First Night In A New Property

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Where will they?
Place drinks. They will move coasters to set them on wood surfaces. Or they will use room books/print outs that bleed all over.
Put Ice. They will place a large bag of ice on the marble tile floor, next to the tub, next to the sink, and let it melt all the way down and drip through the ceiling to a room below. Do you have ice buckets, yes.
Get their hot water for the shower. They will tell us at check out they had absolutely no hot water the entire weekend. We will not accept this, since this room is next to the hot water tank, and no one else said a word. We go turn on the sink, HOT WATER. "Did you try the sink? Was it hot?" Oh yeah THAT was hot, but not the shower. Walk over to shower turn it on, steam immediately pours into the space...
Kettle. They will BOIL the water then place it in a paper cup and scald themselves. You will be to blame.
Luggage. It will always go on the sofa or chair, never on the luggage rack. They will scrape up and CHIP your walls and woodwork bringing it in, and bringing it out. If it has wheels, they will thump thump thump all the way to the room on the stairs.
WIFI. You have wifi inside, outside, but they will insist they need it in the parking lot and treat you like a cad for not having it there for them.
Entertain. Any and every surface, as one innkeeper said "You just never anticipate butt stains on a chair"
...I will leave the rest. That is enough for one day. This is when people say we are soooo negative. When we are only sharing real life experiences, these happened here, right here. Not there, not yet... Bless ya'll.
shades_smile.gif
All you can do is do what you do, people are people..
Trash. They will stand right next to the trash can holding a dripping tea bag and ask, 'Where should I put this?' Oh honey...
I hope you have a little 'helpful hints' sheet that you leave on the counter. We did a weekly rental at the beach and they had all the info we could need - where to put the trash bags, where to find new trash bags, where to put the dirty linen, where to find the vacuum, what to leave (sugar packs, non dairy creamer) and what to take away (everything we brought in).
I know we all shake out heads when people do clueless things but not everyone lives the same way we do and some people just don't know about some stuff. Like me trying to open sealed windows in Savannah. How would I know all the windows were sealed and I was only supposed to use the A/C? To me, if it's hot inside and cool outside, you open a window!
Madeleine said:
Like me trying to open sealed windows in Savannah. How would I know all the windows were sealed and I was only supposed to use the A/C? To me, if it's hot inside and cool outside, you open a window!
ditto what copperhead said.
break the antique glass to open the window and then leave the storm window closed...yeah add that to my list.

Where will they?
Place drinks. They will move coasters to set them on wood surfaces. Or they will use room books/print outs that bleed all over.
Put Ice. They will place a large bag of ice on the marble tile floor, next to the tub, next to the sink, and let it melt all the way down and drip through the ceiling to a room below. Do you have ice buckets, yes.
Get their hot water for the shower. They will tell us at check out they had absolutely no hot water the entire weekend. We will not accept this, since this room is next to the hot water tank, and no one else said a word. We go turn on the sink, HOT WATER. "Did you try the sink? Was it hot?" Oh yeah THAT was hot, but not the shower. Walk over to shower turn it on, steam immediately pours into the space...
Kettle. They will BOIL the water then place it in a paper cup and scald themselves. You will be to blame.
Luggage. It will always go on the sofa or chair, never on the luggage rack. They will scrape up and CHIP your walls and woodwork bringing it in, and bringing it out. If it has wheels, they will thump thump thump all the way to the room on the stairs.
WIFI. You have wifi inside, outside, but they will insist they need it in the parking lot and treat you like a cad for not having it there for them.
Entertain. Any and every surface, as one innkeeper said "You just never anticipate butt stains on a chair"
...I will leave the rest. That is enough for one day. This is when people say we are soooo negative. When we are only sharing real life experiences, these happened here, right here. Not there, not yet... Bless ya'll.
shades_smile.gif
Trash. They will stand right next to the trash can holding a dripping tea bag and ask, 'Where should I put this?' Oh honey...
I hope you have a little 'helpful hints' sheet that you leave on the counter. We did a weekly rental at the beach and they had all the info we could need - where to put the trash bags, where to find new trash bags, where to put the dirty linen, where to find the vacuum, what to leave (sugar packs, non dairy creamer) and what to take away (everything we brought in).
I know we all shake out heads when people do clueless things but not everyone lives the same way we do and some people just don't know about some stuff. Like me trying to open sealed windows in Savannah. How would I know all the windows were sealed and I was only supposed to use the A/C? To me, if it's hot inside and cool outside, you open a window!
Madeleine said:
Or in the state park cabins a big sign "DO NOT MAKE ROAST MARSHALLOWS IN THE FIREPLACE!"
" in the state park cabins a big sign "DO NOT MAKE ROAST MARSHALLOWS IN THE FIREPLACE!"
Well why NOT? Isn't that what a fireplace is for?
devil_smile.gif

Thanks for the to-do lists! I have most of that covered from years of notes, if I can just find them!
I remember well the day they left the bag of ice to melt in JB's bathroom and drip into the hallway below. She did not seem to appreciate that they thoughtfully left the ice in the bag.
I'm doing one more test night in the same apartment tonight. In a week or so I'll have another apartment ready for testing!

Where will they?
shades_smile.gif
Madeleine said:
Like me trying to open sealed windows in Savannah. How would I know all the windows were sealed and I was only supposed to use the A/C? To me, if it's hot inside and cool outside, you open a window!
break the antique glass to open the window and then leave the storm window closed...yeah add that to my list.
Joey Bloggs said:
Madeleine said:
We had that last week. Same crowd that disassembled the A/C winterizing. Open the inside window, forget the storm. Altho, that was only one room. Most of our windows are new and don't have storms.

Thanks for the to-do lists! I have most of that covered from years of notes, if I can just find them!
I remember well the day they left the bag of ice to melt in JB's bathroom and drip into the hallway below. She did not seem to appreciate that they thoughtfully left the ice in the bag.
I'm doing one more test night in the same apartment tonight. In a week or so I'll have another apartment ready for testing!.
Arkansawyer said:
I'm doing one more test night in the same apartment tonight. In a week or so I'll have another apartment ready for testing!
The term is "evidence"
cry_smile.gif

Have a good night in the new digs.

Arkie, I too am happy for you as you get this project ready to launch. Hope you have as much fun as the proprietor as you have putting it together!

Where will they?
shades_smile.gif
Madeleine said:
One of my top ones happend rececently - 2 women managed to move a 2 ton (you get me 2TON) half tester bed (its fricking huge took 3 men to assemble it) over by 5 inches to get at the plug sockets - there are 8 other plug sockets in clear locations- was a right job moving it back I can tell you!
PLus we will have people who pull out the large king size bed to get at the plugs for the bedside lamps - when there are 3 on the desk!

Where will they?
shades_smile.gif
Madeleine said:
One of my top ones happend rececently - 2 women managed to move a 2 ton (you get me 2TON) half tester bed (its fricking huge took 3 men to assemble it) over by 5 inches to get at the plug sockets - there are 8 other plug sockets in clear locations- was a right job moving it back I can tell you!
PLus we will have people who pull out the large king size bed to get at the plugs for the bedside lamps - when there are 3 on the desk!
I can kind of get why people might move beds to get to outlets -- they want to have their electronic device (cell phone, whatever) on the bedside stand next to their head. It's a comfort thing -- it's their alarm clock, it's a flashlight, it's there for emergencies, etc... and they don't want to have to stumble across the room to get it. They want to sit in the bed with their laptop, surfing the internet. They have a CPAP machine that they need to plug in. And so on.
I would say that accessible outlets within a few feet of the bed are at least as important, if not more important, as accessible outlets anywhere else in the room. (But note, if you're going to provide a desk, there need to be accessible outlets there too for sure -- I stayed an old "grand hotel" that was lacking in this regard....)

Where will they?
shades_smile.gif
Madeleine said:
I can kind of get why people might move beds to get to outlets -- they want to have their electronic device (cell phone, whatever) on the bedside stand next to their head. It's a comfort thing -- it's their alarm clock, it's a flashlight, it's there for emergencies, etc... and they don't want to have to stumble across the room to get it. They want to sit in the bed with their laptop, surfing the internet. They have a CPAP machine that they need to plug in. And so on.
I would say that accessible outlets within a few feet of the bed are at least as important, if not more important, as accessible outlets anywhere else in the room. (But note, if you're going to provide a desk, there need to be accessible outlets there too for sure -- I stayed an old "grand hotel" that was lacking in this regard....)
In my situation, the outlets are on both sides of the bed, so easily visible. The one behind the bed is for the 'support' stuff like alarm clocks and lamps. So, they had no lights because they unplugged everything behind the bed instead of using the 'guest' outlets.
It is a project getting outlets where guests need them. It's something we're looking at before we get really busy again. VERY obvious outlets near the dressers and the beds.

it is really the BEST way to know how it is to stay in your rooms. being a guest in your own place with only what you've brought with you.
it sounds great! i'm so happy for you.
hardest thing for me was to test how the wifi strength would be if there were loads of other computers running in all the rooms, hot water and water pressure with loads of other folks taking showers at the same time, and sound proofing. i had a chambermaid going to rooms next door and above closing doors and flushing toilets, running water. discovered that in one bathroom below another you could hear most everything from the bathroom above.
ps i could totally test the tub experience for you.
wink_smile.gif

Things to notice...
I remember the lady who said there is not enough light to apply make up in the restroom, then another guest wanted a lesser bulb so they weren't blinded when they went in at night. So always 6 of one half dozen of another.
You can please all the people all the time. :) But when they call or comment now you can understand where they are coming from., some times out of left field.

Where will they?
shades_smile.gif
Madeleine said:
I have surge strips everywhere - both sides of the beds in all rooms, plus next to a dresser in other rooms, multi-plug with USB ports next to one dresser in one room, near a window in another, and at the head of the bed by a nightstand in the third - and I still find lamps unplugged.

Things to notice...
I remember the lady who said there is not enough light to apply make up in the restroom, then another guest wanted a lesser bulb so they weren't blinded when they went in at night. So always 6 of one half dozen of another.
You can please all the people all the time. :) But when they call or comment now you can understand where they are coming from., some times out of left field..
We have the older 'twirly bulbs' in the light fixtures. I've had guests ring the bell at 10 PM to tell me they must have tripped a breaker because they have no lights and could I go fix that. Me? In the basement in the dark? Not happening. Nothing is easily located in the basement. It requires crawling underneath pipes to get to the panels.
So, what do I do? I ask if I can try to turn the lights on. Yeah, those twirly bulbs take a few seconds to light up. But they do work if you give them a second.

Things to notice...
You can please all the people all the time. :) But when they call or comment now you can understand where they are coming from., some times out of left field..
We have the older 'twirly bulbs' in the light fixtures. I've had guests ring the bell at 10 PM to tell me they must have tripped a breaker because they have no lights and could I go fix that. Me? In the basement in the dark? Not happening. Nothing is easily located in the basement. It requires crawling underneath pipes to get to the panels.
So, what do I do? I ask if I can try to turn the lights on. Yeah, those twirly bulbs take a few seconds to light up. But they do work if you give them a second.
Madeleine said:
I just mentioned this today, as we had all of them blow at once in the upstairs hallway, which required ladders, and testing, these old houses were not built to be green. LOL!

Things to notice...
Madeleine said:
I just mentioned this today, as we had all of them blow at once in the upstairs hallway, which required ladders, and testing, these old houses were not built to be green. LOL!
Joey Bloggs said:
Madeleine said:
We had one humming last night. Strangest thing. Turned on the light. Hmmmmmmmmmmm. Turned off the light. No hmmmmmmmmmm. Switched the bulb with a different light fixture. No problem. Weird. Harmonic convergence.

Another problem are those GFCI receptacles we're required to have now in wet locations like kitchens and bathrooms. Lots of times they're wired up so if one on the circuit is tripped, the whole circuit goes off. All you have to do is push the little reset button on the receptacle, but most people just assume the receptacle is faulty and go calling for help.

Congrats, Arks! Nothing like having something happen that could happen to a guest to get you thinking...
Surge protectors on your TVs. We had several TVs go when the tree behind our house was hit by lightning,along with our landline phone.
Best of luck!

Surge protectors are great and if you have a land line, they make a phone line surge protector - that is what I have for my dsl line and a lot of my peripherals.

Tonight I'm spending the first night in "the other" apartment at my new guesthouse. Just got it ready a couple of days ago, but was waiting on the Comphy sheets to arrive before giving it a a test. Out of all my planning and preparing, I somehow forgot to order sheets! The other apartment has hosted several people already, but they had to sleep on "Walmart's best".
I bought the Comphy pillowcases months ago because they were on sale, but forgot to ever get sheets.
The sheets finally came in today so I'm giving this apartment its first trial tonight. So far everything is perfect. I could happily live here!

Tonight I'm spending the first night in "the other" apartment at my new guesthouse. Just got it ready a couple of days ago, but was waiting on the Comphy sheets to arrive before giving it a a test. Out of all my planning and preparing, I somehow forgot to order sheets! The other apartment has hosted several people already, but they had to sleep on "Walmart's best".
I bought the Comphy pillowcases months ago because they were on sale, but forgot to ever get sheets.
The sheets finally came in today so I'm giving this apartment its first trial tonight. So far everything is perfect. I could happily live here!.
We learnt a very important lesson about WB sheets, they don't last. They aren't sewn well. JCP, T and LE do better. We have some JCP that are finally starting to need replacement after 4 years.

Back