Everything else is booked!

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What's good language for turning down a request for a discount? I got the "can't you give me a better rate" question a couple of weeks ago and I replied, "No, sorry. The rates are what they are." But I feel like I need a better response, one more clever, or nicer, or something..
Someone here suggested: "Our discounts are built into our prices"
I've used it. It works.
That was me. Whenever I get asked about AAA, AARP, Military or other discounts after I've given them the room rate, my response verbatim is: "We've already built those discounts into our prices." Going on four years, I've never, never had anybody question that. I have no idea why.

What's good language for turning down a request for a discount? I got the "can't you give me a better rate" question a couple of weeks ago and I replied, "No, sorry. The rates are what they are." But I feel like I need a better response, one more clever, or nicer, or something..
Someone here suggested: "Our discounts are built into our prices"
I've used it. It works.
That was me. Whenever I get asked about AAA, AARP, Military or other discounts after I've given them the room rate, my response verbatim is: "We've already built those discounts into our prices." Going on four years, I've never, never had anybody question that. I have no idea why.
One of the best darn everyday simple but brilliant pieces of advice gleaned from this forum. Thank you Mr. D!

Some people, typically younger and less experienced with B&B, not familiar with going rates, are compelled to ask for a discount because of the TV ad, "never pay full price". A few years back, I had a guy on the phone, he really wanted to stay here (plotting romance, I suspect), but I could hear his girlfriend in the background keep insisting that he get some discount. Finally I said we do have one special: $10 off for carbon-based lifeforms, did he qualify? He paused, thinking about it and then said enthusiastically, yes! So, the room went for $155. DW heartily disapproved, but I figured, DW is like the girlfriend -- tight/cheap are two sides of the same coin -- so I am helping a brother.

Some people, typically younger and less experienced with B&B, not familiar with going rates, are compelled to ask for a discount because of the TV ad, "never pay full price". A few years back, I had a guy on the phone, he really wanted to stay here (plotting romance, I suspect), but I could hear his girlfriend in the background keep insisting that he get some discount. Finally I said we do have one special: $10 off for carbon-based lifeforms, did he qualify? He paused, thinking about it and then said enthusiastically, yes! So, the room went for $155. DW heartily disapproved, but I figured, DW is like the girlfriend -- tight/cheap are two sides of the same coin -- so I am helping a brother..
Whatever quoted on the phone stands here, you can hit the other over the head but it stands….

Some people, typically younger and less experienced with B&B, not familiar with going rates, are compelled to ask for a discount because of the TV ad, "never pay full price". A few years back, I had a guy on the phone, he really wanted to stay here (plotting romance, I suspect), but I could hear his girlfriend in the background keep insisting that he get some discount. Finally I said we do have one special: $10 off for carbon-based lifeforms, did he qualify? He paused, thinking about it and then said enthusiastically, yes! So, the room went for $155. DW heartily disapproved, but I figured, DW is like the girlfriend -- tight/cheap are two sides of the same coin -- so I am helping a brother..
I've done $10 off for a good story.

Morticia said:
Well me too... but ONE story per reservation!

Caller today found me on a site that picks up TA - TC: called go seek (FYI didn't know that happens)

Anyhow he asked for the $10 off I offer on TA - TC! This after stating he is on a fixed income yada...and wanted my cheapest room rate for my best room. He was doing his best to try to confuse me into saying yes to that. Then he proceeded to ask for a AAA discount as well. Sorry only 1 discount per reservation. Crickets.

Back