Expedia vs Booking.com

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes the charges in Europe were by the hotels when I booked by b.com, but the prices at b.com were quite a bit less than the prices listed at the hotel websites. I can only guess that the difference is because the b.com bookings were 100% up front, non-refundable while the hotel sites didn't mention that. It's the same when I book a USA room at the hotel's website. To get the best price, it's up front and no refunds.
...we had ~20-25 reservations through B.com last year
That means I would have 1 or 2. But it doesn't matter. Since they take a commission rather than a yearly fee, that's great for me. I'm glad to get 1 or 2 bookings I otherwise might not make. The 15% commission is within the neighborhood of the discount I offer in ads and through Inn Rewards, so I'm fine with that. Thanks!.
For me, the main problem is that b.com does ppc on your property's name. So what happens is that when a guest or return guest does a search for your property, the first thing on the page is the b.com listing. Most guests don't know the difference between your website and a directory. They then book on b.com and you pay a commission on a guest you would have gained through your own marketing efforts.
Don't use them, but two suggestions...
Have different cancellation policies for them than direct. And have a special discount code that they can use when rebooking on your website, so if they don't see where they can put the code or it doesn't work... they know they may be in the wrong place. A business card with the code should do it. :)
Sugar Bear said:
Have different cancellation policies for them than direct. And have a special discount code that they can use when rebooking on your website, so if they don't see where they can put the code or it doesn't work... they know they may be in the wrong place. A business card with the code should do it. :)
Most of my repeat guests get a discount already. And most of them just call me. If they don't get a discount, they get a gift. These folks thought this was my booking engine, they had no idea I was charged when they did that.
Madeleine said:
Sugar Bear said:
Most of my repeat guests get a discount already. And most of them just call me. If they don't get a discount, they get a gift. These folks thought this was my booking engine, they had no idea I was charged when they did that.
The same thing happened to me when I signed up for bb.com's booking engine. The first reservation I got was a 5 night reservation from a return guest! Here's the crazy thing. This guest is a manager at a large hotel chain. Even he wasn't aware of the difference of booking directly on our website and the bb.com book it now. When I called him and told him the commission we would have to pay, he was stunned. He cancelled his bb.com reservation and booked directly with us. I gave them a really nice gift for doing so.
The next two bookings I got from bb.com were the same thing...repeat guests. At that point I refused to load any availability on their booking engine and cancelled after a year.
If b.com stopped doing ppc on my property name, I would join them in a heartbeat!
Breakfast Diva said:
The same thing happened to me when I signed up for bb.com's booking engine. The first reservation I got was a 5 night reservation from a return guest! Here's the crazy thing. This guest is a manager at a large hotel chain. Even he wasn't aware of the difference of booking directly on our website and the bb.com book it now. When I called him and told him the commission we would have to pay, he was stunned. He cancelled his bb.com reservation and booked directly with us. I gave them a really nice gift for doing so.
The next two bookings I got from bb.com were the same thing...repeat guests. At that point I refused to load any availability on their booking engine and cancelled after a year.
If b.com stopped doing ppc on my property name, I would join them in a heartbeat!
One of the many reasons I did not sign up for this 'feature'. We get a lot of guests who say they found us on bb.com. Why should I then pay another $100 for the reservation?
Madeleine said:
Breakfast Diva said:
One of the many reasons I did not sign up for this 'feature'. We get a lot of guests who say they found us on bb.com. Why should I then pay another $100 for the reservation?
If you were with one of THEIR booking softwares it is free
angry_smile.gif
(at least it has been, not sure about today) to have your availability and booking link on their site. Dangle the cheese to see if you bite, or pay the price! One thing is for sure they know how to market.
bb.com wanted $100 to have a link (any link that is not owned by bb.com) to our reservation system. I'm not paying that! What I did was at the beginning of the description of our property, in caps, I wrote BE SURE TO VISIT OUR WEBSITE TO SEE CURRENT RATES AND TO MAKE RESERVATIONS ONLINE.

Yes the charges in Europe were by the hotels when I booked by b.com, but the prices at b.com were quite a bit less than the prices listed at the hotel websites. I can only guess that the difference is because the b.com bookings were 100% up front, non-refundable while the hotel sites didn't mention that. It's the same when I book a USA room at the hotel's website. To get the best price, it's up front and no refunds.
That means I would have 1 or 2. But it doesn't matter. Since they take a commission rather than a yearly fee, that's great for me. I'm glad to get 1 or 2 bookings I otherwise might not make. The 15% commission is within the neighborhood of the discount I offer in ads and through Inn Rewards, so I'm fine with that. Thanks!.
For me, the main problem is that b.com does ppc on your property's name. So what happens is that when a guest or return guest does a search for your property, the first thing on the page is the b.com listing. Most guests don't know the difference between your website and a directory. They then book on b.com and you pay a commission on a guest you would have gained through your own marketing efforts.
Sugar Bear said:
Madeleine said:
Sugar Bear said:
Breakfast Diva said:
Madeleine said:
Breakfast Diva said:
angry_smile.gif
(at least it has been, not sure about today) to have your availability and booking link on their site. Dangle the cheese to see if you bite, or pay the price! One thing is for sure they know how to market.
bb.com wanted $100 to have a link (any link that is not owned by bb.com) to our reservation system. I'm not paying that! What I did was at the beginning of the description of our property, in caps, I wrote BE SURE TO VISIT OUR WEBSITE TO SEE CURRENT RATES AND TO MAKE RESERVATIONS ONLINE.
Breakfast Diva said:
THAT's why you are the DIVA of more than breakfast!
wink_smile.gif

Sugar Bear said:
Madeleine said:
Sugar Bear said:
Breakfast Diva said:
Madeleine said:
Breakfast Diva said:
angry_smile.gif
Breakfast Diva said:
wink_smile.gif

copperhead said:
Breakfast Diva said:
wink_smile.gif
Awww, gee, thanks!
embaressed_smile.gif

Breakfast Diva said:
Before signing with Booking, you may ask them (firmly) that they should agree not to do any ppc on your property name as it is disrespectful of the partnership both of you want to establish. Worked easy for me. I fought vigourously for all other companies to stop such practices and I succeed. I still need to double check regularly and stop "offenders".
I only failed with Expedia and ended up closing my contract mostly for this reason.
TripAdvisor was longest fight and only succeeded through contacting a big head on Twitter.
This is a shameful behavior from all of them.

Breakfast Diva said:
Before signing with Booking, you may ask them (firmly) that they should agree not to do any ppc on your property name as it is disrespectful of the partnership both of you want to establish. Worked easy for me. I fought vigourously for all other companies to stop such practices and I succeed. I still need to double check regularly and stop "offenders".
I only failed with Expedia and ended up closing my contract mostly for this reason.
TripAdvisor was longest fight and only succeeded through contacting a big head on Twitter.
souslechene said:
Breakfast Diva said:
That's great info Souslechene! Did they put it in writing in your contract? Have they ever tried to place it back?

Breakfast Diva said:
souslechene said:
Breakfast Diva said:
That's great info Souslechene! Did they put it in writing in your contract? Have they ever tried to place it back?
Breakfast Diva said:
souslechene said:
Breakfast Diva said:
Yes, I have it in writing in a separate email, and yes, they tried several times to do it. Regular checking and reminding them is necessary but they try to keep their word. One of their affiliates even created a GoogleMaps listing taking over all our Maps traffic (8% of our bookings!). It is important to do it before signing as some other B&Bs here could not have it reversed. If you cannot have it accepted by Booking, all others will take this as an excuse to do it as they would say it is unfair if Booking can do it and not them. Law is on their side.
Overall, I am satisfied by Booking.com. They are professionnal and have very good service. Of course (!?), they try to take advantage of our innocence. But it is our duty to learn this new distribution channel that is Internet and find solutions to use Booking without letting them using us. Never trust their advices and always try to understant what they want and what is good for you. Some time ago, they advised us to upload more and bigger pictures. My answer was to remove full pictures of the rooms, leaving only details, so that their visitors would be enticed to find more pictures on our website where I try to change them in bookers.
I am more scared of Google than Booking...

Breakfast Diva said:
souslechene said:
Breakfast Diva said:
Breakfast Diva said:
souslechene said:
Breakfast Diva said:
Yes, I have it in writing in a separate email, and yes, they tried several times to do it. Regular checking and reminding them is necessary but they try to keep their word. One of their affiliates even created a GoogleMaps listing taking over all our Maps traffic (8% of our bookings!). It is important to do it before signing as some other B&Bs here could not have it reversed. If you cannot have it accepted by Booking, all others will take this as an excuse to do it as they would say it is unfair if Booking can do it and not them. Law is on their side.
Overall, I am satisfied by Booking.com. They are professionnal and have very good service. Of course (!?), they try to take advantage of our innocence. But it is our duty to learn this new distribution channel that is Internet and find solutions to use Booking without letting them using us. Never trust their advices and always try to understant what they want and what is good for you. Some time ago, they advised us to upload more and bigger pictures. My answer was to remove full pictures of the rooms, leaving only details, so that their visitors would be enticed to find more pictures on our website where I try to change them in bookers.
souslechene said:
thumbs_up.gif

With great power comes great responsibility. Google has great power, for example Google Drops The Hammer On Expedia

Breakfast Diva said:
souslechene said:
Breakfast Diva said:
Breakfast Diva said:
souslechene said:
Breakfast Diva said:
souslechene said:
I'm glad you got this in writing! Of course, I did not even think of doing it.
I like your idea of removing photos. One of my big peeves is guests who look at those photos on booking, then go to my website, find the same room and tell me in the booking reservation what room they want. No can do. You want THAT room, you book with me. Otherwise you get whatever room is left. (Which, judging by the rooms I have gotten thru booking services is exactly what the hotels do.)
Many of them do this in the off season when they do not want to pay for a fireplace but they want one. They book thru booking for a standard room then tell me they want a fireplace room.
Do I care if my listing drops down? Not really. Just seeing the name in the list will help some guests decide

Back