Fascinated by AIR stuff

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I thought about joining but, no, I don't think it will work for us right now. We are marketing to higher-end guests who want 3-7 nights at our destination. And we are winding down, so we are refusing reservations if they don't fit our time schedule for more personal relaxed time.
I am concerned that our brand will fade from view as we cut back and do not get as many reviews. Perhaps I'll revisit the air idea when we are offering only the cottage on a weekly basis without breakfast...probably in 2017.
We do have 2 neighbors who are using air legally, earning enough to pay their property taxes and maintain their properties. More power to them. They get $150/night, and a lot of 1-2 nighters...I get more than double that $ with longer stays and would not lower my rates or min. stay requirement to compete..
I thought about it for awhile. Here, tho, I'm not getting your kind of guest. Not without a complete reno of the property.
It's worked so far because half the guests have stayed for 3 nights, half for 1 night.
75% were under 30. I look at it now as introducing a whole new group of guests to the b&b stay. Some who might just skip paying the fee and go straight to booking directly. I can hope.
Obviously they're a more adventurous crowd as they were looking to stay in a stranger's house. So this model might work.

I thought about joining but, no, I don't think it will work for us right now. We are marketing to higher-end guests who want 3-7 nights at our destination. And we are winding down, so we are refusing reservations if they don't fit our time schedule for more personal relaxed time.
I am concerned that our brand will fade from view as we cut back and do not get as many reviews. Perhaps I'll revisit the air idea when we are offering only the cottage on a weekly basis without breakfast...probably in 2017.
We do have 2 neighbors who are using air legally, earning enough to pay their property taxes and maintain their properties. More power to them. They get $150/night, and a lot of 1-2 nighters...I get more than double that $ with longer stays and would not lower my rates or min. stay requirement to compete..
I thought about it for awhile. Here, tho, I'm not getting your kind of guest. Not without a complete reno of the property.
It's worked so far because half the guests have stayed for 3 nights, half for 1 night.
75% were under 30. I look at it now as introducing a whole new group of guests to the b&b stay. Some who might just skip paying the fee and go straight to booking directly. I can hope.
Obviously they're a more adventurous crowd as they were looking to stay in a stranger's house. So this model might work.
"75% under 30"
Yep, and as the boomers travel less, we'll need those millennials and younger, so for us Air is good.
We don't lower prices for Air. They're actually higher there seemingly, because the air bite and taxes are included in the listed price. Way cheaper alternatives even in our area, but we are doing well with it.

So far I'm batting zero. I wish Air had a way to show stats. Wondering if anyone is even looked! (or have I missed where it is?)
For those that are getting takers, are you discounting the room like Air keeps telling me to do?
I did discount a little but they want me to deep discount and that ain't happening..
Definitely NOT going with suggested discounts. And filling those rooms nearly every day at normal rate. We're too rural for their algorithms to work here!

So far I'm batting zero. I wish Air had a way to show stats. Wondering if anyone is even looked! (or have I missed where it is?)
For those that are getting takers, are you discounting the room like Air keeps telling me to do?
I did discount a little but they want me to deep discount and that ain't happening..
Definitely NOT going with suggested discounts. And filling those rooms nearly every day at normal rate. We're too rural for their algorithms to work here!
Anon Inn said:
I keep asking for suggested rates and I keep getting a message saying there aren't enough properties listed to give a rate.

Those of you who are using Air...I was wondering how you get paid and how long it takes for you to get your payment.

Those of you who are using Air...I was wondering how you get paid and how long it takes for you to get your payment..
verandasburnet said:
Those of you who are using Air...I was wondering how you get paid and how long it takes for you to get your payment.
There are multiple options:
  • Direct deposit
  • Pay pal deposit
  • Check
We opted for the check. It takes 10 days to arrive. Oddly, I have not received an email stating the last payment was sent. I'll have to look at my account.
The payment comes less the commission. In our case the commission is $4 per night. That's pretty decent. If they are booking millions of rooms imagine the money they are bringing in.

One of you smarties should pen an e-book 'Air for B&B's' giving tips and instructions on how to get bookings - how to build taxes and fees into your price, how to list, how to monitor .... Sell it for a modest price and make a few dollars.

Anon Inn said:
I keep asking for suggested rates and I keep getting a message saying there aren't enough properties listed to give a rate.
I went in today to change my rate to cover tax & commission. The suggested rate? $79 - not in their lifetime am I going backward. I worked too hard to get to where I am. I also added we are a LEGAL, licensed and insured AND listed we have the Tessie and her sister free for registered guests

"75% under 30"
Yep, and as the boomers travel less, we'll need those millennials and younger, so for us Air is good.
We don't lower prices for Air. They're actually higher there seemingly, because the air bite and taxes are included in the listed price. Way cheaper alternatives even in our area, but we are doing well with it.
I think you are right...air is a good option to introduce the millennials to B+B's. If we were building up our business instead of winding it down we would jump on it and figure out a way to make it work for us. I think it has to potential to drive the big booking engines out of business if enough legitimate B+Bs and inns join.

"75% under 30"
I think you are right...air is a good option to introduce the millennials to B+B's. If we were building up our business instead of winding it down we would jump on it and figure out a way to make it work for us. I think it has to potential to drive the big booking engines out of business if enough legitimate B+Bs and inns join.
Silverspoon said:
My take on that is once we hit the tipping point and more businesses are listed we'll start seeing commission levels aimed at extracting more from legitimate businesses.

Those of you who are using Air...I was wondering how you get paid and how long it takes for you to get your payment..
verandasburnet said:
We have a bank account where Air, money deposit, and credit cards directly deposit the money. Then we transfer the money to our "real" bank account. It's our way to protect from fraud. It takes about 24 hours or so. So no more than a couple dollars is left in it for long.

Yeah, doesn't work well around here. I still have to somehow collect my sales taxes. I have it as a pay at the door.
But Air doesn't highlight that breakfast is included or the legal stuff, of course..
Baby Puss said:
Yeah, doesn't work well around here. I still have to somehow collect my sales taxes. I have it as a pay at the door.
But Air doesn't highlight that breakfast is included or the legal stuff, of course.
You have to highlight all that stuff in your description. We've had no trouble collecting the lodging tax.
We do have it. But remember that I'm competing with 3000 illegals in the city. The government can't keep up, though they are getting better... you get too many reviews or more than 2 properties and don't show you are legal, they start looking for you. But still... a lot of illegals.
And of course I'm selling a room... when often people are selling entire apartments.
Baby Puss said:
We do have it. But remember that I'm competing with 3000 illegals in the city. The government can't keep up, though they are getting better... you get too many reviews or more than 2 properties and don't show you are legal, they start looking for you. But still... a lot of illegals.
And of course I'm selling a room... when often people are selling entire apartments.
We are doing well on Air. Have three rooms this weekend with them. We have over 200 inns, Bnbs, hotels, and motels which only four are listed on Air besides us. There are at least 8 pages of Air listings for our city. When our place was started in 1976 there were 12 inns/hotels period. We decided to give it a try and haven't regretted it, yet. Our price covers taxes, etc. Get good pictures and hope for the best. If you ask Air will send you a photographer free of charge to you to do the rooms.

But Air doesn't highlight that breakfast is included or the legal stuff, of course..
Baby Puss said:
But Air doesn't highlight that breakfast is included or the legal stuff, of course.
You have to highlight all that stuff in your description. We've had no trouble collecting the lodging tax.
Baby Puss said:
We are doing well on Air. Have three rooms this weekend with them. We have over 200 inns, Bnbs, hotels, and motels which only four are listed on Air besides us. There are at least 8 pages of Air listings for our city. When our place was started in 1976 there were 12 inns/hotels period. We decided to give it a try and haven't regretted it, yet. Our price covers taxes, etc. Get good pictures and hope for the best. If you ask Air will send you a photographer free of charge to you to do the rooms.
Would they really send a photographer anywhere? I find that hard to imagine

Baby Puss said:
Baby Puss said:
EmptyNest said:
They hire local photographers, just like Google does.

Anon Inn said:
I went in today to change my rate to cover tax & commission. The suggested rate? $79 - not in their lifetime am I going backward. I worked too hard to get to where I am. I also added we are a LEGAL, licensed and insured AND listed we have the Tessie and her sister free for registered guests
make sure you put the chargers on your air listing as well

Anon Inn said:
make sure you put the chargers on your air listing as well
Yep - did that yesterday also. reworked a lot of it.

Baby Puss said:
Baby Puss said:
EmptyNest said:
Morticia said:
EmptyNest said:
Our photographer was from an hour away. He covers three states and does it as a way to pay his photography hobby.

"75% under 30"
Silverspoon said:
My take on that is once we hit the tipping point and more businesses are listed we'll start seeing commission levels aimed at extracting more from legitimate businesses.
That makes sense Mort. Or perhaps they will take a bigger % out of every booking.

"75% under 30"
Silverspoon said:
I think you are right...air is a good option to introduce the millennials to B+B's.
Air does all the marketing - website, branding, etc. - that we B&B owners (even former ones) wished had been done by a B&B industry website - bandb.com, bnbfinder, BWTS, anyone. Maybe because air started so recently they didn't come to the party with any 'old' database or website. If only one of our industry partners had been smart enough to start it...

Back