Egress

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We (will) have two upstairs rooms. Both have small balconies that you can access the roof from but no stairs. I had not thought about having ladders...adding to the list...

we have 2 internals so not an issue - we did have a 3rd external left over from when we were 1 house ie to make a 2nd but it is no longer required so we got rid of it as it lost us a parking space, and ready for the new extension we are currently building!

IF I am reading this correctly, you want to make a deck or another term for it, a balcony for this room that is also entered from the hall inside the house. Even in WV, this would meet requirements because it is an immediate exit from the house in case of emergency. (You could even go so far as to put a "seat" in it that is the storage area for a folding ladder to hook over the railing for escape route) The balcony would give more safety than in hotels with windows that do not open and the door to the hall is the only way out.
I have access to a first floor roof from all rooms on the second floor and those windows are always on larch unless the $%^&* guests have dicked around with the latches which happens more often than I like - yes they have one set on latch and the other on lock which is why I set them in the first place. The front windows are large and have 2 latches. The bathroom and Harris windows are smaller with just one latch - but I have had my fat butt through both so I know it is possible - freaking kids who get the safety lock on doors and are (first one) too young to undo it or (second) a brat making a point to his Mother (I was sleeping)..
Best idea, would likely meet insurance requirements. Railing could have gate with rings in deck to attach a commercial escape ladder. Railing alone might not be strong enough.
And we have one room that has an escape ladder as an alternate to a single staircase egress. The others are OK or can get to a deck one story off the ground. So I guess we have the deck/stair as options for a 2nd floor guest room.

Deck for coffee, exterior spiral stairs for egress. Small sign noting your $500 pet cleaning fee..
The "box"" with folding ladder would be a LOT less expensive than the spiral staircase and still look good.
True- I guess my thought was that some guests would still prefer the permanent private entrance and that a narrow pre-assembled spiral would fit into the existing footprint, be less inviting to theft, and not too challenging to install.
If it goes no stairs, then some kind of emergency egress like you suggest is much less costly.
"Wide loads" and large suitcases have difficulties with spiral staircases. A friend has one IN his house to access their room - he regrets it.
gillumhouse said:
"Wide loads" and large suitcases have difficulties with spiral staircases. A friend has one IN his house to access their room - he regrets it.
That has been another issue. We have had a very large woman and her very large husband on the stairs and telling me they didn't feel safe. I had to stand on them with them as they tried to show me why. I nearly threw up. Nothing in this house can handle that sort of weight, I mean, yes of course it can, but we are not going to push it! (and on that off topic "if you provide KING sized beds, you may have some KING SIZED guests" you can quote me on that one. Super sized, may be a good term. Some people are tall and some people are big, sometimes they have children and they grow up to be supersized.
heart.gif
heart.gif
heart.gif

Okay to be clear - not asking about what sort of stairs, I am asking about GETTING RID OF THE STAIRS altogether, and yes it could prob be called a balcony. DH keeps calling it a deck as that is what it is from a builder's perspective, so it is throwing me.
shades_smile.gif

So I am sayin' keep the stairs
happykeeper said:
funny after reading your tag line on your signature! haha
The vote is not here, there is no poll. I forgot how herding cats the forum is, i have been off my horse for a while. DH said what did they say "I said they are now talking about the type of stairs..."
So DO ANY MORE OF YOU HAVE A SECOND STAIRWAY ON YOUR 2nd FLOOR (vs an emergency ladder or roofline to crawl out on)? Or NO 2nd Stairway?
I got yes from Beach, and No from Breakfast Diva. (Thank you ladies)
We have 2 second floor bedrooms with no egress other than through the door of the bedroom. We have never been challenged on this set up but I am nervous from time to time...it's a long way down. Neither room has a balcony but at one point I toyed with the idea of installing a juliet balcony and rope ladder for emergencies.

Deck for coffee, exterior spiral stairs for egress. Small sign noting your $500 pet cleaning fee..
The "box"" with folding ladder would be a LOT less expensive than the spiral staircase and still look good.
True- I guess my thought was that some guests would still prefer the permanent private entrance and that a narrow pre-assembled spiral would fit into the existing footprint, be less inviting to theft, and not too challenging to install.
If it goes no stairs, then some kind of emergency egress like you suggest is much less costly.
gillumhouse said:
That has been another issue. We have had a very large woman and her very large husband on the stairs and telling me they didn't feel safe. I had to stand on them with them as they tried to show me why. I nearly threw up. Nothing in this house can handle that sort of weight, I mean, yes of course it can, but we are not going to push it! (and on that off topic "if you provide KING sized beds, you may have some KING SIZED guests" you can quote me on that one. Super sized, may be a good term. Some people are tall and some people are big, sometimes they have children and they grow up to be supersized.
heart.gif
heart.gif
heart.gif

Okay to be clear - not asking about what sort of stairs, I am asking about GETTING RID OF THE STAIRS altogether, and yes it could prob be called a balcony. DH keeps calling it a deck as that is what it is from a builder's perspective, so it is throwing me.
shades_smile.gif

happykeeper said:
The vote is not here, there is no poll. I forgot how herding cats the forum is, i have been off my horse for a while. DH said what did they say "I said they are now talking about the type of stairs..."
So DO ANY MORE OF YOU HAVE A SECOND STAIRWAY ON YOUR 2nd FLOOR (vs an emergency ladder or roofline to crawl out on)? Or NO 2nd Stairway?
We have 2 second floor bedrooms with no egress other than through the door of the bedroom. We have never been challenged on this set up but I am nervous from time to time...it's a long way down. Neither room has a balcony but at one point I toyed with the idea of installing a juliet balcony and rope ladder for emergencies.
Silverspoon said:
But is there access to a roof? In other words, they want a way to get away from the fire. Not a simple or easy way, but if you were desperate could you climb out and clamber up onto the roof?

Joey Bloggs mentioned this one once, from a home improvement store. Pretty cheap solution.
ladder.jpg

Joey Bloggs mentioned this one once, from a home improvement store. Pretty cheap solution.
ladder.jpg

gillumhouse said:
heart.gif
heart.gif
heart.gif

shades_smile.gif

happykeeper said:
Silverspoon said:
But is there access to a roof? In other words, they want a way to get away from the fire. Not a simple or easy way, but if you were desperate could you climb out and clamber up onto the roof?
Nope....no roof either. I think it's time to get one of those portable ladders that Arks refers to.

gillumhouse said:
heart.gif
heart.gif
heart.gif

shades_smile.gif

happykeeper said:
Silverspoon said:
When I was doing the research for our solution to the Fire Codes, I believe it was Montana that just specified a window size as the requirement. I e-mailed the Fire Marshal there saying what kind of ladder was required as I did not see a ladder mentions. The reply was that they figures people would jump - a possible broken leg would be preferred to burning. My thought at the time was "HUH???"

gillumhouse said:
heart.gif
heart.gif
heart.gif

shades_smile.gif

happykeeper said:
Silverspoon said:
Nope....no roof either. I think it's time to get one of those portable ladders that Arks refers to.
Silverspoon said:
Get them right at Lowe's for $35!

gillumhouse said:
heart.gif
heart.gif
heart.gif

shades_smile.gif

happykeeper said:
Silverspoon said:
Silverspoon said:
Bit the bullet and ordered 2 @ $29.99 each with free shipping from the big internet store. Thanks for the nudge....it's been on my mind but always got pushed to the back of the list.

gillumhouse said:
heart.gif
heart.gif
heart.gif

shades_smile.gif

happykeeper said:
Silverspoon said:
Silverspoon said:
Bit the bullet and ordered 2 @ $29.99 each with free shipping from the big internet store. Thanks for the nudge....it's been on my mind but always got pushed to the back of the list.
Silverspoon said:
Awshum!

gillumhouse said:
heart.gif
heart.gif
heart.gif

shades_smile.gif

happykeeper said:
Silverspoon said:
Silverspoon said:
Silverspoon said:
Good! Is this something you'll add to your welcome spiel? Blog about it? Or a topic you'd really rather people not be thinking about.

You've been here. We have the 2nd floor balcony (or pavilion, as it's called here). So egress was out there & exit onto the porch roof and out via a ladder from fire department. I think it would be pretty similar for you as far as the closest emergency egress goes for your room.
I would nix the stairs, enlarge the "deck" area (if possible), and possibly put some kind of weather cover (maybe an awning or something that is not considered permanent for building dept or that would cost an arm & leg). Could also be a nice selling point if it just goes as a private residence some day. Less maintenance than all those stairs too.
That's what I'd like to do if staying in that room - sit out there at a little table with my coffee and listen to the birds in the sunshine or rain.... :)

gillumhouse said:
heart.gif
heart.gif
heart.gif

shades_smile.gif

happykeeper said:
Silverspoon said:
Silverspoon said:
Silverspoon said:
Good! Is this something you'll add to your welcome spiel? Blog about it? Or a topic you'd really rather people not be thinking about.
The ladders, along with red extinguishers will be obvious in the closets so we won't be talking about them. But there will be a section in the welcome book to explain for those who take the time to read. Really, we are winding down and taking one of the rooms gradually off the table for guest use so we are rather late in adding the ladders.
We should have done this years ago, I sadly admit.

gillumhouse said:
heart.gif
heart.gif
heart.gif

shades_smile.gif

happykeeper said:
Silverspoon said:
When I was doing the research for our solution to the Fire Codes, I believe it was Montana that just specified a window size as the requirement. I e-mailed the Fire Marshal there saying what kind of ladder was required as I did not see a ladder mentions. The reply was that they figures people would jump - a possible broken leg would be preferred to burning. My thought at the time was "HUH???"
gillumhouse said:
I totally agree with the fire marshal. Expecting a guest to remember there is a ladder in the closet, how to unfold it, open the window, attach the ladder properly, climb out the window backwards, find the rungs of the ladder while a fire alarm is going off and your spouse is screaming or child is crying is too much to expect.
Think about the agility levels of most of the guests we get. At least my guests.
The majority of people caught in a fire situation, or other emergency, try to escape the way they came in. That means the first place they will try is the door. In the dark, in a smoky situation they won't think about the window until the door proves to be the wrong solution.
(This is why all the airlines say the exit may be behind you. They know everyone is facing forward and going to try to escape thru that front door.)
These ladders work more for a family situation where the family actually practices how to use the ladder. And continues to practice frequently.

gillumhouse said:
heart.gif
heart.gif
heart.gif

shades_smile.gif

happykeeper said:
Silverspoon said:
gillumhouse said:
I totally agree with the fire marshal. Expecting a guest to remember there is a ladder in the closet, how to unfold it, open the window, attach the ladder properly, climb out the window backwards, find the rungs of the ladder while a fire alarm is going off and your spouse is screaming or child is crying is too much to expect.
Think about the agility levels of most of the guests we get. At least my guests.
The majority of people caught in a fire situation, or other emergency, try to escape the way they came in. That means the first place they will try is the door. In the dark, in a smoky situation they won't think about the window until the door proves to be the wrong solution.
(This is why all the airlines say the exit may be behind you. They know everyone is facing forward and going to try to escape thru that front door.)
These ladders work more for a family situation where the family actually practices how to use the ladder. And continues to practice frequently.
Morticia said:
Let me quote from the starfish story:
I noticed a small boy approaching me on the beach. As the boy walked, he paused every so often and as he grew closer, the man could see that he was occasionally bending down to pick up an object and throw it into the sea. The boy came closer still and the man called out, “Good morning! May I ask what it is that you are doing?”
The young boy paused, looked up, and replied “Throwing starfish into the ocean. The tide has washed them up onto the beach and they can’t return to the sea by themselves,” the youth replied. “When the sun gets high, they will die, unless I throw them back into the water.”
The old man replied, “But there must be tens of thousands of starfish on this beach. I’m afraid you won’t really be able to make much of a difference.”
The boy bent down, picked up yet another starfish and threw it as far as he could into the ocean. Then he turned, smiled and said, “It made a difference to that one!”
Likewise, as I am someone who could easily manage all the steps necessary to save myself with a means of egress, I'd appreciate having it available. Those who cannot figure it out must fend for themselves as best they can.

gillumhouse said:
heart.gif
heart.gif
heart.gif

shades_smile.gif

happykeeper said:
Silverspoon said:
Silverspoon said:
Silverspoon said:
The ladders, along with red extinguishers will be obvious in the closets so we won't be talking about them. But there will be a section in the welcome book to explain for those who take the time to read. Really, we are winding down and taking one of the rooms gradually off the table for guest use so we are rather late in adding the ladders.
We should have done this years ago, I sadly admit.
Part of my room spiel is telling them about the window for exit. I tell them that unless it is VERY WARM on the derriere to just stay put as the fire dept is across the street. If it is REAL warm, it is every man for himself and which direction to jump - it is prickly but softer than cement. I also tell them there are fire extinguishers because I am required to have them. I DO NOT want anyone to use them- get the hell OUT is what I want.

gillumhouse said:
heart.gif
heart.gif
heart.gif

shades_smile.gif

happykeeper said:
Silverspoon said:
gillumhouse said:
Morticia said:
I noticed a small boy approaching me on the beach. As the boy walked, he paused every so often and as he grew closer, the man could see that he was occasionally bending down to pick up an object and throw it into the sea. The boy came closer still and the man called out, “Good morning! May I ask what it is that you are doing?”
The young boy paused, looked up, and replied “Throwing starfish into the ocean. The tide has washed them up onto the beach and they can’t return to the sea by themselves,” the youth replied. “When the sun gets high, they will die, unless I throw them back into the water.”
The old man replied, “But there must be tens of thousands of starfish on this beach. I’m afraid you won’t really be able to make much of a difference.”
The boy bent down, picked up yet another starfish and threw it as far as he could into the ocean. Then he turned, smiled and said, “It made a difference to that one!”
Likewise, as I am someone who could easily manage all the steps necessary to save myself with a means of egress, I'd appreciate having it available. Those who cannot figure it out must fend for themselves as best they can.
As if to be a lesson for everyone the fire alarm went off at 4am at the hotel l'm at. You'll all be proud to know I went for the door first, not the window. Because I came in thru the door.
You'll also all be proud to know that in a hotel that is probably 75% full I was the first person outside waiting for the fire Dept. Absolutely the first. And it was minutes before there was any noticeable crowd.
Gomez stopped to tie his shoes I was barefoot. Thankfully it didn't snow last night.
I failed to check the door before I opened it however. So I would have fried had there been a fire on my floor outside my door. I did sniff for smoke before I bolted for the stairs.
Now back to bed. False alarm. Night all.

gillumhouse said:
heart.gif
heart.gif
heart.gif

shades_smile.gif

happykeeper said:
Silverspoon said:
gillumhouse said:
Morticia said:
As if to be a lesson for everyone the fire alarm went off at 4am at the hotel l'm at. You'll all be proud to know I went for the door first, not the window. Because I came in thru the door.
You'll also all be proud to know that in a hotel that is probably 75% full I was the first person outside waiting for the fire Dept. Absolutely the first. And it was minutes before there was any noticeable crowd.
Gomez stopped to tie his shoes I was barefoot. Thankfully it didn't snow last night.
I failed to check the door before I opened it however. So I would have fried had there been a fire on my floor outside my door. I did sniff for smoke before I bolted for the stairs.
Now back to bed. False alarm. Night all.
Morticia said:
...I was the first person outside waiting for the fire Dept. Absolutely the first. And it was minutes before there was any noticeable crowd...
Most people's first assumption is, false alarm. And they're almost always right.
Almost.
Glad you got out fast, just in case. Just feel that door for heat next time. Of course, they say smoke kills more people than flame.

Back