Feedback on Recent Website Redesign

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I want to say something about broken links and website performance.
I'm not a wordpress expert ... could not build my own wp site but I update it constantly. We pay someone to keep things humming but I visit the site often just to check. Sometimes (and I don't know why) something goes weird with one of the plugins. Or a link stops working or whatever. And then I get in touch with the tech people for help.
I maintain another website that is not wordpress. And sometimes that develops issues as well. One day I was glad to receive an email telling me something on a site was not working as I had no idea.
Everyone who has a website has to regularly check that all is working properly. Time consuming, I know, but so important. It's the face of your business..
I just have to say, I have to depend on clients to do this. Broken links are usually because a sit you linked to goes down or changes. That is not the web masters job to check or fix them unless they are paid. Assuming it was correct when originally done.
I am not paid to monitor hundreds of sites. When there are updates required with plugins and themes, with one I know there are 100 I have to update and I do it freely.
EmptyNest said:
I just have to say, I have to depend on clients to do this. Broken links are usually because a sit you linked to goes down or changes. That is not the web masters job to check or fix them unless they are paid. Assuming it was correct when originally done.
I am not paid to monitor hundreds of sites. When there are updates required with plugins and themes, with one I know there are 100 I have to update and I do it freely.
Agreed.
I can't even keep my restaurant list up to date. Literally they open and close before your eyes. I hear you on this, in the slow season I work the links on our website, forget the blog, there is no way to maintain past links now.
For anyone reading this, worst than broken links is outdated info. There are B&B sites that have Valentines Packages on their homepages from last year! There is a lot more to being an innkeeper than makin' muffins, that is for sure. :)
THANK YOU FOR THE REMINDER
There is a program you can run looking for broken links http://www.deadlinkchecker.com/website-dead-link-checker.asp
If you do this link check above, report back with HOW MANY hyperlinks you have on your website
Just found a 404 on a pet boarding I refer people to
Here is mine:100% scanned - 1277/1277 URLs checked (an yes there were some broken links) click on report and it will tell you what page. The link above was on our reservations/policies page (where we mention no pets here)
JB - is my result terrible or something that should be of concern?
Not JB but me. I just checked your gtmetrix and your site page load time is 1.1 seconds is FINE!!! No worries but it does say your images needs optimizing. I am guessing you didn't do that when you uploaded them????
You can install WP SMUSH IT plug in and it can bulk optimize all images on your site at once.
Thanks EN. Have no clue how to do any of that. It was all the supposed broken links that bothered me. It seemed like they were mostly in my blogs - so I checked a lot of them last night and they worked. I have one post I have to delete because the owner died and they ended up closing the business. When I uploaded my images I had to resize them to e-mail size to get them to upload. Blog size was so SMALL.
Only my blog is WP.

I'm not a wordpress expert ... could not build my own wp site but I update it constantly. We pay someone to keep things humming but I visit the site often just to check. Sometimes (and I don't know why) something goes weird with one of the plugins. Or a link stops working or whatever. And then I get in touch with the tech people for help.
I maintain another website that is not wordpress. And sometimes that develops issues as well. One day I was glad to receive an email telling me something on a site was not working as I had no idea.
Everyone who has a website has to regularly check that all is working properly. Time consuming, I know, but so important. It's the face of your business..
EmptyNest said:
Agreed.
I can't even keep my restaurant list up to date. Literally they open and close before your eyes. I hear you on this, in the slow season I work the links on our website, forget the blog, there is no way to maintain past links now.
For anyone reading this, worst than broken links is outdated info. There are B&B sites that have Valentines Packages on their homepages from last year! There is a lot more to being an innkeeper than makin' muffins, that is for sure. :)
There is a program you can run looking for broken links http://www.deadlinkchecker.com/website-dead-link-checker.asp
If you do this link check above, report back with HOW MANY hyperlinks you have on your website
Here is mine:100% scanned - 1277/1277 URLs checked (an yes there were some broken links) click on report and it will tell you what page. The link above was on our reservations/policies page (where we mention no pets here)
Not JB but me. I just checked your gtmetrix and your site page load time is 1.1 seconds is FINE!!! No worries but it does say your images needs optimizing. I am guessing you didn't do that when you uploaded them????
You can install WP SMUSH IT plug in and it can bulk optimize all images on your site at once.
Thanks EN. Have no clue how to do any of that. It was all the supposed broken links that bothered me. It seemed like they were mostly in my blogs - so I checked a lot of them last night and they worked. I have one post I have to delete because the owner died and they ended up closing the business. When I uploaded my images I had to resize them to e-mail size to get them to upload. Blog size was so SMALL.
Only my blog is WP.
Personally I wouldn't worry about blog posts links if they were done long ago. It is not your fault they went out of business or whatever. If they don't work..they don't work. I wouldn't take time to go back and edit blog posts. Maybe some people would but not me ;-)

EmptyNest said:
Agreed.
Thanks JB! I just found 6 links to local businesses that were out of date! All fixed. Yay!

EmptyNest said:
Agreed.
Only my blog is WP.
Personally I wouldn't worry about blog posts links if they were done long ago. It is not your fault they went out of business or whatever. If they don't work..they don't work. I wouldn't take time to go back and edit blog posts. Maybe some people would but not me ;-)
EmptyNest said:
I agree. Don't go back to outdated posts on blogs, but your website should be up to date, so anything there you can fix the link or remove it altogether. This is one way for us to discover businesses we share that are no longer in business.
I offered a link to the pet B&B for our guests, they took it down so I just deleted it.

EmptyNest said:
Agreed.
Only my blog is WP.
EmptyNest said:
I agree. Don't go back to outdated posts on blogs, but your website should be up to date, so anything there you can fix the link or remove it altogether. This is one way for us to discover businesses we share that are no longer in business.
I offered a link to the pet B&B for our guests, they took it down so I just deleted it.
Thank you, Ladies. I appreciate the help and info.

I had 32 bad links out of some 600; some were bad internal links due to code editing errors, only a few were truly "dead links" All of the bad internal links have been fixed (most were on one page), and I've deleted or updated the dead external links....

"Like-new mattresses"
please change this. Reminds me of people attempting to sell their old mattresses on Craigslist..
What would you recommend using instead of "like new" to let guests know that we just recently replaced all the rooms' mattresses?
Thanks for taking a look at it! Anything else?
Much of the copy reads like barely-edited boilerplate
Photographs are very nice!

Back