Garatuities, Service Charge, and Resort Fees

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
IN my opinion and the way I operate my B&B the price I advertise is all inclusive. In addition to the room and the breakfast I offer my guests access to a microwave with popcorn, a fridge with water and soda, a one cup coffee machine and home baked cookies.
That's why it costs a little more than the Comfort Inn. Savvy B&B travellers understand that's why we charge what we do. I'm an affiliate of a national B&B organization that has a website called Better Way to Stay. There is a video you can find there sarcastically showing a couple who choose the "hotel package "at a B&B where their delicious breakfast is set before them and then wisked away to be replaced by a doughnut on styrofoam. It's produced as a reminder that you're not nickeled and dimed when you choose a B&B.
A typical B&B is not a resort. Why would the averagee traveller expect to pay a resort fee? That is just a dumb question..
I was looking for opinions and stances on the subject--I have seen both and am looking for some first hand knowledge.
By the way..........the only dumb question is the one that is not asked.
Well guess you got what you asked for :) Don't take it personally...most here just tell it like it is.
It is good that everyone tells it like it is-- I like the candor. The pen can be mightier than the sword, and it can also cut a very wide swath (of interpretation)
Let's get back to the question at hand-- does anyone have more opinions and or experiences with automatic service charges, gratuities, and the like?
Cheers.
All you will hear is more of the same - we are innkeepers, not hoteliers. Hotels have the hidden fees, B & Bs grab their ankles trying to make the guests' stay wonderful. And after all that, will get a TA review that gives a 4 (or less) for value.
gillumhouse said:
All you will hear is more of the same - we are innkeepers, not hoteliers. Hotels have the hidden fees, B & Bs grab their ankles trying to make the guests' stay wonderful. And after all that, will get a TA review that gives a 4 (or less) for value.
What she said. What everybody said. No automatic gratuity charge, no service charge, no such fees. You say you've seen it both ways, but if you've seen it at a B&B or similar inn, you've witnessed an exceedingly rare circumstance.
You can have optional add-ons picked by the guest, like a dozen roses or a massage, but no blanket charge to EVERY reservation in the form of a "tax" tacked on to the quoted room rate. That's just not done. If you're going to charge everybody an extra $25, increase the room rate to reflect the actual charge. Be honest. Don't hit people with an extra charge and try to hide it until the day of arrival. Guests don't like that sort of thing one bit. Not even from the Ritz Carlton!

What is drip pricing, and why has the Federal Trade Commission put its foot down over the practice, although the FTC's full disposition is not entirely known? According to the Federal Trade Commission, the drip pricing practice involves retail pricing in which a company advertises only a portion of a product or service's total cost. The remaining charges are exposed once the customer is responsible for the purchase. Resource for this article: Financial Advice

Not every hotel or resort fee in drip pricing schemes charges the same fee; the term refers to any fee a hotel, resort or airline or so on doesn’t disclose, which is actually kind of the point. The idea, though no business using a drip pricing scheme is going to cop to it, is for the consumer to not know and succumb to the ambush. It’s the kind of stuff that could send a person running for financial aid to cover for losses incurred by their vacation.

Never expected a gratuity as an innkeeper. If someone leaves something wonderful. Otherwise, no. we are not resorts. I feel our rates should reflect the service and amenities we provide..
Well I really appreciate your efforts. But I got few really good reviews for Asayana !!

Back