Govnt shut down?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We have not seen any cancellations or change in reservation patterns, but I'm so sorry to hear about those of you who are being affected by this nonsense! Hope our lawmakers get their acts together soon.

Bless their hearts, our honeymooners from Indiana (Linden, for my inndie innmates) had a picnic lunch from the B&B and broke the law and ate at a picnic table in a federally closed area on the blue ridge parkway. I always give them a picnic blanket and red and white checkered tablecloth, so they climbed around the barricades and had a honeymoon picnic.
I laughed and said if you had been arrested it would have been a great story to tell your children and grandchildren... Arrested on our honeymoon for having a picnic in a national park... oi veigh.
confused_smile.gif
Same place as this photo I took of daughter and pooch...
Blue%20Ridge%20Day_Claiborne%20House.jpg

Bless their hearts, our honeymooners from Indiana (Linden, for my inndie innmates) had a picnic lunch from the B&B and broke the law and ate at a picnic table in a federally closed area on the blue ridge parkway. I always give them a picnic blanket and red and white checkered tablecloth, so they climbed around the barricades and had a honeymoon picnic.
I laughed and said if you had been arrested it would have been a great story to tell your children and grandchildren... Arrested on our honeymoon for having a picnic in a national park... oi veigh.
confused_smile.gif
Same place as this photo I took of daughter and pooch...
Blue%20Ridge%20Day_Claiborne%20House.jpg
We have seen lots of hikers coming in and out of the park.

No cancellations, but reservations for November aren't flooding in. Could just be a coincidence.

No cancellations here...and we are literally inside the National Park. This next weekend is a festival weekend and we are full. But we do have a 30 day cancellation policy and we do take a 2-night deposit (checks only), so there is an added incentive for all of our guests to show up. Besides, the 2 couples who are staying for 2-nights paid for their stay with their advanced deposit that was taken 2 months ago, and the couple staying for 3 nights is a returning guest who apparently is not impacted by the shutdown.
Fortunately, the area we are in is open...it has to be because we live here and need access. But the historic house across the road is closed to tours. The beaches are still accessible to anyone who knows a few "secret" places to park but the NPS lots are closed to parking. We are hoping that the whole budget mess gets resolved today or else we are ALL in deep do do!

Looks like the shutdown/default are over with...for a few months. It's crazy to go through this again in January! Bad for business!

Looks like the shutdown/default are over with...for a few months. It's crazy to go through this again in January! Bad for business!.
Can't wait to get into the National Park. Hope there are some leaves left to photograph. And the bears won't know what to think now that people are back :)

Looks like the shutdown/default are over with...for a few months. It's crazy to go through this again in January! Bad for business!.
Can't wait to get into the National Park. Hope there are some leaves left to photograph. And the bears won't know what to think now that people are back :)
The phone is ringing! Euro guests are delighted. Everyone is smiling again.

Madeleine said:
regular_smile.gif

Madeleine said:
regular_smile.gif

Madeleine said:
regular_smile.gif

Breakfast Nemo really means it!.
How did that happen? I only clicked once! Sheesh! I am happy for all of you though. We only had 1 person try to cx at the last minute, so we opened up the room and was able to fill it. Otherwise, she was stuck coming. I figure fed employees make more money and have better benefits than I do! Fortunately, no too many fed employees around us.

No cancellations here. Of course, our area is not National Parks type. Did have several guests who had been to other areas - DC, Gettysburg, etc. who showed up here early b/c their plans were cut short. One couple from Wyoming said, "they were closing the parks right in front of us." So sad.
Glad all is open now and back up to business as usual. At least the furloughed workers will see back pay. Not so lucky for those who depend on the National Parks and things to bring in the tourists to stay. Saw on the telly yesterday a story about a campground owner in Gettysburg who figured he'd lost some $95K due to the shut-down. WOW!

Back