Guest Brought BBQ Grill - REALLY?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would send him to the nearest picnic area, letting him know that a guest's grill is a fire hazard that our insurance will not cover. Period..
Silverspoon said:
I would send him to the nearest picnic area, letting him know that a guest's grill is a fire hazard that our insurance will not cover. Period.

Yep. I can always find a way to decline on something I don't like..."No, I'm sorry - the fire marshall doesn't allow candles or any open flame on the property"....."No, I'm sorry, your children can't stay here. Our insurance policy doesn't cover anyone under the age of 18."....."No, I'm sorry, I can't allow you to use the kitchen - the health department doesn't allow it."...."No, I'm sorry, you can't sleep four people in one room - the fire regulations dictate a maximum of two persons per room."....

I'm sure there are more. You hear it all after awhile.
The fire Dept and the health Dept and the insurance company are my friends. I call on them many times.
But, I know other innkeepers with different insurance people and stuffing 6 adults in one room does not seem to be an issue.
Madeleine said:
The fire Dept and the health Dept and the insurance company are my friends. I call on them many times.
But, I know other innkeepers with different insurance people and stuffing 6 adults in one room does not seem to be an issue.
Took a rez yesterday for 5 in a king bed room. Told them it was a bad idea. They said, they just needed a one night crash pad and they'd be fine. We'll see. Charged them the extra $25 per person.
I cant beliee you did not just say NO! REALLLY????why would you allowe this?

I would send him to the nearest picnic area, letting him know that a guest's grill is a fire hazard that our insurance will not cover. Period..
Silverspoon said:
I would send him to the nearest picnic area, letting him know that a guest's grill is a fire hazard that our insurance will not cover. Period.

Yep. I can always find a way to decline on something I don't like..."No, I'm sorry - the fire marshall doesn't allow candles or any open flame on the property"....."No, I'm sorry, your children can't stay here. Our insurance policy doesn't cover anyone under the age of 18."....."No, I'm sorry, I can't allow you to use the kitchen - the health department doesn't allow it."...."No, I'm sorry, you can't sleep four people in one room - the fire regulations dictate a maximum of two persons per room."....

Madeleine said:
Took a rez yesterday for 5 in a king bed room. Told them it was a bad idea. They said, they just needed a one night crash pad and they'd be fine. We'll see. Charged them the extra $25 per person.
I'm really shocked that you booked them. Do you really want to be known as a crash pad? I'm really hoping for the best, but be prepared for the worst.

Silverspoon said:

Madeleine said:
I'm really shocked that you booked them. Do you really want to be known as a crash pad? I'm really hoping for the best, but be prepared for the worst.
Breakfast Diva said:
Hubby is a pushover.

Silverspoon said:

Madeleine said:
Breakfast Diva said:
Hubby is a pushover.
TheBeachHouse said:
Breakfast Diva said:
Hubby is a pushover.
That will wear off this summer, not to worry. A couple of crashers will do that. Even if they are lovely people the amount of wear 5 people put on a room in one night will help convince him.
We get this a lot. Dh still puts the onus on me to tell them no because I'm the one who cares. He'd put 10 in a bed if someone asked.
So, I take that back, if yours is like mine you'll be dealing with this forever!

Silverspoon said:

Madeleine said:
Breakfast Diva said:
Hubby is a pushover.
TheBeachHouse said:
Breakfast Diva said:
Hubby is a pushover.
That will wear off this summer, not to worry. A couple of crashers will do that. Even if they are lovely people the amount of wear 5 people put on a room in one night will help convince him.
We get this a lot. Dh still puts the onus on me to tell them no because I'm the one who cares. He'd put 10 in a bed if someone asked.
So, I take that back, if yours is like mine you'll be dealing with this forever!
Madeleine said:
TheBeachHouse said:
Breakfast Diva said:
Hubby is a pushover.
And people love him. It's his business, not mine. I have a job outside the house, so he gets to make the day to day decisions. I think it is a bunch of wedding guests and they booked two rooms so they have a place to sleep after the wedding.
He told them they would be on the floor and they went for it.

Silverspoon said:

Madeleine said:
TheBeachHouse said:
Madeleine said:
Is this a family or a bunch of young adults? If the latter, really a bad idea as 'party time' comes to mind.

Silverspoon said:

Madeleine said:
Breakfast Diva said:
Hubby is a pushover.
TheBeachHouse said:
Breakfast Diva said:
Hubby is a pushover.
Madeleine said:
TheBeachHouse said:
Breakfast Diva said:
Hubby is a pushover.
And people love him. It's his business, not mine. I have a job outside the house, so he gets to make the day to day decisions. I think it is a bunch of wedding guests and they booked two rooms so they have a place to sleep after the wedding.
He told them they would be on the floor and they went for it.
Then you are a wise woman to stay out of it!

We state on everything that we are a smoke free facility.
Saw a guy on my front porch with a cigarette. My brand new, very expensive wood front porch. I was horrified. There are no ashtrays. What did he think he would do with the ashes and worse, the butt? Throw it in a trash can? I am verrrryy careful with ashes and would never put a cigarette in a trash can.
I sent Hubby out with a bowl (I couldn't find an ashtray.) Guest stated that he only smoked once a day. Hubby reminded him we didn't permit smoking.
What do you do when someone smokes anyway?

Saw a guy on my front porch with a cigarette. My brand new, very expensive wood front porch. I was horrified. There are no ashtrays. What did he think he would do with the ashes and worse, the butt? Throw it in a trash can? I am verrrryy careful with ashes and would never put a cigarette in a trash can.
I sent Hubby out with a bowl (I couldn't find an ashtray.) Guest stated that he only smoked once a day. Hubby reminded him we didn't permit smoking.
What do you do when someone smokes anyway?.
If they're outside I hand them an ashtray and ask them to move 20 feet from the building. 20 feet away is a state law.
They will bring the butts in and throw them in the trash can right next to your breakfast buffet. Yes. They will do that. And then you will grab the trash can and empty it out because the stench is causing your asthma to kick in.
They will also litter the lawn. I've seen people use my stone wall as an ashtray.
Put a little signage on your porch about moving away from the building to smoke.
I've had walk inns walk back out because of guests on the porch smoking in front of open doors and windows with the smoke blowing right in the house.

Everyone assumes the smoke free means inside. If you mean outside also you have to say "building and grounds".

If they're outside I hand them an ashtray and ask them to move 20 feet from the building. 20 feet away is a state law.
They will bring the butts in and throw them in the trash can right next to your breakfast buffet. Yes. They will do that. And then you will grab the trash can and empty it out because the stench is causing your asthma to kick in.
They will also litter the lawn. I've seen people use my stone wall as an ashtray.
Put a little signage on your porch about moving away from the building to smoke.
I've had walk inns walk back out because of guests on the porch smoking in front of open doors and windows with the smoke blowing right in the house.
Madeleine said:
I asked my husband to specifically tell him to leave the ashtray outside and not to clean it up. Fire scares me.

Silverspoon said:

Madeleine said:
Bad idea. Puts strain on your water usage, extra wear and tear on the bathroom and potentially a bad review - they may complain that bedroom was crowded and to small. You do not want to turn your B&B into a hostel! (not that is anything wrong with the hostel)

Silverspoon said:

Madeleine said:
I try to keep my mouth shut in here, even when my jaw drops. But not this time...Girl, you are crazy! This will be the last time you allow it, trust me!

Madeleine said:
I asked my husband to specifically tell him to leave the ashtray outside and not to clean it up. Fire scares me.
Our website states: the that we are completely non-smoking including our entryway, back deck and fire pit area. Yes even the fire pit area because I don't want guests smoking out there throwing butts on the ground. We have a smoking station at the parking lot and guests are told that is the only place to smoke and dispose of their butts. Might find one or two walking at the very edge of the property with their cigarette but this keeps them away from the building and common grounds for the most part.

Back