fru fru

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
PS: your historic building is lovely, and would lend itself to a mission-style of decorating - which is beautiful and spare. Lots of nice warm tones - copper and gold - and clean lines. I aspire to that although I still have too much stuff to really pull it off in my home..
Maybe in a remodel in a few years.

heart.gif
With just three rooms, isn't it a more intimate setting? I would think guests would be more respectful of your guilts in a smaller place. I am a quilt COLLECTOR. If you are worried about how the quilts will be treated or how they are holding up, I would mount and hang them on the walls. Just gorgeous!
Fru fru? No! Little doo-dads on shelves and things? No. And I have to add my warning about the dusting. You have antique pieces that need care. Any fine and interesting pieces like that are perfect. But guests will touch them, handle them, not meaning any harm. But my antique spinning wheel got broken.
I live in an old house (1620's or so in the oldest parts) too, and the long, stringy COBWEBS that seam to appear out of nowhere in the oldest rooms is like nowhere else. I don't know why! Up on the beams is the worst. Maybe I just don't see them until they get big. *shudder*
But pillows, sleeping pillows? Yes! I sleep with two - just for me. So I like four on the bed. And I don't mean the ones in pillow shams, I mean bed pillows meant to be used for sleeping. I like to make the bed with two pillows lying flat and then two propped up. Decorative throw pillows? Guilty! Especially if they match the quilt or covering. So those have to be durable - I used to make them with scraps (I am sure you know what I mean) and they were machine stitched, not by hand, so they can stand 'tossing' off the bed.
I would definitely buy a handmade quilt, especially if you sign/label it and give me washing instructions..
My quilts are machine made (if they had machines back in the day, they would have used them..:) So, they are sturdy. I do have a few throw pillows made from the scaps of the quilts in the room. I make them with flap backs so they can be removed and washed. And, you're right about the cobwebs and the old beams. I'm not sure how that happens.
I put pillows 3 and 4 on the armoire so they can be used, but if they aren't needed or wanted, they don't end up on the floor.
I believe with our small intimate place, that people will generally be more careful with the stuff, including the quilts.
eyevea said:
And, you're right about the cobwebs and the old beams. I'm not sure how that happens.
Also, in a brand new house, if you have high ceilings and use old beams. I have living creepy-crawling proof of that!
And sorry, I didn't mean to suggest you need to remodel - just that the mission-style of decor might work well as you dress up your rooms. Those nice warm colors and clean lines let the stone work come through and feel less cold. As will the quilts. I love them - have two made from squares quilted by my great-great-grandmother. They don't wash well, so they are folded at the bottom of my (non-B&B) guest beds where they don't get much use. Handmade quilts are big sellers in Amish country, even though expensive - you may not sell many but some people will love them and want to take them home.

heart.gif
With just three rooms, isn't it a more intimate setting? I would think guests would be more respectful of your guilts in a smaller place. I am a quilt COLLECTOR. If you are worried about how the quilts will be treated or how they are holding up, I would mount and hang them on the walls. Just gorgeous!
Fru fru? No! Little doo-dads on shelves and things? No. And I have to add my warning about the dusting. You have antique pieces that need care. Any fine and interesting pieces like that are perfect. But guests will touch them, handle them, not meaning any harm. But my antique spinning wheel got broken.
I live in an old house (1620's or so in the oldest parts) too, and the long, stringy COBWEBS that seam to appear out of nowhere in the oldest rooms is like nowhere else. I don't know why! Up on the beams is the worst. Maybe I just don't see them until they get big. *shudder*
But pillows, sleeping pillows? Yes! I sleep with two - just for me. So I like four on the bed. And I don't mean the ones in pillow shams, I mean bed pillows meant to be used for sleeping. I like to make the bed with two pillows lying flat and then two propped up. Decorative throw pillows? Guilty! Especially if they match the quilt or covering. So those have to be durable - I used to make them with scraps (I am sure you know what I mean) and they were machine stitched, not by hand, so they can stand 'tossing' off the bed.
I would definitely buy a handmade quilt, especially if you sign/label it and give me washing instructions..
My quilts are machine made (if they had machines back in the day, they would have used them..:) So, they are sturdy. I do have a few throw pillows made from the scaps of the quilts in the room. I make them with flap backs so they can be removed and washed. And, you're right about the cobwebs and the old beams. I'm not sure how that happens.
I put pillows 3 and 4 on the armoire so they can be used, but if they aren't needed or wanted, they don't end up on the floor.
I believe with our small intimate place, that people will generally be more careful with the stuff, including the quilts.
I didn't realize your place was 3 rooms. Yes, in that environment, guests will generally be better behaved.
You could make scrappy pillow covers to sell to start with. Not as much effort and you use leftovers. Baby quilts also. Wall art - a single 12" square, framed.

heart.gif
eyevea said:
And, you're right about the cobwebs and the old beams. I'm not sure how that happens.
Also, in a brand new house, if you have high ceilings and use old beams. I have living creepy-crawling proof of that!
And sorry, I didn't mean to suggest you need to remodel - just that the mission-style of decor might work well as you dress up your rooms. Those nice warm colors and clean lines let the stone work come through and feel less cold. As will the quilts. I love them - have two made from squares quilted by my great-great-grandmother. They don't wash well, so they are folded at the bottom of my (non-B&B) guest beds where they don't get much use. Handmade quilts are big sellers in Amish country, even though expensive - you may not sell many but some people will love them and want to take them home.
I didn't think you were suggesting a remodel. So cool to have quilted squares from your great great grandmother. We'll see about selling quilts. Are you in Amish country? Quilts might sell here as well, but we don't get paid very much to make them. I like Morticia's idea of selling framed one block squares. I might try that.

heart.gif
I didn't realize your place was 3 rooms. Yes, in that environment, guests will generally be better behaved.
You could make scrappy pillow covers to sell to start with. Not as much effort and you use leftovers. Baby quilts also. Wall art - a single 12" square, framed.
Some great ideas, thanks. We've only had guests for two nights so far and they were very well behaved. We'll see how we do moving forward. :)

So, our decor is pretty straightforward and plain. But, I follow this store on FB that sells a lot of frilly camp bedding. So, camp style beds with tons of lacy, frilly toppers. I love it! But, oh so much to clean. Wish people were more careful so I could have fun with this!

I am not a person who does knickknack because they require dusting among other reasons. One of my early guests who became a semi-regular told me on her first visit that she liked all the space I left for her stuff. Any decorative crap is on the shelf above the mantle in the best room and just a few things such as a stocked candy dish and a small reed basket I made that has 2 bananas & 3 or 4 apples in it with snacks if they have an attack of craving munchies on the dresser - on the mantles in the other 2 rooms.
Each bed has 2 pillows and there are 2 extra pillows in the dresser. I have a quilt rack in my smallest room with an extra quilt and extra blankets in each closet. In summer I have quilts (light weight) on the beds and in winter I use flannel sheets and down comforters in duvet covers. My old house (1912 w/little insulation) rarely gets hot except on summer afternoons and then only upstairs of course so upstairs needs A/C. I also have 3 rooms.

Back