Fun! It's P trap day!

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BananaE29

Reaction score
All four guest vanities p traps are getting cleaned out today. I use baking soda and vinegar for general maintenance in keeping the drains clear, but hair and nasty still builds up in there over the years. Got my gloves, wire hanger, and mask at the ready. Probably won't be eating today. Anybody want some pictures of the goodies I pull out? LOL

Ok is about time. We do the shower drains with a toilet brush. I say 'we', I mean Gomez.

I use one of these Zip-It things once a month in both the sink and tub. Nasty job but it keeps things flowing smoothly.

I use one of these Zip-It things once a month in both the sink and tub. Nasty job but it keeps things flowing smoothly..
Copperhead said:
I use one of these Zip-It things once a month in both the sink and tub. Nasty job but it keeps things flowing smoothly.

That's a cool little contraption! I assume it just grabs the nasty and you pull it back out, right? It doesn't force it down?

I use one of these Zip-It things once a month in both the sink and tub. Nasty job but it keeps things flowing smoothly..
Copperhead said:

That's a cool little contraption! I assume it just grabs the nasty and you pull it back out, right? It doesn't force it down?
We have a bunch of those zips....works ok on some drains but not all. DH fashions a long wire with a small u-shaped hook on the end that can be inserted, twirled around and then pulled out. It gets the nasties out of the drain even better than the zip.

Does anyone just take the p-trap apart?.
Yep, easy to remove and clean, and cheap enough to replace if needed, most times if I have a problem it is not the trap, but further down the line and I need to remove the trap and run the snake down the line. I like the power snake that works with a battery powered drill for the smaller drains.

Did that but problem further down the line. :(
Was able to get part of it, running not-as-slow and no guest complaints, so will try with a small snake next time I get the chance.

Bought two yesterday on your advice. Works brilliantly on drains where I can get past the pop up, but not on the drain I put a fancy pants slightly elevated with integrated push-down stopper. so wish now I had not done that!

Bought two yesterday on your advice. Works brilliantly on drains where I can get past the pop up, but not on the drain I put a fancy pants slightly elevated with integrated push-down stopper. so wish now I had not done that!
We have ones like that but when you pop them up you can unscrew them

Did that but problem further down the line. :(
Was able to get part of it, running not-as-slow and no guest complaints, so will try with a small snake next time I get the chance.
Big box hardware store has a 25 foot snake in a drum that attaches to battery powered drill (about 25.00), this has seemed to work well for me.

Back