Expedia dragging both feet ?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

souslechene

Reaction score
At my request, Expedia closed our contract & shut down our availability on their website Expedia.com 110 days ago. Our contract formally closed 45 days ago.
Today, Expedia still uses our name and pictures on their website even though I kept asking them to remove the pages concerned. One of their page is visible in Google's 1st page when searching our name "Nuit d'un Jour".
By keeping these pages open, I believe they are attempting to divert visitors looking for us to their website and to other properties on which they are paid commissions, using our IP to their benefit, against our consent.
Be cautious if considering joining them.
View more details on our blog.

Did you trademark your name? If you did, you can then ask to remove all reference as permission to use the trademark has been removed.
But from what I hear this isn't uncommon. There is a property in Mexico fighing the same battle.

Did you trademark your name? If you did, you can then ask to remove all reference as permission to use the trademark has been removed.
But from what I hear this isn't uncommon. There is a property in Mexico fighing the same battle..
Eric Arthur Blair said:
But from what I hear this isn't uncommon. There is a property in Mexico fighting the same battle.
Luna Blue Hotel, but their case seems even worse.
Trademark on the name or not, they still use our IP.
In any case, the legal problem is one thing. The human problem is worse. Feeling raped by this behaviour.

But from what I hear this isn't uncommon. There is a property in Mexico fighing the same battle..
Eric Arthur Blair said:
But from what I hear this isn't uncommon. There is a property in Mexico fighting the same battle.
Luna Blue Hotel, but their case seems even worse.
Trademark on the name or not, they still use our IP.
In any case, the legal problem is one thing. The human problem is worse. Feeling raped by this behaviour.
Do you have small claims court near you? Might be interesting to make Expedia have to send someone to your jurisdiction to defend themselves. Might be cheaper for them to fix the problem than to deal with local courts.

If they do not move fast, this will be a way to explore. Thks.
They told me today that "their technical teams are still working to find a solution".
Feels like this is a first for them to have to remove the pages of a property from their pages! Looks like a major technical challenge to them.
How many properties are in this situation without knowing.

Eric Arthur Blair said:
Did you trademark your name?
Interesting. Does ANYBODY out there trademark their B&B name?

Eric Arthur Blair said:
Arkansawyer said:
Eric Arthur Blair said:
NO.
There are quite a few inns with our name.

I did a quick search yesterday and couldn't find it, but I KNOW there is a way to report this to google. It might be in your webmaster tools. They don't make it easy to find, but give it a try. I've heard it mentioned in a couple of seminars I've attended. You have to document your correspondence you've had and follow google guidelines before you report them.
We had been listed on exped & hotels. through bb.com years ago and after I cancelled it took a long time to disappear from their listings.
So sorry you're going through this!

Eric Arthur Blair said:
Arkansawyer said:
Eric Arthur Blair said:
NO.
Joey Bloggs said:
Bet there aren't any others with mine! Of course, nobody here can pronounce the name correctly, must less spell it. The family name the guesthouse is named for died out years ago thanks to having daughters rather than sons! The great-granddaugher of the old German who built the place is in her nineties (I bought the place from her) and I've GOT to get her in there for a tour while she's still able!

Eric Arthur Blair said:
YES, some of us do.... I have. In fact I trademarked our name in a few categories including for usage on souvenirs. I haven't used it, but I can ask Google to not accept bids on our name, since someone else using it is a violation of our TM. And that's the reason I did it.

Eric Arthur Blair said:
YES, some of us do.... I have. In fact I trademarked our name in a few categories including for usage on souvenirs. I haven't used it, but I can ask Google to not accept bids on our name, since someone else using it is a violation of our TM. And that's the reason I did it.
Eric Arthur Blair said:
...someone else using it is a violation of our TM. And that's the reason I did it.
It must be frustrating, with the "branches" in Brockport, Savannah, and Saskatoon. Really hard for we smalltimers to enforce a trademark, but you do what you can do.

Eric Arthur Blair said:
Eric Arthur Blair said:
...someone else using it is a violation of our TM. And that's the reason I did it.
It must be frustrating, with the "branches" in Brockport, Savannah, and Saskatoon. Really hard for we smalltimers to enforce a trademark, but you do what you can do.
Arkansawyer said:
Eric Arthur Blair said:
Worse than that for a small family owned business is competing online for SEO. oi I have to battle it out to always remain in the lead.

Eric Arthur Blair said:
Eric Arthur Blair said:
My TM is for Canada and for B&Bs specifically. So none of the others are in violation (and therefore also couldn't contest my TM request. But it's there and registered and if the people in Saskatoon decide to make T-Shirts, I can stop them.

Eric Arthur Blair said:
Eric Arthur Blair said:
BTW, I would assume that the guy in Brockport hates me anyway. I so dominate the term that if you look it up on Google.COM he appears ONCE in the first page. With .CA he doesn't make it to the page at all (and Saskatoon makes it once) only to the second page. Essentially for all intents and purposes when you look up our name, you find us.

Eric Arthur Blair said:
Eric Arthur Blair said:
BTW, I would assume that the guy in Brockport hates me anyway. I so dominate the term that if you look it up on Google.COM he appears ONCE in the first page. With .CA he doesn't make it to the page at all (and Saskatoon makes it once) only to the second page. Essentially for all intents and purposes when you look up our name, you find us.
Eric Arthur Blair said:
Essentially for all intents and purposes when you look up our name, you find us.
Yep, you've done well!

Back