haven't checked out yet, but re-booking for next year!

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
AND we got our first day-of cancellation Sunday. (yes, Sunday of Memorial Day when we are the only place in town that allows one night reservations.)
Hubby told the woman he had turned several people away and had to charge her for the room. No argument at all..
TheBeachHouse said:
AND we got our first day-of cancellation Sunday. (yes, Sunday of Memorial Day when we are the only place in town that allows one night reservations.)
Hubby told the woman he had turned several people away and had to charge her for the room. No argument at all.
Why in the world would you not have at least a 2 night minimum on a major holiday in your location?? You would still fill up in a heart beat! Sorry, I'm not trying to be rude, but you're making way more work and stress for yourself.
Breakfast Diva said:
TheBeachHouse said:
Hubby told the woman he had turned several people away and had to charge her for the room. No argument at all.
Why in the world would you not have at least a 2 night minimum on a major holiday in your location?? You would still fill up in a heart beat! Sorry, I'm not trying to be rude, but you're making way more work and stress for yourself.
We are just starting out. This past Memorial Day weekend, we had two full house checkouts. Lots of work, yes. But also, twice as many people enjoyed our inn and several said they would come back. Including two rooms that stayed on a whim having never visited the town before. We get more word of mouth with twice as many guests. For this first year, we are having a blast! Why piss people off when we don't have to?
trouble is - we had this, and you think its a good thing to be full and I am not saying it isn't, however they will always want 1 nights ie because they had it the first time, I had PO's of the pile them in variety and I have spent 4 years getting rid of all of their customers one at a time as I am not.
What your DH is not thinking of is the noise which will affect the other bedrooms when that lot come back from the wedding - those guests who are potentially your ideal guests will not be happy, then you will get a trip adviser about it which tells nice guests not to go to you because its loud and accepts lots of noisy young people - and tells those people, yes its fine to book there as they will take 10 to a room.
so it becomes a vicious cycle of not getting the guests you want and getting the ones you don't.

Hubby told the woman he had turned several people away and had to charge her for the room. No argument at all..
TheBeachHouse said:
Breakfast Diva said:
TheBeachHouse said:
We are just starting out. This past Memorial Day weekend, we had two full house checkouts. Lots of work, yes. But also, twice as many people enjoyed our inn and several said they would come back. Including two rooms that stayed on a whim having never visited the town before. We get more word of mouth with twice as many guests. For this first year, we are having a blast! Why piss people off when we don't have to?
TheBeachHouse said:
Breakfast Diva said:
TheBeachHouse said:
I hate to break it to you, but EVERYONE says they are coming back! If I had a nickle for everyone who said that, I would no longer be an innkeeper (and we have a large repeat business). Talk to me in a few years when your husband can barely stand up in the morning because his back is out from making all those beds, laundry, cleaning and doing everything for the guests. There are many of us here with decades of experience (I'm in year 14) that are trying to help you. Yes, every place is different, but at this point we have a good idea of your place and your guests. Please at least consider the help we're trying to give you because it seems that in your 1st year enthusiasm you're blinded by the fun you're having.

TheBeachHouse said:
Breakfast Diva said:
TheBeachHouse said:
TheBeachHouse said:
Breakfast Diva said:
TheBeachHouse said:
I hate to break it to you, but EVERYONE says they are coming back! If I had a nickle for everyone who said that, I would no longer be an innkeeper (and we have a large repeat business). Talk to me in a few years when your husband can barely stand up in the morning because his back is out from making all those beds, laundry, cleaning and doing everything for the guests. There are many of us here with decades of experience (I'm in year 14) that are trying to help you. Yes, every place is different, but at this point we have a good idea of your place and your guests. Please at least consider the help we're trying to give you because it seems that in your 1st year enthusiasm you're blinded by the fun you're having.
I sincerely listen to everything you-all say. I don't agree that I'm blind. AND I know people don't usually come back. LOL
I did not believe the musician who was flown in for one night to play at the local performance center who vowed to return. I don't expect him back. But it is nice to hear a guy who comes to our town frequently say he finally found a place he wants to stay in.
I come here every day because I WANT to hear the input. And honestly, I do appreciate it all. I hope you-all know that. I report on my conversations every evening to my hubby. We discuss the pros and cons and how they affect us.

TheBeachHouse said:
Breakfast Diva said:
TheBeachHouse said:
TheBeachHouse said:
Breakfast Diva said:
TheBeachHouse said:
I sincerely listen to everything you-all say. I don't agree that I'm blind. AND I know people don't usually come back. LOL
I did not believe the musician who was flown in for one night to play at the local performance center who vowed to return. I don't expect him back. But it is nice to hear a guy who comes to our town frequently say he finally found a place he wants to stay in.
I come here every day because I WANT to hear the input. And honestly, I do appreciate it all. I hope you-all know that. I report on my conversations every evening to my hubby. We discuss the pros and cons and how they affect us.
TheBeachHouse said:
heart.gif

Back