HELP! Non-smoking room smells horribly of smoke!!

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have had to use febreze on one room several times in the past 2 months. A lingering smell I can't track to the source.
Sitting here with the windows open in my apt and I can smell the febreze coming from the guest room. I hate that stuff but it seems to get rid of the bad smell..
I gave up using that stuff. It coats everything with some sort of sticky substance. it may get rid of odors but after a while the fabrics feel weird.

$250 cleaning fee as well as "lost income while room is being repaired and/or deep cleaned". We haven't had to enforce the lost income part but have charged the $250 on one occasion.

I have put vanilla in a small dish and placed it in a part of the room that it is not likely to get knocked over. The vanilla absorbs odors. We had a couple that smoked so heavily that even though they did not smoke in the room, it reeked. That was the final impetus to buy new drapes for that room! Washed all fabric items and put the vanilla in the closed-up room. Smoking charge would not have helped me as they did their smoking on the porch.

I have put vanilla in a small dish and placed it in a part of the room that it is not likely to get knocked over. The vanilla absorbs odors. We had a couple that smoked so heavily that even though they did not smoke in the room, it reeked. That was the final impetus to buy new drapes for that room! Washed all fabric items and put the vanilla in the closed-up room. Smoking charge would not have helped me as they did their smoking on the porch..
I had this last year. Two heavy smokers and the room just reeked. I made my property completely "smoke free". If they smoke, they have to do it curbside. They can no longer smoke out back, around the pool, lounging all day and then bringing that stench back in with them. They can no longer run out back to have a quick smoke before breakfast, then bring that nasty odor to the table for everyone else. I am a HORRIBLE ex smoker. I can smell it a block away.

I rarely get any smokers, and the ones I do get have nothing to say about going to the street to have one. They may grumble under their breath, but they knew before they got here that they can't smoke on the property. It is quite clear in all my policies and on my email confirmation. If you don't want to walk to the street for your cancer stick, then don't come here. Easy as that.
Edited to say : Dang, I am tired and grumpy today :)

Back