Friends and Family discounts

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you intend to use your B & B rooms as deductions on income tax, you must charge them. Family pays or you have to adjust the number of days you use as a B & B. This has been discussed previously. Of course, we all know people do it all the time and don't report it. But you really need to make it clear that you are a business and it has to be treated as such otherwise your friends and family may take advantage and take up more of your time than guests will..
I guess I am different. I told my family and friends that this is our busy time of year. They are more then welcome in our personal quarters. Our nick name for that room is called the paupers roomLOL.
But if you want to stay in one of our Suites it must be as a paying guest. My sister in law comes every year with her girl friend and stays for 4 days We treat her just like our other guests. She loves it in this area as we have winery after winery.
Flower said:
I guess I am different. I told my family and friends that this is our busy time of year. They are more then welcome in our personal quarters. Our nick name for that room is called the paupers roomLOL.
But if you want to stay in one of our Suites it must be as a paying guest. My sister in law comes every year with her girl friend and stays for 4 days We treat her just like our other guests. She loves it in this area as we have winery after winery.
We did/do the same. If family/friend stays in our cramped OQ, no charge. Stay in a guest room and they pay. Out of season I'll give a BIG discount, but in season they pay full price. Sometimes I've had them stay at cheaper motels in the area because of their budget.

I have paid a local motel for a night when the kids came in a night of a full-house. Cost less than giving up a room. Now I would be hurting. That motel is so full they pay ME to house their accountant for 2-nights in January. Of course, after the first stay, he TOLD them he wanted to stay here!!!

BTW, as you may have already figured out, you are probably going to get a zillion different answers! You get to pick what works for you! These are merely suggestions and your mileage may vary. (YMMV)

BTW, as you may have already figured out, you are probably going to get a zillion different answers! You get to pick what works for you! These are merely suggestions and your mileage may vary. (YMMV).
Madeleine said:
BTW, as you may have already figured out, you are probably going to get a zillion different answers! You get to pick what works for you! These are merely suggestions and your mileage may vary. (YMMV)
Oh I know. I expected different answers. But I'm new to the business and really wonder what everyone else does.

BTW, as you may have already figured out, you are probably going to get a zillion different answers! You get to pick what works for you! These are merely suggestions and your mileage may vary. (YMMV).
Madeleine said:
Oh I know. I expected different answers. But I'm new to the business and really wonder what everyone else does.
TheBeachHouse said:
Madeleine said:
Try creating a poll.
Then you can compare apples and oranges.
thumbs_up.gif

Madeleine said:
That is another reason you have to take an aspiring innkeeper workshop ASAP

One thing about having family and friends visit at the b&b is that it's wonderful to see them, but it's truly exhausting if you have other guests also.

Beach House it really depends on who and when. I guarantee people WON'T come in the off season to see you, they want the beach.
But, having said that, if it is a family member of mine, I want to see them! I am not from a family who is always together all the time. When my Nana came out that was the last time I saw her. I would give anything for her to stay with us again!
People TALK about coming to visit, more than they do visit. It still costs money to go on vacation, drive or fly. It will make you nervous thinking that EVERYONE is going to known down your door to stay with you, then realize very few actually do.
Of course you may have that cousin overseas who thinks he/she can crash at your place for a month. So you know who they are and will prevent that.
My final thought - after 10 years of running a B&B, if I cannot do what I want when I want to, if I am so strict with my business as to miss out on the important things in life, like friends and family, I will dig myself into a quick grave. Be proud of your place, show it off. They can be great PR for you!
regular_smile.gif
You make several good points. I learned long ago that I need to work to live, not live to work. Family and important moments matter more. So I appreciate your last paragraph.
We are good hosts. We've been told that by many. At this point, we live in a 4 bedroom house and it is full two or three times during each summer, so the people who have been visiting us in this town for years, will want to continue. I want them to have a great visit without giving away the farm (or the Inn.)
I did not realize that using a room without charging was a tax issue, so I am very glad I asked and heard that. Useful.
I don't know if this is your place or not...if it is..I suggest a new website quickly.
hmmm. is this my hazing for being the new kid?
The hazing hasn't even begun. You'll know it when it happens.
devil_smile.gif

We all have opinions and some of us sound harsher in text than we really are. So, search our page for anything you want to know, ask a ton of questions and take whatever useful information you can from all of it. Don't get offended if you ask everyone's opinion and you hear stuff you don't like. I've been on this forum only a year and I can't imagine what I would have done without it! People around me are tired of hearing me say, "On the Innkeeper forum, they said..." But, they listen because they know it's informed, tried & tested information.

If it's a weekend where we might sell out, I'll discount 10-15%. Otherwise, it depends on which family or friend is coming. If it's a BFF that's a struggling single mom, I'd probably charge 50%, if even that. Most of my family & friends travel with their dogs, so I don't have to worry about it - we don't accept pets.

Beach House it really depends on who and when. I guarantee people WON'T come in the off season to see you, they want the beach.
But, having said that, if it is a family member of mine, I want to see them! I am not from a family who is always together all the time. When my Nana came out that was the last time I saw her. I would give anything for her to stay with us again!
People TALK about coming to visit, more than they do visit. It still costs money to go on vacation, drive or fly. It will make you nervous thinking that EVERYONE is going to known down your door to stay with you, then realize very few actually do.
Of course you may have that cousin overseas who thinks he/she can crash at your place for a month. So you know who they are and will prevent that.
My final thought - after 10 years of running a B&B, if I cannot do what I want when I want to, if I am so strict with my business as to miss out on the important things in life, like friends and family, I will dig myself into a quick grave. Be proud of your place, show it off. They can be great PR for you!
regular_smile.gif
You make several good points. I learned long ago that I need to work to live, not live to work. Family and important moments matter more. So I appreciate your last paragraph.
We are good hosts. We've been told that by many. At this point, we live in a 4 bedroom house and it is full two or three times during each summer, so the people who have been visiting us in this town for years, will want to continue. I want them to have a great visit without giving away the farm (or the Inn.)
I did not realize that using a room without charging was a tax issue, so I am very glad I asked and heard that. Useful.
I don't know if this is your place or not...if it is..I suggest a new website quickly.
hmmm. is this my hazing for being the new kid?
devil_smile.gif

We all have opinions and some of us sound harsher in text than we really are. So, search our page for anything you want to know, ask a ton of questions and take whatever useful information you can from all of it. Don't get offended if you ask everyone's opinion and you hear stuff you don't like. I've been on this forum only a year and I can't imagine what I would have done without it! People around me are tired of hearing me say, "On the Innkeeper forum, they said..." But, they listen because they know it's informed, tried & tested information.
K9 said:
devil_smile.gif

We all have opinions and some of us sound harsher in text than we really are. ... But, they listen because they know it's informed, tried & tested information.
I am actually a sweetheart in person. ;-)
And, yes, the info is tried & tested. It doesn't all work everywhere, but it sure as heck works somewhere!

If you intend to use your B & B rooms as deductions on income tax, you must charge them. Family pays or you have to adjust the number of days you use as a B & B. This has been discussed previously. Of course, we all know people do it all the time and don't report it. But you really need to make it clear that you are a business and it has to be treated as such otherwise your friends and family may take advantage and take up more of your time than guests will..
Flower said:
We did/do the same. If family/friend stays in our cramped OQ, no charge. Stay in a guest room and they pay. Out of season I'll give a BIG discount, but in season they pay full price. Sometimes I've had them stay at cheaper motels in the area because of their budget.
The first few years hubby family came to check out our house. He has a big family. Now they come every year one or the other one. They are pretty good about coming when it is not crazy.We just bought a motor home so now it is great! they stay there if we are full. They love it as they can come a go as they wish. They could before too. But for some strange reason they felt like they had to hang a round. I supply the breakfast they perpare theirs. As we delivery our guest(paying guest} there breakfast. Then it is clean up time for us and shopping for fresh produce. We reconnect late afternoon and late evening. It is a bit crazy at times . As we are a "holiday Place to be" so they all love coming here then. Belive it or not we do get some quality time in

I would never charge close family. They all have skills and contribute - dad is an electrician and b-i-l can fix anything! My mother, and close friends help me with draperies, upholstery and other sewing projects as well as gardening. They contribute so much and are willing to take any room any time. Sometimes we have to put them on the 3rd floor, but no one seems to mind.
I do have cousins who are occasionally in the area for business and they insist on paying, but I never charge them full price. They have a beach house and we trade off rooms. DH and I just got back from 4 days down the shore!
Oh, and speaking of beach houses...if the aforementioned website IS yours, please update it. It's not very user-friendly at all and if that may be the only impression people get of your place. They'll move on to the next.

I would never charge close family. They all have skills and contribute - dad is an electrician and b-i-l can fix anything! My mother, and close friends help me with draperies, upholstery and other sewing projects as well as gardening. They contribute so much and are willing to take any room any time. Sometimes we have to put them on the 3rd floor, but no one seems to mind.
I do have cousins who are occasionally in the area for business and they insist on paying, but I never charge them full price. They have a beach house and we trade off rooms. DH and I just got back from 4 days down the shore!
Oh, and speaking of beach houses...if the aforementioned website IS yours, please update it. It's not very user-friendly at all and if that may be the only impression people get of your place. They'll move on to the next..
Aussie...fyi.. the web site is NOT theirs.

Back