Fake Allergies

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I eat gluten free because it's helping me. But I NEVER expect to be served special pancakes and things. A bowl of rice chex or cheerios is just fine if you've got them! It might sound weird, but I have dry cereal and fruit as a side with my scrambled eggs. No toast needed! :).
seashanty said:
I eat gluten free because it's helping me. But I NEVER expect to be served special pancakes and things. A bowl of rice chex or cheerios is just fine if you've got them! It might sound weird, but I have dry cereal and fruit as a side with my scrambled eggs. No toast needed! :)
We always have Cheerios!

Let's talk lactose. 4 guests this month with 'lactose intolerance'. On further delving, 1 guest could not have it at all in any form. The other 3? Oh, I just can't drink a big glass of it! We don't serve big glasses of milk for breakfast. These 3 are non-starters as far as problems. Why bother bringing it up?.
That's important. We have a quiche dish we serve almost every day, but we can make a baked egg dish instead. Knowing about a milk issue, we'd go baked eggs.
On the other hand, if someone doesn't want to drink milk, ok by me! They don't have to!

Let's talk lactose. 4 guests this month with 'lactose intolerance'. On further delving, 1 guest could not have it at all in any form. The other 3? Oh, I just can't drink a big glass of it! We don't serve big glasses of milk for breakfast. These 3 are non-starters as far as problems. Why bother bringing it up?.
That's important. We have a quiche dish we serve almost every day, but we can make a baked egg dish instead. Knowing about a milk issue, we'd go baked eggs.
On the other hand, if someone doesn't want to drink milk, ok by me! They don't have to!
TheBeachHouse said:
We also serve quiche or eggs finished with heavy cream. But, if you can have cooked lactose why just put in your reservation 'lactose intolerant' and then not answer the follow up questions, and then arrive late so I don't know until 9am that you just don't drink milk?
Save the comments for something serious!

TheBeachHouse said:
We also serve quiche or eggs finished with heavy cream. But, if you can have cooked lactose why just put in your reservation 'lactose intolerant' and then not answer the follow up questions, and then arrive late so I don't know until 9am that you just don't drink milk?
Save the comments for something serious!
Exactly!

Morticia said:
These 3 are non-starters as far as problems. Why bother bringing it up?
Because it's a badge of honor.
confused_smile.gif

Yep.
News flash people, a two week fad diet of eating no wheat products does not = "Gluten Intolerant".
I couldn't agree more! Guests decided 1 month before their reservation to change their diet to GF & vegan. During their 6-day stay, I rose to the challenge, while they ate all of the Hershey's milk chocolates I provided in their room.
Don't tell me that you "cheat" a little. If you "cheat", then "cheat" at my breakfast table so I don't have to buy expensive ingredients and bend over backwards for your kinda-sorta dietary need. I recently had a guest call 3 days in advance to tell me they're vegan. No problem. During their stay I prepared crepes for them with almond milk, chia seeds, and margarine (only certain margarines lack whey protein, you have to carefully read labels.) When it came time to serve, I mention to the guest that I was making banana nutella crepes for the other 5 guests but I could make theirs plain banana or banana peanut butter because nutella contains skim milk. She told me that she loves nutella and doesn't mind a little dairy. <sigh>
Way back when we first started, when dinosaurs roamed the Earth, we had a family of vegans book for the busiest weekend of the year. We have a vegan cookbook, so we looked up a couple of recipes.
Then Gomez crashed his motorcycle, and ended up in the hospital for that busy weekend.
I soldiered on. Bought everything I needed and made vegan casserole for everyone. (No way I could cook 20 different breakfasts by myself!)
Deliver the plates to the family and make a joke - no animals were injured in the making of this breakfast!
They look at me like I have two heads. I say, in plain English - you told me you were vegan.
Oh, we gave that up months ago.
Now I confirm everything at check in.
grrrr.
vegetarian is easy. vegan is a big pita! Not cool.
I almost bought gf pancake mix but realized, if you are gf, you can have your choice of eggs (always gf), oatmeal, Cheerios, fruit, yogurt, bacon. I thought that was plenty.
ditto. Vegetarian is a matter of ... don't eat the bacon. Vegan is ... don't eat the bacon, eggs, apple cake, but please enjoy the fruit, home baked bread (my recipe naturally vegan) with almond butter, maybe potatoes fried in olive oil if I'm making for the GF folk, and that's it. In the early years I purchased and discarded vegan meat alternatives, non-dairy milks, etc. It never seemed to make a difference and was a waste of time.
Actually, the last time I comped a stay was for a "travel writer" from Australia being hosted by the local tourism agency. They were arranging her itinerary and delivered her late evening to the Inn. Next morning, she was last to breakfast in a full house and I'd kept the buffet fresh. Vegan. Enjoyed nothing, the Inn was just a place to crash. I told the agency not to request a free room again.

Yep.
News flash people, a two week fad diet of eating no wheat products does not = "Gluten Intolerant".
I couldn't agree more! Guests decided 1 month before their reservation to change their diet to GF & vegan. During their 6-day stay, I rose to the challenge, while they ate all of the Hershey's milk chocolates I provided in their room.
Don't tell me that you "cheat" a little. If you "cheat", then "cheat" at my breakfast table so I don't have to buy expensive ingredients and bend over backwards for your kinda-sorta dietary need. I recently had a guest call 3 days in advance to tell me they're vegan. No problem. During their stay I prepared crepes for them with almond milk, chia seeds, and margarine (only certain margarines lack whey protein, you have to carefully read labels.) When it came time to serve, I mention to the guest that I was making banana nutella crepes for the other 5 guests but I could make theirs plain banana or banana peanut butter because nutella contains skim milk. She told me that she loves nutella and doesn't mind a little dairy. <sigh>
Way back when we first started, when dinosaurs roamed the Earth, we had a family of vegans book for the busiest weekend of the year. We have a vegan cookbook, so we looked up a couple of recipes.
Then Gomez crashed his motorcycle, and ended up in the hospital for that busy weekend.
I soldiered on. Bought everything I needed and made vegan casserole for everyone. (No way I could cook 20 different breakfasts by myself!)
Deliver the plates to the family and make a joke - no animals were injured in the making of this breakfast!
They look at me like I have two heads. I say, in plain English - you told me you were vegan.
Oh, we gave that up months ago.
Now I confirm everything at check in.
grrrr.
vegetarian is easy. vegan is a big pita! Not cool.
I almost bought gf pancake mix but realized, if you are gf, you can have your choice of eggs (always gf), oatmeal, Cheerios, fruit, yogurt, bacon. I thought that was plenty.
ditto. Vegetarian is a matter of ... don't eat the bacon. Vegan is ... don't eat the bacon, eggs, apple cake, but please enjoy the fruit, home baked bread (my recipe naturally vegan) with almond butter, maybe potatoes fried in olive oil if I'm making for the GF folk, and that's it. In the early years I purchased and discarded vegan meat alternatives, non-dairy milks, etc. It never seemed to make a difference and was a waste of time.
Actually, the last time I comped a stay was for a "travel writer" from Australia being hosted by the local tourism agency. They were arranging her itinerary and delivered her late evening to the Inn. Next morning, she was last to breakfast in a full house and I'd kept the buffet fresh. Vegan. Enjoyed nothing, the Inn was just a place to crash. I told the agency not to request a free room again.
Vegan breakfast is oatmeal and fruit. I don't stock vegan milk.
We did have a vegan couple who enjoyed the pancakes after I assured them I didn't add eggs or milk. But they were the ones who asked for a lobster recommendation. So, it's not like they were strict.

Morticia said:
confused_smile.gif

Highlands John said:
Morticia said:
confused_smile.gif
It's an in thing to have a food problem.

Back