Flowers for rooms

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
mmmmm ... can't wait to smell some fragrant flowers! Our ground is still a bit cold and blooming is late I was told by a local gardener..
Wednesday we will be picking produce from the Community Garden for distribution Thursday at the Pantry.

I love flowers in the rooms, in little niches, wherever. Posies in a mug near the guestbook, wildflowers or just pretty greens. I love to see them (no allergies here!) Do guests ever ask you to remove them? (MORE for me!) :).
The only flowers I've been asked to remove is lilacs. Pretty strong fragrance and some people are allergic to them.
Breakfast Diva said:
The only flowers I've been asked to remove is lilacs. Pretty strong fragrance and some people are allergic to them.
Funny I bring lilacs in and love them and my eyes drip and I can't breathe, but I do it anyway, for a day. once a year. in the ktichen, not in guest areas. There is nothing like a mountain lilac, nothing!!! (wait let me add some Duff-work here) !!!!!!!!!!!
thumbs_up.gif

You reminded me (mountain lilac), my brother (who doesn't like blueberries from the store) said last weekend "when in Alaska, I LIKED the wild blueberries!" He perceives a superior taste in wild, vs. the cultivated, where they seem to breed out that fantastic flavor...
undersea said:
You reminded me (mountain lilac), my brother (who doesn't like blueberries from the store) said last weekend "when in Alaska, I LIKED the wild blueberries!" He perceives a superior taste in wild, vs. the cultivated, where they seem to breed out that fantastic flavor...
Did he pick them himself?
I ate blueberries on cottage cheese for breakfast today. Funny if there is one fruit that I notice men are not that fond of, it would be blueberries. (I notice too much for my own good, I know, don't remind me) I prefer farmed BB's as they are larger and sweeter for other uses. and picking them yourself is hard work when the wild BB's are so small.
shades_smile.gif

Joey Bloggs said:
undersea said:
I ate blueberries on cottage cheese for breakfast today. Funny if there is one fruit that I notice men are not that fond of, it would be blueberries. (I notice too much for my own good, I know, don't remind me) I prefer farmed BB's as they are larger and sweeter for other uses. and picking them yourself is hard work when the wild BB's are so small.
shades_smile.gif
Bluberries grow behind our house down the hill almost all the way to the water. Yes, lots of work, but I find it very relaxing. The whales are out in full force and they play hide and go seek. I hear them blow and I have to look quick before they dive. It's a great break from cleaning
And I would say it's mostly men that comment on the wild blueberries. I even had one who would take his teaspoon after breakfast and finish the little dish of jam that inset on the tables. Ate it like it was dessert!

I love flowers in the rooms, in little niches, wherever. Posies in a mug near the guestbook, wildflowers or just pretty greens. I love to see them (no allergies here!) Do guests ever ask you to remove them? (MORE for me!) :).
Breakfast Diva said:
Funny I bring lilacs in and love them and my eyes drip and I can't breathe, but I do it anyway, for a day. once a year. in the ktichen, not in guest areas. There is nothing like a mountain lilac, nothing!!! (wait let me add some Duff-work here) !!!!!!!!!!!
thumbs_up.gif

undersea said:
shades_smile.gif

Joey Bloggs said:
undersea said:
shades_smile.gif
Bluberries grow behind our house down the hill almost all the way to the water. Yes, lots of work, but I find it very relaxing. The whales are out in full force and they play hide and go seek. I hear them blow and I have to look quick before they dive. It's a great break from cleaning
And I would say it's mostly men that comment on the wild blueberries. I even had one who would take his teaspoon after breakfast and finish the little dish of jam that inset on the tables. Ate it like it was dessert!
2cat_lady said:
Joey Bloggs said:
undersea said:
shades_smile.gif
I want to pick them with you wearing a big straw hat, place them in a basket and get purple fingers and laugh.
Then I will let you make a blueberry pie and I will eat it. :)

Breakfast Diva said:
thumbs_up.gif

undersea said:
shades_smile.gif

Joey Bloggs said:
undersea said:
shades_smile.gif
2cat_lady said:
Joey Bloggs said:
undersea said:
shades_smile.gif
I want to pick them with you wearing a big straw hat, place them in a basket and get purple fingers and laugh.
Oh, so you've seen my fingers when I come in? Lol! Beauty marks. You'd love it here JB. Everyone's expectations are low but they're blown out of the water by our location. Even when they've been climbing up and down the hill, there' s no complaints of the climb. I think they just climb down so that they can feel like they're the only ones in the world--that's how it can feel.
Ive been using the blueberries in individual blueberry crisps, warm, all winter with a dollop of vanilla yogurt on top, fruit on the side. Honestly, some of the men have acted like little old ladies ooink and ahhing over breakfast.

Breakfast Diva said:
thumbs_up.gif

undersea said:
shades_smile.gif

Joey Bloggs said:
undersea said:
shades_smile.gif
2cat_lady said:
Joey Bloggs said:
undersea said:
shades_smile.gif
Oh, so you've seen my fingers when I come in? Lol! Beauty marks. You'd love it here JB. Everyone's expectations are low but they're blown out of the water by our location. Even when they've been climbing up and down the hill, there' s no complaints of the climb. I think they just climb down so that they can feel like they're the only ones in the world--that's how it can feel.
Ive been using the blueberries in individual blueberry crisps, warm, all winter with a dollop of vanilla yogurt on top, fruit on the side. Honestly, some of the men have acted like little old ladies ooink and ahhing over breakfast.
2cat_lady said:
I know I would. You are doing such a marv job of sharing what you have there online too.
Last August I was able to go to one of my favorite parts of this state, and it was blueberry season and I ate them as I went, but never picked any baskets or bushells. But here is a photo I took of a family picking them...I thought it was neat as the mountains also looked the same color as the wild blueberries.
Edited to add: I blogged it today, thank you for encouraging me to do so - if you know my blog or FB page you will see the other photos I took this same day. Have a happy day everyone!
_DSC0031c.jpg

I always put a small vase of flowers in each room, on each table at breakfast and have a larger display in the hall. I even plant some flowers, such as sweet peas, sunflowers, gladioli and dahlias on my allotment specifically for cutting, for the house.
It's surprising how many people comment on them.
I can't stand plastic flowers. I cringe when I see them in restaurants and hotels/B&Bs, better off without.

Very pretty! The gardenias are bursting out here and every day there is a new crop and I cut some fresh and put them in a vase in the front of the house. We also have Confederate Jasmine bushes on both ends of our lower front porch and the scent is lovely. Hydrangeas are just popping out here...
Our azaleas are long gone but they were beautiful this year.

Back