help for the soon to be newbie :)

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ease yourselves into it, you don't want to be fully booked day 1. You need organisation and processes in the background to make sure everything runs smooth so it looks effortless to the guests and those you'll develop as you get into the (endless) repetition. Once you don't have to think about these things you'll have much more time and brain capacity to be smiles and hospitable with guests.
There was a TV program in the UK earlier this year following people doing exactly what you're doing. On one program the commentator complained because they took 35 minutes to cook breakfast and the guests were getting fidgety (it was their first day). Every morning for a month after that when I plated up breakfasts for DH to take through to guests I said to him "No one has to wait 35 minutes at the xxxxxxx house", he got really fed up with me.
devil_smile.gif
Highlands John said:
There was a TV program in the UK earlier this year following people doing exactly what you're doing.
HJ - what is the name of the program? We may be able to access it on U tube.

Hi all-
My husband and I are in the process of gathering all the information and feedback possible as we wish to have our own inn. Between the two of us, we have 20+ years marketing experience, 15+ years event management, catering and F&B experience, management, promotions and brand management experience. Both of us have worked within hospitality and/or entertainment. I previously owned a bakery which provided catering to clients and currently work within the hospitality industry as an event director. Also, I am an artist and creative designer.... including floral design, events, and menu design.
We are wanting to find a great bnb or inn that we might be able to work with for a while to get some actual experience with running a bnb. Is this something that you would recommend?
An even better scenario would be to find that awesome inn where the current owners may be getting ready for retirement, but are willing to stay around a while to help with training and such. Maybe the option of a purchase at some point?
Some other questions revolve around health/dental/other insurance for ourselves, location, benefits of having an event space associated with the BnB, and other...
We ave been perusing the ads of the available inns on the market, as well as innkeeper couple jobs... We live in Texas currently, however, should an awesome opportunity arise, relocating has been discussed.
Any feedback is greatly appreciated. We love sharing new opportunities with folks, joining together for a great meal and learning about new things.
thanks everyone...
Paul and Jenn... looking for an INN!.
Jenn and Paul-
Think about taking an innkeeping class where you live. Check with the state innkeeping association to get info.
What you want is a hands on class, not a straight business class where you sit and listen while someone talks at you.
You also need the business side so you understand how to calculate the value of the properties you ultimately look at.
If there is an innkeeping convention you can go to, split up and take all the classes they offer then compare notes later.
Right now, make lists of your strengths and weaknesses. Who would be responsible for what? Who would be crabby all day if they were forced to do x? What do you need for personal space? Would you function well as a couple if your space was a single room in the building?

Ease yourselves into it, you don't want to be fully booked day 1. You need organisation and processes in the background to make sure everything runs smooth so it looks effortless to the guests and those you'll develop as you get into the (endless) repetition. Once you don't have to think about these things you'll have much more time and brain capacity to be smiles and hospitable with guests.
There was a TV program in the UK earlier this year following people doing exactly what you're doing. On one program the commentator complained because they took 35 minutes to cook breakfast and the guests were getting fidgety (it was their first day). Every morning for a month after that when I plated up breakfasts for DH to take through to guests I said to him "No one has to wait 35 minutes at the xxxxxxx house", he got really fed up with me.
devil_smile.gif
Highlands John said:
There was a TV program in the UK earlier this year following people doing exactly what you're doing.
Anon Inn said:
Highlands John said:
its was called "Our Dream Hotel" and made by Channel 5 over here. The hotel inspector, Alex Polizzi voiced it but didn't appear and there only seems to be 3 episodes so don't know if that means it was only a pilot or they'd didn't make more because it flopped.
http://www.channel5.com/show/our-dream-hotel/

devil_smile.gif
Highlands John said:
Anon Inn said:
Highlands John said:
its was called "Our Dream Hotel" and made by Channel 5 over here. The hotel inspector, Alex Polizzi voiced it but didn't appear and there only seems to be 3 episodes so don't know if that means it was only a pilot or they'd didn't make more because it flopped.
http://www.channel5.com/show/our-dream-hotel/
also B&B the best coveres a bit as well

Welcome, congratulations and best of luck!!
My first thought is that, since your place is brand new, you need excellent marketing.
List with your chamber of commerce, make sure you are on any tourist maps, have all your first guests leave reviews on Trip Adviser. (If you have family or friends stay with you, insist on a review.)
Send press releases to all the news outlets in your state and even Yankee Mag and other magazines that may highlight stories on trip planning, home renovation, entrepreneurs, your town, whatever might help.
Gotta get your name out there..
Thank you for your input and sorry for the delay in my reply. We are hoping to have our initial guest rooms up and running by early spring so have many renovations still underway. We have just gotten a website up and running and getting the tea Room part of the business going in the meantime until the guest rooms are ready. Would love any thoughts and feedback as we continue to build and customize the website. www.sereniteabedandbreakfast.com

Back