Front Loaders and Smelly Towels

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The beauty of what I bought was the dryer has a curved opening and up toward the top, so moving stuff from the washer to the dryer is great and you don't hit your knuckles on the edge. It actually opens up toward the top of the front and is a larger opening than all the other dryers there.
Whirlpool Cabrio.
385370.jpg
Those look great! I gave in and bought a front loader for our home downstate. I HATE it. I had to wash a jacket quickly, and found it could not do it because it could not "balance" the load. I had to add more. Standard cycle is an hour. Good Golly. Give me a top loader any day. Will definitely do top loader(s) for the lodge. Love that curved door. Is yours OK with comforters?

Is there anyone who is happy with their front loader? If so what is the make?

Is there anyone who is happy with their front loader? If so what is the make?.
MTLLodge said:
We have the new Samsung VRT front loader washer & Steam dryer (electric, no gas here
cry_smile.gif
) and have been (so far) pleased with them. I use the sanitize cycle 1-2 times a week to keep the machine sparkling clean. Our washing model has a cleaning door at the bottom (don't know if this is standard or not) which says to open and clean out once every 2 months. After reading this thread, I am going to increase this process as it does release about 1/4 cup of water when we opened it and I would think that if this water sits too long it could be subject be a mold producer. Being in our business, I can not see this water becoming stagnant but now will be more proactive.
After reading the article Catlady posted, I will now keep the door ajar as well as the detergent drawer when not in use - being proactive!
I have not had a problem with stinky towels but do remove them straight away and place in the dryer.
I just LOVE my steam dryer - almost wrinkle free, less ironing! Woohoo!

As a salesman of appliances we run into this all the time. The rotten smell is from leftovers in the machine rotting, whether soap or softener. It is imperative to use HE (high efficiency) soap. It is the european style of soap; a different chemistry than the north american soap. If you have a stinky washer get some Affresh. It is pollident for the washer. The bubbling gets everywhere. Try to leave it in the machine as long as possible with the hottest water. Wash for 2 minutes, pause for 1/2 hour. Try to keep this up for a few hours. It will kill everything that is growing. Keeping the door open dries it up faster, but at the end of the wash cycle the only thing left in there should be clean water & clean clothes. The old top loads took 22 gal of water per change of water, the new front loaders are about 7-9 gals of water per change of water. If you use softener dilute it by 50% before putting it in the machine. We have had a front loader for 12 years. No problems yet. Hope that helps.
BBBob

As a salesman of appliances we run into this all the time. The rotten smell is from leftovers in the machine rotting, whether soap or softener. It is imperative to use HE (high efficiency) soap. It is the european style of soap; a different chemistry than the north american soap. If you have a stinky washer get some Affresh. It is pollident for the washer. The bubbling gets everywhere. Try to leave it in the machine as long as possible with the hottest water. Wash for 2 minutes, pause for 1/2 hour. Try to keep this up for a few hours. It will kill everything that is growing. Keeping the door open dries it up faster, but at the end of the wash cycle the only thing left in there should be clean water & clean clothes. The old top loads took 22 gal of water per change of water, the new front loaders are about 7-9 gals of water per change of water. If you use softener dilute it by 50% before putting it in the machine. We have had a front loader for 12 years. No problems yet. Hope that helps.
BBBob.
Perfect person for my question...I have an LG front loader that doesn't seem to get very much water into the tub for washing. How much water should be in there? Enough to see 'sloshing' or just enough to make the clothes dampish? I keep thinking I need more water so I hit the 'extra water' button for every load, which seems a waste!
Everything comes out damp, and needs 40+ minutes to dry, so there is probably enough water, but without seeing any sloshing going on, I'm wondering!
I will say that if anything goes in a 'regular' wash cycle smelling it comes out smelling. Which is why I think the water level is too low.

MTLLodge said:
We have the new Samsung VRT front loader washer & Steam dryer (electric, no gas here
cry_smile.gif
) and have been (so far) pleased with them. I use the sanitize cycle 1-2 times a week to keep the machine sparkling clean. Our washing model has a cleaning door at the bottom (don't know if this is standard or not) which says to open and clean out once every 2 months. After reading this thread, I am going to increase this process as it does release about 1/4 cup of water when we opened it and I would think that if this water sits too long it could be subject be a mold producer. Being in our business, I can not see this water becoming stagnant but now will be more proactive.
After reading the article Catlady posted, I will now keep the door ajar as well as the detergent drawer when not in use - being proactive!
I have not had a problem with stinky towels but do remove them straight away and place in the dryer.
As a salesman I love to sell the Samsung units. Well built & suitable for 2nd floor installation. I would not put any other unit on the 2nd floor. Too much vibration. We have had customers that tried to use some of the others & they have literally shaken the pictures off the walls. There silver care units will be discoed this year. It is a great feature for killing bacteria in cold water washes.
BBBob

BBBob.
Perfect person for my question...I have an LG front loader that doesn't seem to get very much water into the tub for washing. How much water should be in there? Enough to see 'sloshing' or just enough to make the clothes dampish? I keep thinking I need more water so I hit the 'extra water' button for every load, which seems a waste!
Everything comes out damp, and needs 40+ minutes to dry, so there is probably enough water, but without seeing any sloshing going on, I'm wondering!
I will say that if anything goes in a 'regular' wash cycle smelling it comes out smelling. Which is why I think the water level is too low.
Water level is determined by the absorbency rate of the product in the unit. (but there is always a minimum amount) IE cotton will need more water than poly. Wash cycle are much longer than the traditional units. Try to match the soil level & wash style to the product being cleaned. If "smelling" is like the rancid smells that they are talking about in this thread, then you have other issues. Try ti fill the units as full as possible. more product=better wash. Small loads do not wash as well or spin out as much.
Hope that answers your questions.
BBBob

BBBob.
Water level is determined by the absorbency rate of the product in the unit. (but there is always a minimum amount) IE cotton will need more water than poly. Wash cycle are much longer than the traditional units. Try to match the soil level & wash style to the product being cleaned. If "smelling" is like the rancid smells that they are talking about in this thread, then you have other issues. Try ti fill the units as full as possible. more product=better wash. Small loads do not wash as well or spin out as much.
BBBob
I never see water sloshing, no matter what is in there. I do fill up the machine as much as possible. Rarely do I do a load that is not full.
The smell is not in the machine, it's the clothes. Perfume-y clothes going in mean ALL the clothes are perfume-y coming out. But nothing in the next load comes out perfume-y.

MTLLodge said:
cry_smile.gif
As a salesman I love to sell the Samsung units. Well built & suitable for 2nd floor installation. I would not put any other unit on the 2nd floor. Too much vibration. We have had customers that tried to use some of the others & they have literally shaken the pictures off the walls. There silver care units will be discoed this year. It is a great feature for killing bacteria in cold water washes.
BBBob
Glad to here this BBBob! So far I am a very happy camper.

BBBob.
BBBob
I never see water sloshing, no matter what is in there. I do fill up the machine as much as possible. Rarely do I do a load that is not full.
The smell is not in the machine, it's the clothes. Perfume-y clothes going in mean ALL the clothes are perfume-y coming out. But nothing in the next load comes out perfume-y.
Try doing the extra rinse. (or less perfume)
wink_smile.gif
That may help.
BBBBob

BBBob.
BBBob
Try doing the extra rinse. (or less perfume)
wink_smile.gif
That may help.
BBBBob
I do that with the rinse. It's not me who smells good!
embaressed_smile.gif

I can put the same clothes in the top loader and they come out 'fresh' and unscented. My old front loader had the sloshing water and cleaned better. I'm getting ready to call in the service people before we get really busy and make sure everything is hooked up right and balanced.

I already have something made in New Zealand. Might need an upgrade on that soon as its starting to fall apart.
wink_smile.gif
Repairs are much better for that particular item! the effort involved in doing an upgrade (especially considering the options available - ugh) and trying to find an owner's manual is not worth it. Do not think an upgrade is possible. You already have top of the line.

I have been extremely happy with the Bosch front loaders..
Innkeeper To Go said:
I have been extremely happy with the Bosch front loaders.
Me, too!! And I would buy another, and another... (well, hopefully not - it's a major ordeal shoving a pair of these down a hatch in the bow deck since my doorways are only 22" wide!) The sanitation cycle instantly solved my smelly towel problem once and for all, and my problem had nothing to do with how old the machine was (it was brand new), or how long the stuff sat in there (no more than a few minutes after the cycle was finished)...more than a year later using the sanitation cycle and not a single smelly anything since. Enough HEAT kills anything. I can walk past this washer in the sanitation cycle and feel the great amount of heat coming from it. I know bacteria and "stink" are dying in there for sure!

The problem with stinky towels and facecloths is not with the machine. If it was then everything would stink, right???? It is with the body oils, etc. Towels don't smell bad when they are dry but they stink when wet. Same thing will happen to a shower curtain. This is why I use white. This is why hotels use white. Bleach, etc. can be used. I'm sure the sani-cycle solves the problem and possibly the steam machines. I have the nose of a cochroach and I hate, hate hate going to BB's with coloured towels because nine times out of 10 they are going to smell pissy as soon as they get wet (and sometimes even before that). It's equally important to keep that shower curtain clean if you have one.

The problem with stinky towels and facecloths is not with the machine. If it was then everything would stink, right???? It is with the body oils, etc. Towels don't smell bad when they are dry but they stink when wet. Same thing will happen to a shower curtain. This is why I use white. This is why hotels use white. Bleach, etc. can be used. I'm sure the sani-cycle solves the problem and possibly the steam machines. I have the nose of a cochroach and I hate, hate hate going to BB's with coloured towels because nine times out of 10 they are going to smell pissy as soon as they get wet (and sometimes even before that). It's equally important to keep that shower curtain clean if you have one..
ginocat said:
The problem with stinky towels and facecloths is not with the machine. If it was then everything would stink, right???? It is with the body oils, etc. Towels don't smell bad when they are dry but they stink when wet. Same thing will happen to a shower curtain. This is why I use white. This is why hotels use white. Bleach, etc. can be used. I'm sure the sani-cycle solves the problem and possibly the steam machines. I have the nose of a cochroach and I hate, hate hate going to BB's with coloured towels because nine times out of 10 they are going to smell pissy as soon as they get wet (and sometimes even before that). It's equally important to keep that shower curtain clean if you have one.
While bleach does take care of odors and stains, it is a sewage treatment system's worst enemy. I will use bleach to clean my shower curtains and our family's socks but try to limit it to just once a week to keep my system in balance.
I have used colored towels for most of our 11 years and do not find my towels taking on odors at all even before having my sanitizing front loader - and I do have a very sensitive nose myself. We have gotten numerous compliments about our towels as well. We have an eco sign in the bathroom which does say hang towels if you will use them another day or place on floor for fresh but I always change out wet washcloths and overly wet towels each day just because we are so humid here they would never dry.

As I read this conversation, it seems the problem is often wet clothes left in the washer too long before being moved to the dryer. Seems like the solution would be a combo machine that washes the clothes then immediately dries them, all in the same unit.
I found the LG WM3431HS All-In-One Washer and Dryer that does it all. It can work as just a washer in case you want to line-dry something, as just a dryer in case something gets wet and just needs drying, or it can do both.
Any thoughs on this? Considering that it saves some of the cost of buying 2 machines, saves some of the space of 2 machines, and handles the washer-to-dryer switching problem, seems like it would be a great solution.
411f%2B8u0FrL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

As I read this conversation, it seems the problem is often wet clothes left in the washer too long before being moved to the dryer. Seems like the solution would be a combo machine that washes the clothes then immediately dries them, all in the same unit.
I have never left clothes in the washer ever. So this statement is incorrect, 100%. I can say without an fraction of doubt, this has never happened here.
My laundry is betwn family room, bedroom and kitchen, it is ALWAYS attended, always within ear shot. I know it is hard to believe, but I have innkeeper ADD and this is a truth, I cannot bear leaving linens in the washer, when they are done they are PROMPTLY put into the dryer. If I am leaving, I won't start a load. It is a pet peeve of mine...let's go back to my childhood...tee hee hee I have a parent who NEVER removed the wet clothes from the washer, ever, so it is one of those quirks I have. I also buy way way way too much TP as a lazy parent ALWAYS let it run out. Hey I yam what I yam.
confused_smile.gif

Back