Extra guest

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We have only enough seats at the table for our guests...2/accommodation. So an extra person has no where to sit. We would have to drag another chair into the dining room and squeeze them in, making it quite obvious that we have no room for an unexpected guest. With that said, rather than make a confrontation, I would offer beverage and cold cereal. Once the breakfast is over I would have a little talk with the person who made the reservation to underscore the fact that we only serve and prepare for registered guests.
If, like sea shanty, they are traveling alone and the guest is the second person in the room, we would be happy to prepare a breakfast for them on the second day, after they have registered. But if the extra guest were a third person, I would make it clear that we are not set up for extra people.

i fed them. basically take 1/3 off each plate and make it for the fourth person.
as for charging - was it one room or two? most places say maximum occ for my room is two ... and though i'm alone, right or wrong as a guest i assume i can bring someone along at no extra charge.
i would say they are probably not thinking this causes a problem in the kitchen.
You would assume you could bring some one else around to stay in your room! WOW! If you charge the same price for a room with two people or one person . This does not make a difference as the second person in this case was not a registered guest at the time of booking. It is also a safety issue when you bring in an unregistered person. Would I feed them ? No! plain and simply.
see - this confuses me. i stayed at a red ro of inn in june for two nights - had a friend with me who also stayed. we both stood at the counter checking in, both had our own luggage, but only i was asked for my name and id. no question at all about who the second person was staying with me.
staying at a b&b, i never brought in an 'extra' person unplanned for.
when i had the b&b, i always wanted to know who was staying since it was also my home ... but never found out the rules or actual laws about it. would think it's needed in case there was a fire or whatever. but often was not told who else was staying and had to ask.
are hotels lax in this area?
if this is the norm with hotels, do you think it's because these guests were 'hotel' people and used to being much more anonymous ... or something?
Flower said:
You would assume you could bring some one else around to stay in your room! WOW! If you charge the same price for a room with two people or one person . This does not make a difference as the second person in this case was not a registered guest at the time of booking. It is also a safety issue when you bring in an unregistered person. Would I feed them ? No! plain and simply.

Extra breakfasts $15 here. If they sat down, they would be fed - and charged..
I would do the same. If they book the room for single I would let them know that since there are 2 guests in the room there is an outstanding balance. Re. food- if I had enough of regular meal for the day - that would they get if not I would tel them - sorry, we did not expect an extra person- this is what we can offer you - and just improvise.

I need more info before I could tell you what I would do...
was it a 3rd person?
was the room booked for a single and they brought someone else with them?
was this a self check-in?.
Reservation made for 3 guests, 3 guests checked in. 4th guest showed up later. No one mentioned the 4th guest on check in.
4th guest sat down with them in the morning and they explained this person decided at the last minute to drive up.
No apology. No offer to pay for the person.
Do not wait for the offer to pay - just tell them that rate for 3 is different than for 4. "Please step to my office to settle up". They most likely think is like hotel - "What is the big deal?"

i fed them. basically take 1/3 off each plate and make it for the fourth person.
as for charging - was it one room or two? most places say maximum occ for my room is two ... and though i'm alone, right or wrong as a guest i assume i can bring someone along at no extra charge.
i would say they are probably not thinking this causes a problem in the kitchen.
see - this confuses me. i stayed at a red ro of inn in june for two nights - had a friend with me who also stayed. we both stood at the counter checking in, both had our own luggage, but only i was asked for my name and id. no question at all about who the second person was staying with me.
when i had the b&b, i always wanted to know who was staying since it was also my home ... but never found out the rules or actual laws about it. would think it's needed in case there was a fire or whatever. but often was not told who else was staying and had to ask.
if this is the norm with hotels, do you think it's because these guests were 'hotel' people and used to being much more anonymous ... or something?
Flower said:
In a Hotel they do charge per person. Yes do people sneak other in, You bet they do! But if you are caught you are charged. In this case you mention above you were both present at check in and the hotel/ Inn was dealing with the person who was paying for the room. In the B&B they were not there at check in...... But only showed up at breakfast.
Why take from people that paid for breakfast and give some of their proportion of breakfast, to a person that did not pay to stay?
Maddie question was would you charge them ? Yes I would for sure. You pay you stay and enjoy our labour of love, our beautiful breakfast.
We are not S.. .Army and give food away to the needed.

Flower said:
In a Hotel they do charge per person. Yes do people sneak other in, You bet they do! But if you are caught you are charged. In this case you mention above you were both present at check in and the hotel/ Inn was dealing with the person who was paying for the room. In the B&B they were not there at check in...... But only showed up at breakfast.
Why take from people that paid for breakfast and give some of their proportion of breakfast, to a person that did not pay to stay?
Maddie question was would you charge them ? Yes I would for sure. You pay you stay and enjoy our labour of love, our beautiful breakfast.
I think the question is would you serve him?
I would.
We have permitted early check ins to join in breakfast. But we don't do plated service.
I would invite him to enjoy coffee and let him know, I'm afraid I didn't expect you, but I can offer you a muffin and coffee.

Flower said:
because they were together.
and because i refused to discount for no breakfast, saying it was complimentary for the room stay --- so i got in the reverse situation of being asked 'how much without breakfast'
and because the charge was not different for 1 or 2 people in a room
Flower said:
and it's not just the breakfast. it's the use of the shower, the towels, the amenities when more people are in a room.
i am just giving my honest response here ... saying what i would have done .... and i probably should not try to figure out her guests.

Flower said:
Flower said:
My question was NOT about charging them but that's the basic question everyone is answering!
My question was: do you feed them? Or say there isn't enough to go around?
I'm always trying to figure if it's best to be gracious or in the guest's face!

Flower said:
I would.
We have permitted early check ins to join in breakfast. But we don't do plated service.
I would invite him to enjoy coffee and let him know, I'm afraid I didn't expect you, but I can offer you a muffin and coffee.
TheBeachHouse said:
Beachie, while this is nice of you , it sure sets a notable memory that guests may think other B&B's should also do this and get a bad review when they are turned away at 9am.

Flower said:
I would.
TheBeachHouse said:
Beachie, while this is nice of you , it sure sets a notable memory that guests may think other B&B's should also do this and get a bad review when they are turned away at 9am.
Copperhead said:
TheBeachHouse said:
We didn't check them in. It was more like, "We know we're early, do you mind if we sit here while we wait?" "Of course not." "Would it be ok if I had a cup of coffee?" "Sure, please help yourself."

Flower said:
Flower said:
My question was NOT about charging them but that's the basic question everyone is answering!
Madeleine said:
Flower said:
That's because if I'm not charging them, I'm not feeding them! It's always best to be gracious, but gracious comes in many styles. Charging them does not mean you're not gracious.

Flower said:
Flower said:
Madeleine said:
Flower said:
That's because if I'm not charging them, I'm not feeding them! It's always best to be gracious, but gracious comes in many styles. Charging them does not mean you're not gracious.
Breakfast Diva said:
Madeleine said:
Flower said:
If I understand correctly, the extra guest was invited by a single person in a double room. So technically, they had already paid the rate for two breakfasts. The issue is that Maddie didn't have the stock to make two breakfasts because the guy checked in as a single. So the question of charging is moot.
The big question is, who the heck are you and what are you doing in my house????
Along with - I don't have any food for you, what should I do?

Flower said:
Flower said:
Madeleine said:
Flower said:
Breakfast Diva said:
Madeleine said:
Flower said:
If I understand correctly, the extra guest was invited by a single person in a double room. So technically, they had already paid the rate for two breakfasts. The issue is that Maddie didn't have the stock to make two breakfasts because the guy checked in as a single. So the question of charging is moot.
The big question is, who the heck are you and what are you doing in my house????
Hmmm, that's not how I read it. I'm thinking that the 3 were in one of the rooms with 2 beds.

Flower said:
Flower said:
Madeleine said:
Flower said:
Breakfast Diva said:
Madeleine said:
Flower said:
Hmmm, that's not how I read it. I'm thinking that the 3 were in one of the rooms with 2 beds.
Breakfast Diva said:
I looked back and you're right, it isn't specified. A third guest is an automatic charge. Yes. And I would feed him just to be hospitable. But then I'd run right over here and tell y'all about the presumptuous guests we had to bend over backward for. LOL

Flower said:
Flower said:
Madeleine said:
Flower said:
Breakfast Diva said:
Madeleine said:
Flower said:
Breakfast Diva said:
Reservation made for 3 guests, 3 guests checked in. 4th guest showed up later. No one mentioned the 4th guest on check in.
4th guest sat down with them in the morning and they explained this person decided at the last minute to drive up.

Flower said:
Flower said:
Madeleine said:
Flower said:
Breakfast Diva said:
Madeleine said:
Flower said:
Breakfast Diva said:
In that instance, I would say "Oh, since I wasn't aware that you'd be joining your friends last night, I didn't prepare the regular breakfast for you. However, I can gladly get you something, let me see what I have." This doesn't promise them anything specific like what everyone else is having, it shows that you were unaware and it could only be taken as a nice gesture by your other guests. You could give them fruit and toast or yogurt and toast or a scrambled egg, whatever worked for you. Then I would just add the extra person charge to their room for whatever nights he was staying. No discussion needed about the extra person charge, it's a policy and they can question on the way out if they want to.
We once had a guest ask right int he middle of serving if she could sit out on the deck. We do service in the dining room because it's too difficult for my husband with hands full to open the doors and close the doors and not let flies in so we don't serve out there. Therefore, the tables weren't clean or setup. He politely asked if they could sit inside as the tables were clean or setup. Another guest who gave us a 4 for their review said that they would have given us a 5 had my husband not said NO to a guest in front of them - that innkeepers should do whatever they need to do say YES to a guest. WHAT? Yes, they marked us down because we said no to another guest. So keep this in mind that what you say to one guest is being heard by all the rest.

Flower said:
Flower said:
Madeleine said:
Flower said:
Breakfast Diva said:
Madeleine said:
Flower said:
Breakfast Diva said:
In that instance, I would say "Oh, since I wasn't aware that you'd be joining your friends last night, I didn't prepare the regular breakfast for you. However, I can gladly get you something, let me see what I have." This doesn't promise them anything specific like what everyone else is having, it shows that you were unaware and it could only be taken as a nice gesture by your other guests. You could give them fruit and toast or yogurt and toast or a scrambled egg, whatever worked for you. Then I would just add the extra person charge to their room for whatever nights he was staying. No discussion needed about the extra person charge, it's a policy and they can question on the way out if they want to.
We once had a guest ask right int he middle of serving if she could sit out on the deck. We do service in the dining room because it's too difficult for my husband with hands full to open the doors and close the doors and not let flies in so we don't serve out there. Therefore, the tables weren't clean or setup. He politely asked if they could sit inside as the tables were clean or setup. Another guest who gave us a 4 for their review said that they would have given us a 5 had my husband not said NO to a guest in front of them - that innkeepers should do whatever they need to do say YES to a guest. WHAT? Yes, they marked us down because we said no to another guest. So keep this in mind that what you say to one guest is being heard by all the rest.
MtnKeeper said:
Another guest who gave us a 4 for their review said that they would have given us a 5 had my husband not said NO to a guest in front of them - that innkeepers should do whatever they need to do say YES to a guest. WHAT? Yes, they marked us down because we said no to another guest. So keep this in mind that what you say to one guest is being heard by all the rest.
You have no idea how much arrogance like that sets my teeth on edge!
The reviewer's stay was impacted by hearing the word 'no' said to someone else? Poor them. Must be a magical little world they live in.

Flower said:
Flower said:
Madeleine said:
Flower said:
Breakfast Diva said:
Madeleine said:
Flower said:
Breakfast Diva said:
MtnKeeper said:
did you respond?

Flower said:
Flower said:
Madeleine said:
Flower said:
Breakfast Diva said:
Madeleine said:
Flower said:
Breakfast Diva said:
Graciousness....
Yes, I would feed them. If I truly didn't have enough to go around I would simply say something like.... "Welcome, unfortunately we prepared breakfast ahead of time to serve exactly the number of guests that we had registered. I'm sure you understand that. Please partake of the continental breakfast and I will see if we can manage an extra plate."

Back