Hang In There Coastal Innmates!

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lee2014

Reaction score
Just wanted to say, Best Wishes to you all with the storm!
We spent the day putting all the lawn furniture, etc away. We even took down the deck's awning since we don't think it would hold in the 35-75 mile per hour winds they are saying.
I was carrying a packaged float raft and goggles to put away in the pool box when one of the repeat guests went out to their car. I handed them to her as I said, "We are passing these out to all the guests for when the storm hits." She just burst out laughing! Later they were playing chess in the front hall.

I just got a high surf warning from an app on my tablet.

Please, all of you affected, report in as soon as it passes so we do not worry more than we already do. All I can do, unfortunately, is offer a safe harbor if needed/wanted.

Everyone just be careful and don't take any risks!

Battening down here as well. DH will dismantle the screen gazebo and secure all outdoor furniture. Time for me to rescue ferns and other hanging plants and bring them in. We badly need the rain but could do without the wind and coastal erosion.
Guests in the cottage until Tuesday so must prepare for possible loss of power/water. Sigh. Thinking of fellow inn mates along the coast.

My thoughts and prayers are with all involved. I apologize that I haven't seen the weather yet this morning - is this still a hurricane, or downgraded?

3:40pm on Sunday…. Bright sunshine with little breezes. The summer helper's parents just showed up with their van for her to load her things in while they go into town. He says that the air smells like South Carolina. The guests in the downstairs room said they are buying wine for everyone in the house for a toast tonight. We just booked our last room in the house with an one nighter. At high tide this morning a guest who left today went down and took videos and pictures. The waves weren't quite up to the wall out on the drive. Next high tide is tonight at 6pm. I'm supposed to go out and get some snaps for him to compare. We'll see what the weather is like. Last I heard it was still a tropical storm…. but I'm behind on the news!

3:40pm on Sunday…. Bright sunshine with little breezes. The summer helper's parents just showed up with their van for her to load her things in while they go into town. He says that the air smells like South Carolina. The guests in the downstairs room said they are buying wine for everyone in the house for a toast tonight. We just booked our last room in the house with an one nighter. At high tide this morning a guest who left today went down and took videos and pictures. The waves weren't quite up to the wall out on the drive. Next high tide is tonight at 6pm. I'm supposed to go out and get some snaps for him to compare. We'll see what the weather is like. Last I heard it was still a tropical storm…. but I'm behind on the news!.
My guests are waiting to hear if their sunset cruise is on or not.

3:40pm on Sunday…. Bright sunshine with little breezes. The summer helper's parents just showed up with their van for her to load her things in while they go into town. He says that the air smells like South Carolina. The guests in the downstairs room said they are buying wine for everyone in the house for a toast tonight. We just booked our last room in the house with an one nighter. At high tide this morning a guest who left today went down and took videos and pictures. The waves weren't quite up to the wall out on the drive. Next high tide is tonight at 6pm. I'm supposed to go out and get some snaps for him to compare. We'll see what the weather is like. Last I heard it was still a tropical storm…. but I'm behind on the news!.
Yesterday our guest were told the ships aren't leaving dock until the storms over.

Ferries here are not running today.

Yesterday our guest were told the ships aren't leaving dock until the storms over.
Duff2014 said:
We aren't supposed to have any 'weather' here until mid week.

Duff2014 said:
We aren't supposed to have any 'weather' here until mid week.
Last I heard we were supposed to get winds tonight but then we were not going to get the worst until Monday or Tuesday…. but that was yesterday news. I should look up what they are saying now.

5:24pm on Monday. Around 11 o'clock this morning the breezes started. At 4:30pm the wind started whipping the trees around. By 4:45pm I dragged the last of the chairs and plants inside and turned the picnic tables upside down. The pool had leaves falling into it. The wind was creating little waves on the top. Tripped over myself and fell on the cement stairs while carrying two plants. Car is parked away from trees and we are now ready….for what comes….. 30 to 50 mph winds and rain. It just started sprinkling.

5:24pm on Monday. Around 11 o'clock this morning the breezes started. At 4:30pm the wind started whipping the trees around. By 4:45pm I dragged the last of the chairs and plants inside and turned the picnic tables upside down. The pool had leaves falling into it. The wind was creating little waves on the top. Tripped over myself and fell on the cement stairs while carrying two plants. Car is parked away from trees and we are now ready….for what comes….. 30 to 50 mph winds and rain. It just started sprinkling..
I hope you did not get hurt when you tripped. May it have run out of steam by now and just be a small nuisance.

5:24pm on Monday. Around 11 o'clock this morning the breezes started. At 4:30pm the wind started whipping the trees around. By 4:45pm I dragged the last of the chairs and plants inside and turned the picnic tables upside down. The pool had leaves falling into it. The wind was creating little waves on the top. Tripped over myself and fell on the cement stairs while carrying two plants. Car is parked away from trees and we are now ready….for what comes….. 30 to 50 mph winds and rain. It just started sprinkling..
Duff2014 said:
5:24pm on Monday. Around 11 o'clock this morning the breezes started. At 4:30pm the wind started whipping the trees around. By 4:45pm I dragged the last of the chairs and plants inside and turned the picnic tables upside down. The pool had leaves falling into it. The wind was creating little waves on the top. Tripped over myself and fell on the cement stairs while carrying two plants. Car is parked away from trees and we are now ready….for what comes….. 30 to 50 mph winds and rain. It just started sprinkling.
3 of our rooms are out on a lobster boat. Hoping the weather doesn't hit until it is nothing more than a bit of rain.

I hope you did not get hurt when you tripped. May it have run out of steam by now and just be a small nuisance.
The leg hurts and it will have a bruise, but I am fine!

Glad to hear that is the extent of your injuries. Be careful

Glad to hear that is the extent of your injuries. Be careful
I'll try. I was hurrying and not watching.

Duff - my guests are headed toward your street today. What's the weather like? They're worried and talking about canceling. (They're not staying with you.)

Battening down here as well. DH will dismantle the screen gazebo and secure all outdoor furniture. Time for me to rescue ferns and other hanging plants and bring them in. We badly need the rain but could do without the wind and coastal erosion.
Guests in the cottage until Tuesday so must prepare for possible loss of power/water. Sigh. Thinking of fellow inn mates along the coast..
Spoony, how'd it go?
Here on the North side of the city, almost nothing. Wind, high surf. We didn't even bring in our kayaks off the beach. Most people left their boats in. Even the chairs on the porch didn't do their nor'easter dance.
Almost nothing. Not even rain. We are having a misty drizzle right now. Barely enough to water the potted plants.

Latest posts

Back