Expedia buys HomeAway

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
keep-calm-but-we-re-all-doomed1.png

I'm sitting here wondering if they will sell of the reservation software division to someone else and the B&B website get folded into HA.
But at lest I made a few thousand on the deal. I own share. Figure if I'm going to do business with them, I should own a part of them.

I don't know guys, they just bought Orbitz and now HA. Seems like they have too much money and a small part of me thinks they are slightly worried on Priceline and Tripadvisor.
Tripadvisor is the real competitor, with their content and now their quasi OTA instant booking they are turning into an OTA without the overhead of customer service as all those problems are passed onto the other business while they charge near OTA commissions. Gotta love their business model.

Here is an article I read this am with CEO of both being interviewed.
From the looks of things, fast skim through, it seems Expedia is wanting to expand their offerings. Most of the article was more about the vacation rental side. I don't even recall seeing anything about b&b.com.

I don't know guys, they just bought Orbitz and now HA. Seems like they have too much money and a small part of me thinks they are slightly worried on Priceline and Tripadvisor.
Tripadvisor is the real competitor, with their content and now their quasi OTA instant booking they are turning into an OTA without the overhead of customer service as all those problems are passed onto the other business while they charge near OTA commissions. Gotta love their business model..
Expedia owns TripAdvisor.

Tripadvisor is the real competitor, with their content and now their quasi OTA instant booking they are turning into an OTA without the overhead of customer service as all those problems are passed onto the other business while they charge near OTA commissions. Gotta love their business model..
Generic said:
I thought that they broke away several years ago? - yep

In December 2011, TripAdvisor was spun off from Expedia in a public offering.[14] source Wiki

Generic said:

In December 2011, TripAdvisor was spun off from Expedia in a public offering.[14] source Wiki
Damn, you are right. They are still in bed with them, though.
I do wonder if they will spin off part of what they bought in HomeAway, since their interest is likely HomeAway's website and maybe B&B's website but likely not the software side of it.

Generic said:

techinically yes - but they own something like 60% of the stock so its all a bit circular

Generic said:

I do wonder if they will spin off part of what they bought in HomeAway, since their interest is likely HomeAway's website and maybe B&B's website but likely not the software side of it.
Generic said:
I would expect them to sell the software side, too.

Generic said:

techinically yes - but they own something like 60% of the stock so its all a bit circular
Jcam said:
I quote from Tripadvisors official page:
What was the date of record of the TripAdvisor spin-off? How much of TripAdvisor, Inc. does Expedia continue to own?
Following the close of trading on December 20, 2011, 100% of the outstanding shares of TripAdvisor, Inc. was spun off to Expedia shareholders of record as of December 20, 2011, ending Expedia's ownership of TripAdvisor.

Latest posts

Back