Four star review! I'm spoiled.

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Some people feel it is obligatory to put something negative in reviews..
Highlands John said:
Some people feel it is obligatory to put something negative in reviews.
Considering my response. I was thinking of saying we have many guests who, because it is something they really care about, bring their own pillows.
What I really want to say is, seriously????? You didn't ask?????? Did you even notice the two extra pillows in your closet?????? Did you really expect a choice of three pillow typse like you get in a Hilton?????
I would NOT encourage the "bring your own pillow" as you have no idea what "extras" that pillow might bring with it.

I am hoping you don't throw a pillow at me, but this is your moment to market your place. Get in their and pitch what you've got. Thank them for the nice things they say and then toot your horn!.
happykeeper said:
I am hoping you don't throw a pillow at me, but this is your moment to market your place. Get in their and pitch what you've got. Thank them for the nice things they say and then toot your horn!
I will absolutely respond. Highlight the views etc., but should I not even mention the pillows? I like the idea of mentioning hypoaltergenic pillows.
Hmm.. I haven't seen the full review so this is kind of speculation and I am putting it into a hypothetical of something we might receive. I might be missing the point.
First, is there a valid point buried in their comment? I know that if I got something that said they could not find down pillows even though we say we have them, I would want to know what we could do to not have it happen to anyone else. Why couldn't they find them? How do we make sure the next guest can. How do I thank them for bringing it to our attention and then quickly explain how we addressed it.
THEN I would figure out what we want to market to the readers that can tie in comfortably with the review. In your case, I would be trying to decide whether our pillows are special enough to market. Hypoallergenic comes in many forms. Are yours a brand you want to promote you have? Are they special in some other way? Are there a variety of pillows that you want to promote to demonstrate that you can meet most any pillow need? OH the things we can do with pillows!
happykeeper said:
Hmm.. I haven't seen the full review so this is kind of speculation and I am putting it into a hypothetical of something we might receive. I might be missing the point.
First, is there a valid point buried in their comment? I know that if I got something that said they could not find down pillows even though we say we have them, I would want to know what we could do to not have it happen to anyone else. Why couldn't they find them? How do we make sure the next guest can. How do I thank them for bringing it to our attention and then quickly explain how we addressed it.
THEN I would figure out what we want to market to the readers that can tie in comfortably with the review. In your case, I would be trying to decide whether our pillows are special enough to market. Hypoallergenic comes in many forms. Are yours a brand you want to promote you have? Are they special in some other way? Are there a variety of pillows that you want to promote to demonstrate that you can meet most any pillow need? OH the things we can do with pillows!
I hear you and you have a good point, but they specifically say they never asked if we had other pillows. So they don't know and complain anyway.
But to the question, we don't specifically stock down pillows. And most of the pillows we have are new. We threw out the non puffy ones.
I think it is a question of some picky sleepers. I don't like down pillows at all, but if that is what they like, then I can see them missing them. And seriously, if you are that picky about your pillow, bring it with you. (I have a friend who always brings his pillow with him. He accepts his eccentricity and blames no one. He needs a certain pillow, so he solves the problem. Gotta give him credit.)
Hmmm.. so what is the point buried in their comment?
Could they be saying that they had wished that they could have had that information without asking?
Just speculation on what the real point was.
happykeeper said:
Could they be saying that they had wished that they could have had that information without asking?
I guess I'm lost. <scratching head and hoping I don't sound too dumb>
Should a comment make me want to offer a pillow menu, like a huge hotel? We honestly do not have the storage capacity to store 'on demand' pillows.
Do y'all offer pillow choices? If you do, how do you do it?
TheBeachHouse said:
We have between 4 and 7 pillows on each bed. All different. That's the extent of the pillow menu!
Pillows are like coffee - you cannot please everyone. We have guests who bring their own pillows. We have guests who bring their own coffee.
I think what happy is trying to get at is what made them make that comment? Was there something, somewhere that implied a choice they felt they weren't offered?
I just can't get into someone's psyche like that.

I am hoping you don't throw a pillow at me, but this is your moment to market your place. Get in their and pitch what you've got. Thank them for the nice things they say and then toot your horn!.
happykeeper said:
I am hoping you don't throw a pillow at me, but this is your moment to market your place. Get in their and pitch what you've got. Thank them for the nice things they say and then toot your horn!
I will absolutely respond. Highlight the views etc., but should I not even mention the pillows? I like the idea of mentioning hypoaltergenic pillows.
happykeeper said:
I hear you and you have a good point, but they specifically say they never asked if we had other pillows. So they don't know and complain anyway.
But to the question, we don't specifically stock down pillows. And most of the pillows we have are new. We threw out the non puffy ones.
I think it is a question of some picky sleepers. I don't like down pillows at all, but if that is what they like, then I can see them missing them. And seriously, if you are that picky about your pillow, bring it with you. (I have a friend who always brings his pillow with him. He accepts his eccentricity and blames no one. He needs a certain pillow, so he solves the problem. Gotta give him credit.)
happykeeper said:
Should a comment make me want to offer a pillow menu, like a huge hotel? We honestly do not have the storage capacity to store 'on demand' pillows.
I have been scratching my head from day one.
Really the point is to find the issue, thank them for bringing it to your attention, and briefly state how you addressed it for future guests. THEN move on to marketing what you want.
We offer pillow choices in each room. We make sure each room has one of every kind. There is no menu. Folks just pick the pillow they want from what we have there. We have no pillow menu. We thought about it, but decided it was all fluff!
teeth_smile.gif

I've got a better one. My only 4 star is from a man who stayed for free!! Now, granted he's a world traveler and very sophisticated. I decided I'd take a 4 because I think he was comparing me to the Ritz. Not anything I could do about it and I don't think it scared anybody away
wink_smile.gif

I've got a better one. My only 4 star is from a man who stayed for free!! Now, granted he's a world traveler and very sophisticated. I decided I'd take a 4 because I think he was comparing me to the Ritz. Not anything I could do about it and I don't think it scared anybody away
wink_smile.gif
Yup we too just received a rare 4* from frequent world travelers who own a second home in Turkey and travel extensively. This was their first visit to our area of the USA so they really have nothing to compare us with other than the 5* hotels they usually stay in while traveling Europe and the world. They said nothing negative in the review, only glowing positive comments, but they gave us 4 circles on value (they booked our most expensive, ocean-view cottage), rooms (800 sq ft of private indoor space) and sleep quality (whatever that means...I know the birds woke them up at least one morning).
Ahhhh, well I wrote a lovely response thanking them and lied a bit saying that from frequent world travelers, we considered their review "high praise". Hopefully anyone reading the review will put it in context.

happykeeper said:
happykeeper said:
happykeeper said:
This review was a reflection on her NOT you. Don't second guess yourself because this nimrod thought it best to keep her trap shut while staying there and then make a snarky comment online. It's crappy, yes. But, don't waste any time trying to figure out how to change what you do so it won't happen again. You have plenty of guests that are 100% satisfied with their stay there.
I had a guest write in a review that she wished that we had served grits. Pissed me off! We make grits all the time, just not on that one day out of 365 that she stayed with us. We ask people what they want for breakfast so it's one less thing we have to think about. She should have said something if her whole stay revolved around her getting grits in the morning. Her review was a downer cause she didn't get them. S

happykeeper said:
happykeeper said:
happykeeper said:
TheBeachHouse said:
We have between 4 and 7 pillows on each bed. All different. That's the extent of the pillow menu!
Pillows are like coffee - you cannot please everyone. We have guests who bring their own pillows. We have guests who bring their own coffee.
I think what happy is trying to get at is what made them make that comment? Was there something, somewhere that implied a choice they felt they weren't offered?
AH HA! We have our tshirt!
[h3]
"Pillows are like coffee - you cannot please everyone. We have guests who bring their own pillows. We have guests who bring their own coffee."[/h3]

happykeeper said:
happykeeper said:
happykeeper said:
The Princess and the Pea

Could it be that this reviewer is one that does not give out 5's very often? Check out their other reviews.
But Beachie, just use the Mgr response to boost all the great things you have for your guests. I would not even bother about the pillow comment, that is unless you are going to start having a menu.
I keep 2 down and 2 alternatives on each bed. The alternatives are more firm. Rarely happens that someone asks for different pillows. More often, I find the down off the bed - either on the floor or in the closet.

wink_smile.gif
We've had 4 star reviews from people who stayed for free. And they complained it wasn't worth it.

wink_smile.gif
Yup we too just received a rare 4* from frequent world travelers who own a second home in Turkey and travel extensively. This was their first visit to our area of the USA so they really have nothing to compare us with other than the 5* hotels they usually stay in while traveling Europe and the world. They said nothing negative in the review, only glowing positive comments, but they gave us 4 circles on value (they booked our most expensive, ocean-view cottage), rooms (800 sq ft of private indoor space) and sleep quality (whatever that means...I know the birds woke them up at least one morning).
Ahhhh, well I wrote a lovely response thanking them and lied a bit saying that from frequent world travelers, we considered their review "high praise". Hopefully anyone reading the review will put it in context.
Reviews are relative.
We had a review last year from a Finish couple, gave us 4 and a couple a negatives, but basically they were staying in country houses and manor houses for the rest of their trip charging almost 3x our price, so there was no way we could live up to that.

wink_smile.gif
We've had 4 star reviews from people who stayed for free. And they complained it wasn't worth it.
Sheesh!!
I'd be tempted to throw the house keys into the Loch and walk off into the sunset.

happykeeper said:
happykeeper said:
happykeeper said:
TheBeachHouse said:
AH HA! We have our tshirt!
[h3]
"Pillows are like coffee - you cannot please everyone. We have guests who bring their own pillows. We have guests who bring their own coffee."[/h3]
Mattresses are something else that you are never going to please everyone, although we've never had someone bring their own............. yet!!

Back