GF + LF?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I feel bad for the real celiacs and other real issues who have to struggle with this daily. The fad dieters (and this is why we have so many GF and LF right now) are another story altogether. I get the modified wheat issue and more. Just eat what you want to eat, and don't order us around!.
When we can, I prefer to bore them to death with scrambled eggs. ;-)
We can't cook for fads, there are too many of them.
I know they are not telling the chefs at restaurants how to prepare the meals but there they can pick thru the menu to get what they want.
I don't like doing it but I do make them explain, in person, how bad their allergy is. No airborne particles? No contact? Ok if it's on the same table with their meal? Would gf bread put in the toaster make them ill?
No dairy? Does that mean butter? Cheese? Yogurt?
And when they start adding things back in I put it bluntly, "so it's not an allergy that will cause you serious pain or illness, it's a choice, correct?"
We've all had the guest with the restricted diet who then tells of the wonderful whatever they had for lunch and dinner that was loaded with the restricted food.
I do this in email sometimes. For those with real allergies this is stress relieving. For those without it's annoying and well, they start to realize how much trouble we will go.
Sometimes I think people do this because it's essentially a control issue. They find that food is the one part of their life that they can control and never realize that in fact the food issues have taken control over them.
We have a guest like that. She brings her own food divided up into serving sizes and we just plate it up nicely.
They've been coming here for years, before us even, and it's gotten worse.
All they talk about over breakfast is food and what they can't eat or how they were bad and ate a cookie.
It's sad.
Not an allergy just recovering over eaters. Which can be like alcohol I know.
It's very very sad.

Ever notice that it's only women?.
Jon Sable said:
Ever notice that it's only women?
Yes. And it annoys the heck out of me.
Wonder why only women seem to be allergic to gluten... other than Celiacs.
Uncle is Celiac. Didn't develop until his later years. The undiagnosed Celiac led to a host of problems including heart. When he went gluten free the recovery was amazing. Now my cousin is developing some of the same symptoms he started with. Fortunately she has adjusted her diet and is doing well.
Several of our guests have said 'gluten light' then when they get here, change their minds to 'not while we're here'. My recent gluten free vegan was happy with oatmeal. Every day of 5 days. Her request. Only variation was rolled, or steel cut and the fruit served with changed each day.
We will often only have one room at a time, so much easier to accommodate. I do ask them to let me know in advance because any but the most basic shopping must be done many miles away.
A well-stocked pantry helps. I always have Thai green curry makings on hand for the unexpected vegan dinner! Just laid in some wheat free pasta but bloggers say it can be tricky to cook until done-but-not-gummy so I'll have to play guinea pig on us a few times before it becomes part of the rotation.

Back