Family Suite

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rv4life

Reaction score
I am looking into starting a bed and breakfast in a community of 30,000, 45 minutes from Walt Disney World. While I do not anticipate much traffic from the park, I am considering having a suite for families. There would be a main room for parents and attached, there would be a room with a crib and twin bed, along with some small toys. The community I am looking at is very upscale and has a college close to where I am looking at. I figure that many people looking at colleges have younger siblings tagging along and we may occasionally get theme park traffic.
Any thoughts?
Thanks!

I wouldn't supply toys at all. First of all, you will need to sanitize them and then wash them carefully each time. Second of all, children can get attached. Third of all, you are limiting yourself, the space will be more expensive (when often hotels will bunk children up for free and have a pool. I don't think it's really your market and you could have two rooms or a suite.
Do you know your clientèle at all? Have you researched it? Disney shouldn't even appear in your dictionary, it's not really relevant if you are that far away.

I'm with Jon...I don't think Disney is your market. I don't think a family suite is a bad idea - especially if you have two rooms, but just one bathroom and you can attach them to make them a suite? I personally would put a king bed in one room and two twins in another, with a crib available if needed. That way, if two adult couples were traveling together, they could also use the room. A college nearby is a good thing - parents come to visit their kids and stay - that is good. What other attractions are near there?

I was going to say the same thing. Instead of staging the second room as a nursery, put two twin beds. It is more flexible that way. Two kids, two adults, one of each can fit.
You might have a supply of childrens' books in your library and some easy to store toys tucked away for a rainy day.
I also think the college is a good market. But also all the local theme parks.
Good luck!

rv4life are you meeting a need by doing this? Is this the answer to a problem that you will be solving? in other words, are there not super great deals on "Family" lodging already if you are not that far from the "Happiest Place on Earth" ?
If it were me, and I was looking at college and I knew I could get screaming deals closer to D-world, I would stay over there and drive.
Be careful putting your eggs in one basket, especially for a college. Colleges don't bring in all the revenue you are hoping for. They are typically all at once, you have graduation weekend and can book 1000 rooms, for that one weekend. Most of the year you won't get many bookings unless the college has a special arrangement with you.

I'm with Jon...I don't think Disney is your market. I don't think a family suite is a bad idea - especially if you have two rooms, but just one bathroom and you can attach them to make them a suite? I personally would put a king bed in one room and two twins in another, with a crib available if needed. That way, if two adult couples were traveling together, they could also use the room. A college nearby is a good thing - parents come to visit their kids and stay - that is good. What other attractions are near there?.
BananaE29 said:
I'm with Jon...I don't think Disney is your market. I don't think a family suite is a bad idea - especially if you have two rooms, but just one bathroom and you can attach them to make them a suite? I personally would put a king bed in one room and two twins in another, with a crib available if needed. That way, if two adult couples were traveling together, they could also use the room. A college nearby is a good thing - parents come to visit their kids and stay - that is good. What other attractions are near there?
Agreed.
No one will pay extra, as kids are free, remember. Especially FREE where they are located! Eat free, stay free, play free! (not at D world of course, but everyone else is offering free)
Consider the other rooms, where adults will choose elsewhere knowing there would be kids and cribs in the house. I would stay somewhere else if I went there with my spouse, without kids. If anything, make it a KID FREE ZONE for your marketing. Now THAT is the happiest place on earth! haha

I'm with Jon...I don't think Disney is your market. I don't think a family suite is a bad idea - especially if you have two rooms, but just one bathroom and you can attach them to make them a suite? I personally would put a king bed in one room and two twins in another, with a crib available if needed. That way, if two adult couples were traveling together, they could also use the room. A college nearby is a good thing - parents come to visit their kids and stay - that is good. What other attractions are near there?.
BananaE29 said:
Agreed.
No one will pay extra, as kids are free, remember. Especially FREE where they are located! Eat free, stay free, play free! (not at D world of course, but everyone else is offering free)
Consider the other rooms, where adults will choose elsewhere knowing there would be kids and cribs in the house. I would stay somewhere else if I went there with my spouse, without kids. If anything, make it a KID FREE ZONE for your marketing. Now THAT is the happiest place on earth! haha
Joey Bloggs said:

I could not agree more. I accepted 12 and up the first eight years. Decided I didn't like them either! Sorry, never had children, just don't like them! Went completely kid free last year and haven't looked back. Have I lost a booking or two because of it? Probably. Do I care? Nope. The world revolves around children when they are present, and that's not something I want to be a part of. People come here to get away from their kids.

#1 - if they have kids in college, they most likely will NOT need a crib
#2 - I take 2-legged animals but not 4-legged - guess which I have less request to house (if you guessed kids, you are correct)
#3 - unless that college has a popular sports team do not count on it. I am 45 minutes from the "flagship" University, 10 miles from another university, 20 miles from another and 35 miles from another college - reservations from any are very few since 1996 - yes in all those years. Had some for football games in my early years before they built a couple thousand hotel rooms along the Interstate. Even in the BH (before hotels) days had none for graduations, a few for parents weekend - and these were the big U. None ever for visitation of the schools. I was surprised also.
BTW - I went to the uni 10 miles away several times to try to arrange lodging for speakers etc as it is a "straight shot" from my B & B to them. Nada.
I would not waste my time and space setting up a family suite. IF I thought it would fly, I would make it a luxury 2-room suite. I considered doing that with my 2-rooms that share a bathroom including a pull-out sofa if a second bed was needed. Rejected it after thinking about it more because in my market, I do not think it would rent for the rate I would need AND it would have entailed creating more doors in rooms that already do not have enough solid wall space. the deciding factor was the $$$$ it would NOT generate.

Forget the kids! REALLY. You won't make much money from families who are heading to Orlando..they will stay close to the parks and get all the perks they offer with lots of special deals. Concentrate on adults and make it great for them for a getaway from the kids. If you are in an upscale area..then be sure you are UPSCALE too.

Forget the kids! REALLY. You won't make much money from families who are heading to Orlando..they will stay close to the parks and get all the perks they offer with lots of special deals. Concentrate on adults and make it great for them for a getaway from the kids. If you are in an upscale area..then be sure you are UPSCALE too..
EmptyNest said:
Forget the kids! REALLY. You won't make much money from families who are heading to Orlando..they will stay close to the parks and get all the perks they offer with lots of special deals. Concentrate on adults and make it great for them for a getaway from the kids. If you are in an upscale area..then be sure you are UPSCALE too.
as the saying goes, families try to save money where couples spend money.

Forget the kids! REALLY. You won't make much money from families who are heading to Orlando..they will stay close to the parks and get all the perks they offer with lots of special deals. Concentrate on adults and make it great for them for a getaway from the kids. If you are in an upscale area..then be sure you are UPSCALE too..
EmptyNest said:
AMEN!!! The plan seems more like fulfilling an idealized daydream than running a successful business. That said, sometimes dreams work out.

EmptyNest said:
Joey Bloggs said:
Have never head this saying, but love it! Since I'm currently on vacation I can add that vacationers spend money like it has no meaning. I dread getting home and getting those CC bills!

Back