Have you heard?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, that just about takes care of any thought I had about purchasing one. Nope...will continue to make a pot of coffee rather than be forced to buy a product with no competition..
Silverspoon said:
Well, that just about takes care of any thought I had about purchasing one. Nope...will continue to make a pot of coffee rather than be forced to buy a product with no competition.
I'm with you SS, this whole coffee pod thing seems bonkers to me. Putting aside the whole environmental issue of the things, you're pretty much tied into buying the manufacturers coffee pods forever and the coffee costs around 4 times as much. It all seems like a marketing dream to me.
I have double walled cafetieres/french presses for my guests, everyone likes the coffee, they keep it nice and hot, and so far I've had no compatibility problems with any coffee I've bought.
Highlands John said:
Silverspoon said:
Well, that just about takes care of any thought I had about purchasing one. Nope...will continue to make a pot of coffee rather than be forced to buy a product with no competition.
I'm with you SS, this whole coffee pod thing seems bonkers to me. Putting aside the whole environmental issue of the things, you're pretty much tied into buying the manufacturers coffee pods forever and the coffee costs around 4 times as much. It all seems like a marketing dream to me.
I have double walled cafetieres/french presses for my guests, everyone likes the coffee, they keep it nice and hot, and so far I've had no compatibility problems with any coffee I've bought.
We have ours only for 'after hours' so guests can make a cup of coffee in the afternoon or evening. They also have an insert you can use with any coffee you want. Wash the insert and refill.
Yes, tho, the cups are expensive and environmentally awful. One reason we have not also bought the tea and hot cocoa pods.
(In the morning we remove the machine and replace it after breakfast. Which has led to a few guests looking blankly at the coffee carafes in front of them because they have 'machine' in their heads and they see 'carafe with coffee in it' but don't know what to do.)
We have it for flavoured and decaf. They hardly move at all. We have a number of the reusable pods that we use. It's the only ones that hold enough coffee for a real cup for us. Remember, we like our coffee stronger around here.
Nespresso is coming out with a machine for the US. http://reviews.cnet.com/espresso-cappuccino-machines/nespresso-vertuoline-red/4505-17878_7-35837779.html which will make a cup of coffee instead of an espresso. They usually have pretty good control over their coffee, so you have to buy from them (though there are a few compatibles.) But the big difference is that they use a lot of pressure to produce their espresso, and it's hermetically sealed, so it doesn't lose potency.It is going to be a really big battle.
We also have a regular nespresso machine. Makes espresso quickly while I'm in the kitchen alone, which is a big deal for us.
Oh, I love the Nespresso espresso maker! Had one in my room on an upscale beach vacation. I went home and looked for the same machine online and nearly had a heart attack. At that point it was about $600. Needless to say, I didn't buy one for myself.
At 19 bars of pressure it puts out a nice espresso. We have one of the fancier ones that does the milk too, but alas, I think their manual frother is actually better. (And I can get compatible cartridges if I want, but they have a nespresso store, locally anyway.)
But when you are juggling breakfast, it's great to just press a button and let it do it all on it's own. Of course I always end up with the idiots who don't know what they really want because they have been buying from the Pequod's first mate... so they say things like "double espresso" which always makes me wonder if what they really want is an "alloge" (an extended pull). Basically an espresso is 40ml and an alloge is 110ml of water through the same grounds. And they don't know either, they have just been taught to order and don't really know their coffee. It gets incredible akward when you have to ask them the strength of the coffee for their espresso. I have never had a European ask me for a double, yet. Which makes me think that they really want an alloge, but I'm never sure and of course I don't want to upset someone. The alloge in the house is about a 7, we stock coffee for espresso in 10 and 6 and 3 (so basically French roast to Medium roast to light roast).
And honestly, if it wasn't for the flavoured, I would get ride of the Keurig (and still might) since I can just make an espresso and then fill the cup with water and serve an Americano instead. I stock decaf espresso as well.

This is my story and I'm stickin' to it!
coffee%20brewin.jpg

i received TWO keurigs for christmas. one is still in the box. i am so cheap frugal, i use the fill your own kcups. i was going to give the other keurig away but i wonder if the keurig in the box will still work in a few years when the one i'm using decides it's worn out or develops a problem!

i received TWO keurigs for christmas. one is still in the box. i am so cheap frugal, i use the fill your own kcups. i was going to give the other keurig away but i wonder if the keurig in the box will still work in a few years when the one i'm using decides it's worn out or develops a problem!.
We had 3 Foreman grills for the longest time!

Today was the first time I really wished I had a Keurig. Afternoon refreshment request - one coffee, one decaf and one hot tea! Thank goodness for my Bunn... faster than a speeding bullet!

Back