Food for thought for innkeepers - too complex?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You know if there are two of you then there may be two opinions. Here is something "simply" I say. We have a whole house front door code. DH makes it difficult if he changes it, I want it simple. Difficult = leaving the front door open, forgetting it and ringing the bell at all hours of the nights, and often. Simple = they remember it and are happy with it.
It really does nothing for security, this evening alone guests opened the door to other guests three times, at check in and then they walked in and stared at the guests (as they assumed they were the hosts).
I did win this battle though, the code changes again to a simple 5050 or easy peasy code on Sunday, no more 2437 type codes..
Drives me mad! we have a MASSIVE sign saying please let hotel staff deal with incoming guests which has slowed it down somewhat - trouble is we have a plane glass front door and plane glass back door and you can see people at both from the lounge so as soon as they see them they can't stop themselves!
On our big glass doors (Second set of doors) we have a "dollies" that covers the glass. It distracts that there are people there, but people can see in. First set of doors you can't open unless you are repeat guests! 1800s doors are mystery to people in 2000s. We have found already checked in guest standing politely behind new guests waiting for us to open the door. They didn't want to push pass them and then shut the door in their face.
Must have been at your place prior!

You know if there are two of you then there may be two opinions. Here is something "simply" I say. We have a whole house front door code. DH makes it difficult if he changes it, I want it simple. Difficult = leaving the front door open, forgetting it and ringing the bell at all hours of the nights, and often. Simple = they remember it and are happy with it.
It really does nothing for security, this evening alone guests opened the door to other guests three times, at check in and then they walked in and stared at the guests (as they assumed they were the hosts).
I did win this battle though, the code changes again to a simple 5050 or easy peasy code on Sunday, no more 2437 type codes..
teeth_smile.gif
JBloggs said:
I did win this battle though, the code changes again to a simple 5050 or easy peasy code on Sunday, no more 2437 type codes.
At anytime during the argument did you really think your husband had a chance at winning the argument? Of course not! :) I have been married almost 17 years and I have taken all kinds of different angles to try and win. There is no path to winning an argument. :)
Hillbilly said:
teeth_smile.gif
JBloggs said:
I did win this battle though, the code changes again to a simple 5050 or easy peasy code on Sunday, no more 2437 type codes.
At anytime during the argument did you really think your husband had a chance at winning the argument? Of course not! :) I have been married almost 17 years and I have taken all kinds of different angles to try and win. There is no path to winning an argument. :)
13th year of B&B operations and he does win, he has won.
I need to talk with him and learn his techniques. Haha
Don't complex their marriage! If he thinks he can't win, it will keep things simple and sweet!
shades_smile.gif

Drives me mad! we have a MASSIVE sign saying please let hotel staff deal with incoming guests which has slowed it down somewhat - trouble is we have a plane glass front door and plane glass back door and you can see people at both from the lounge so as soon as they see them they can't stop themselves!
On our big glass doors (Second set of doors) we have a "dollies" that covers the glass. It distracts that there are people there, but people can see in. First set of doors you can't open unless you are repeat guests! 1800s doors are mystery to people in 2000s. We have found already checked in guest standing politely behind new guests waiting for us to open the door. They didn't want to push pass them and then shut the door in their face.
We stayed at a place in Savannah where the innkeeper scared me so badly about homeless people getting in and taking over if we didn't lock the door immediately that I was completely afraid to walk back to the inn in the dark. I was on high alert the whole time we were there.
I try not to do that here.

We stayed at a place in Savannah where the innkeeper scared me so badly about homeless people getting in and taking over if we didn't lock the door immediately that I was completely afraid to walk back to the inn in the dark. I was on high alert the whole time we were there.
I try not to do that here.
my trouble is i am right in the town center its my worse nightmare to get up and find a drunk/homeless person asleep in my lounge - how difficult it it to shut a door! came back twice today to find doors open

teeth_smile.gif
JBloggs said:
Hillbilly said:
teeth_smile.gif
JBloggs said:
13th year of B&B operations and he does win, he has won.
But you let him win! Hahahah

I always ask guests what time they would like breakfast the night prior. I do this because I'm the only one cooking, serving, and cleaning. With multiple rooms booked I have to space them out so they don't all arrive at once. It's very bothersome for me trying to get it squared out the night before. If they're out late I ask them to text me the time before they go to bed in case I don't see them. Many times they forget. Or they just don't want to pick a time for breakfast before they've even had their dinner! I get it, but I don't know what else to do. I've thought of putting up a sign-up sheet but that seems just as bothersome. Suggestions?

I always ask guests what time they would like breakfast the night prior. I do this because I'm the only one cooking, serving, and cleaning. With multiple rooms booked I have to space them out so they don't all arrive at once. It's very bothersome for me trying to get it squared out the night before. If they're out late I ask them to text me the time before they go to bed in case I don't see them. Many times they forget. Or they just don't want to pick a time for breakfast before they've even had their dinner! I get it, but I don't know what else to do. I've thought of putting up a sign-up sheet but that seems just as bothersome. Suggestions?.
Why don't you just set a time and say be there. Prepare your breakfast and serve. They eat or not
i would never offer everyone a time they want. Why be making breakfast over and over for each?

I always ask guests what time they would like breakfast the night prior. I do this because I'm the only one cooking, serving, and cleaning. With multiple rooms booked I have to space them out so they don't all arrive at once. It's very bothersome for me trying to get it squared out the night before. If they're out late I ask them to text me the time before they go to bed in case I don't see them. Many times they forget. Or they just don't want to pick a time for breakfast before they've even had their dinner! I get it, but I don't know what else to do. I've thought of putting up a sign-up sheet but that seems just as bothersome. Suggestions?.
I ask mine to let me know before they turn in for the night, what time do they want breakfast. So far (20 years) it has worked well. The guest who arrived and would be in bed before I would get home did as asked and left a note on the stairs re time.

We offer two times. We have a hook for each room, we put a tag for the breakfast time. We tell them they can change until a certain hour, but not after, since we may need to prepare something ahead of time. Works well about 95% of the time, with the exception of those who just can't be polite.

Our rate structure is way too complex.... 5 different rate groups, 3 different seasonal bands, nightly vs. weekly rates, discount for payment by cash or check rather than by card, some cottages switch rate group depending on the season, returning guests get the previous year's rate (if they make their reservation far enough in advance), etc., etc...

Why don't you just set a time and say be there. Prepare your breakfast and serve. They eat or not
i would never offer everyone a time they want. Why be making breakfast over and over for each?
EmptyNest said:
There's a place in my town that has the very best breakfasts. Table service, three courses, excellent food. They get bad reviews because they dictate the time of breakfast. People on vacation don't want to be told what time to set their alarms.
Some of our best reviews mention our flexibility. Of course some of our worst reviews mention our "motel" buffet breakfast as a drawback.
Just something to keep in mind. As the inn mentioned above and us, each of us makes our own policies. But know that people care.

Country Girl said:
I always ask guests what time they would like breakfast the night prior. I do this because I'm the only one cooking, serving, and cleaning. With multiple rooms booked I have to space them out so they don't all arrive at once. It's very bothersome for me trying to get it squared out the night before. If they're out late I ask them to text me the time before they go to bed in case I don't see them. Many times they forget. Or they just don't want to pick a time for breakfast before they've even had their dinner! I get it, but I don't know what else to do. I've thought of putting up a sign-up sheet but that seems just as bothersome. Suggestions?
I stayed at a place many moons ago that had a sign up sheet in 15 minute increments. The reason was they prepared a fresh fruit smoothie of your choice, so they did it this way. As a guest, I didn't like it. I had no idea what time I wanted breakfast -- tomorrow. It crimped my style. I would much rather wander in or have one set time 9am. It is easier to plan my day around this, knowing that time frame.
But, I see how many rooms you have, and you can't seat all at once, what about TWO distinct seatings. We do this for event weekends - - and it works like a charm! The first seating know they need to finish up for the next one, and they mostly always do. Oh and I ask them to fill it out before they go to bed and leave it in the dining room or foyer. They talk about it and come back and write their names down.
SELECT YOUR PREFERRED BREAKFAST TIME
Write your name on your choice below:
8:30am____________________
9:30am____________________

EmptyNest said:
I agree with this as you can prepare for the rush, so to speak, all at once, and not spend all day doing breakfast. Everything will go smoother if you do it this way. Especially if there is only one person, I would make it mandatory if it was only me, and in fact, I used to! Guests don't mind.
Now we do come down any time between 8 and 9am. We went with this method, and I don't prefer it from the prep, cook, serve, clean standpoint, but I have adjusted my routine to fit this. But I will say right here, the bacon is cooked before 8am, and your piece will be nuked when it is presented to heat it up a bit. If I have 4 guests, I cook the bottom four blueberry pancakes and plate while I then cook the top four, then serve. We all have our ways...hot and fresh is so important to me personally.

EmptyNest said:
There's a place in my town that has the very best breakfasts. Table service, three courses, excellent food. They get bad reviews because they dictate the time of breakfast. People on vacation don't want to be told what time to set their alarms.
Some of our best reviews mention our flexibility. Of course some of our worst reviews mention our "motel" buffet breakfast as a drawback.
Just something to keep in mind. As the inn mentioned above and us, each of us makes our own policies. But know that people care.
Don't you serve yours as a buffet? In my 7 years of innkeepeing, I had no one complain to me anyway about our breakfast time. It was 9 am and if they can't make that....too bad
devil_smile.gif

EmptyNest said:
Don't you serve yours as a buffet? In my 7 years of innkeepeing, I had no one complain to me anyway about our breakfast time. It was 9 am and if they can't make that....too bad
devil_smile.gif

Yes, we serve buffet. As I mentioned, we get praise for flexibility.
Also, if you want to set times, do it, but it's important to know that some guests dislike the precision. I like to live alarm clock free when I'm on vacation.

EmptyNest said:
devil_smile.gif

Also, if you want to set times, do it, but it's important to know that some guests dislike the precision. I like to live alarm clock free when I'm on vacation.
TheBeachHouse said:
One reason we stay at hotels. This past vacation we were up and out at 6:30. Or slept in until 9.
The only time we ask is when it's one room in the house. We want to know if we'll be twiddling our thumbs for 2 hours waiting!
And, we got a sixth table so now we can seat 16 at once. For those people who have to write a bad review when they can't sit down immediately.

EmptyNest said:
devil_smile.gif

TheBeachHouse said:
One reason we stay at hotels. This past vacation we were up and out at 6:30. Or slept in until 9.
The only time we ask is when it's one room in the house. We want to know if we'll be twiddling our thumbs for 2 hours waiting!
And, we got a sixth table so now we can seat 16 at once. For those people who have to write a bad review when they can't sit down immediately.
We do ask when we only have one room. Doesn't make sense to drag my sorry butt out of bed early if my guests are sleeping in!

Back