Hash Brown Out... Potatoes Rosti In...

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh, that made my mouth water just watching it! I'm going to have to try that this weekend. Thanks for sharing.

That looks amazing and is probably super yummy since it's cooked in butter instead of oil. But, it looks like too much work & cook time for a busy morning.

that looks great, wonder if i could do it to the point of cutting the tatoes-then keeping them in cold water overnight then proceding with the rest in morning? maybe i will try it...looks scruptious with a light egg custard that we make it would really be good. thanks for sharing!

that looks great, wonder if i could do it to the point of cutting the tatoes-then keeping them in cold water overnight then proceding with the rest in morning? maybe i will try it...looks scruptious with a light egg custard that we make it would really be good. thanks for sharing!.
birdwatcher said:
that looks great, wonder if i could do it to the point of cutting the tatoes-then keeping them in cold water overnight then proceding with the rest in morning? maybe i will try it...looks scruptious with a light egg custard that we make it would really be good. thanks for sharing!
The recipe I have from living in Switzerland where this is popular in restaurants has you boil the potatoes the night before, and chill them overnight in the fridge. Then you skin them (the skin comes off easy) and they had us just use a grater to grate them instead of the mandolin and cutting.
Then they had us melt a bit of ham fat until liquid, and toss them in the ham fat and salt and pepper and form the round in a pan. They had us put like a tablespoon of water in the pan around the edge and put a top on and cook until crispy, and then flip and finish.
I can't figure out what to call ham fat in this country. It flavors the potatoes wonderfully. It might be easier to finish in the oven like this recipe says. I'm printing the swiss recipe below
1.2 kilo potatoes (white) @ ½ pound
250 grams ham fat
Boil the potatoes with a dash of salt and 3 cups of water.
Boil on low heat around 30 minutes.
Pour out water and cool.
Put in fridge minimum of 3 hours, best overnight.
Peel and grate
Melt ham in pan. Add potatoes over medium high flame.
Toss lightly mixing the fat.
Add 3 – 4 tsp water.
Turn heat down and cover.
Brown 10 – 15 minutes.
Uncover and turn.
Brown the other side 10 – 15 minutes.
Uncover, salt and serve
Riki

that looks great, wonder if i could do it to the point of cutting the tatoes-then keeping them in cold water overnight then proceding with the rest in morning? maybe i will try it...looks scruptious with a light egg custard that we make it would really be good. thanks for sharing!.
birdwatcher said:
The recipe I have from living in Switzerland where this is popular in restaurants has you boil the potatoes the night before, and chill them overnight in the fridge. Then you skin them (the skin comes off easy) and they had us just use a grater to grate them instead of the mandolin and cutting.
Then they had us melt a bit of ham fat until liquid, and toss them in the ham fat and salt and pepper and form the round in a pan. They had us put like a tablespoon of water in the pan around the edge and put a top on and cook until crispy, and then flip and finish.
I can't figure out what to call ham fat in this country. It flavors the potatoes wonderfully. It might be easier to finish in the oven like this recipe says. I'm printing the swiss recipe below
250 grams ham fat
Pour out water and cool.
Peel and grate
Add 3 – 4 tsp water.
Brown 10 – 15 minutes.
Uncover and turn.
Uncover, salt and serve
Riki
Ham fat - lard
Rendered fat, particularly duck or chicken (but also pork or beef) is often called schmaltz, from the German and Yiddish. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schmaltz (Michael Ruhlman has just written a book via an apple app all about schmaltz)

birdwatcher said:
250 grams ham fat
Pour out water and cool.
Peel and grate
Add 3 – 4 tsp water.
Brown 10 – 15 minutes.
Uncover and turn.
Uncover, salt and serve
Riki
You could probably use bacon grease too.

birdwatcher said:
250 grams ham fat
Pour out water and cool.
Peel and grate
Add 3 – 4 tsp water.
Brown 10 – 15 minutes.
Uncover and turn.
Uncover, salt and serve
Riki
Breakfast Diva said:
That's what I have been told, but it does not work. Bacon grease burns, and is more greasy than ham fat. The ham fat is light and flavors the potato, but does not burn. It browns.
Riki

birdwatcher said:
250 grams ham fat
Pour out water and cool.
Peel and grate
Add 3 – 4 tsp water.
Brown 10 – 15 minutes.
Uncover and turn.
Uncover, salt and serve
Riki
Ham fat - lard
Rendered fat, particularly duck or chicken (but also pork or beef) is often called schmaltz, from the German and Yiddish. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schmaltz (Michael Ruhlman has just written a book via an apple app all about schmaltz)
Eric Arthur Blair said:
Ham fat - lard
I don't remember what it was called. I just went to the butcher in Switzerland and asked for ham fat. They knew what I wanted. I just don't know if we have it here in North America, since we don't have the same kind of butchers, if you can find a butcher at all.
Riki

birdwatcher said:
250 grams ham fat
Pour out water and cool.
Peel and grate
Add 3 – 4 tsp water.
Brown 10 – 15 minutes.
Uncover and turn.
Uncover, salt and serve
Riki
Ham fat - lard
Restaurant nearby called Duck Fat. I guess it sounds better than Schmaltz!
Their chefs are on one or another of those 'chefs do battle' shows, seems like every year. Apparently their fries are to die for.

Back