Holiday Weekends AND Full Moon

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We took off the 2 night min. We are pretty open for this weekend. Hate to think this is what the season will be like. Altho, a slow, steady season wouldn't bother me right now.
Glad you're getting the folks you want! We allow long time guests some slack so if they only need one night, we work with it. But not someone who's been here once in 7 years!.
This woman stands out to me pretty vividly because I remember when she contacted us in 2008 she made it sound like she'd been a super frequent guest of the PO's. So, young naive me went out of my way to make it a good stay, I don't think we dropped a minimum but we allowed a Saturday check-in or something else that she wanted to be an exception to. When I actually looked at PO's records that we had she'd only strayed with them once. I'm grateful for the group we have right now.
We fell for that a couple of times because we were honoring 'promises' the po's made. After the first year we knew why the po's sold so quickly after buying.
Morticia said:
We fell for that a couple of times because we were honoring 'promises' the po's made. After the first year we knew why the po's sold so quickly after buying.
Ha! stupid us actually honored a deposit made to the PO who kept it. We thought this would create repeat business and we took the loss. We lost. The guests were awful and we soon learned to trust our intuitions
Iris said:
Morticia said:
Ha! stupid us actually honored a deposit made to the PO who kept it. We thought this would create repeat business and we took the loss. We lost. The guests were awful and we soon learned to trust our intuitions
With us it was gift vouchers they gave out even tho they knew the place was sold. The voucher was actually won after we bought! We called them about it and they laughed. Said we could honor it or have our names be mud in the community as they had given them to a local fundraiser.
Never got any business from that but we didn't really lose out as it was winter.
We got a lot of 'I lost my gift certificate' calls and we asked for receipts on those. No one could find a receipt. Go figure. We said we'd take a marked up copy of a cc statement.

Sheesh, people are the same everywhere - nasty and unreasonable.
I have had similar things happen.
the other night, someone called and insisted that I did have an availability for that night when I didn't. She can't see 'tonight' on my calendar, she saw the availability for the next night, blah.
I swear that people think of the days they will be here and not the nights they will be staying when they book. If they want to come in late tonight and have a fun day tomorrow they get their dates mixed up and include tomorrow's date in their reservation inquiry, even though they will not be staying tomorrow night. That is why we always make our bookings with the dates for the nights they are staying but also include the number of nights and the departure date and day on their confirmation.
For those of you who use booking on line, you probably do not run into this since the whole process is automatic. But for small fries like us who still speak to every guest it is an important detail. Otherwise, I end up losing nights because some guests include their departure date in the inquiry for the nights they want to reserve. Oiy!

the other night, someone called and insisted that I did have an availability for that night when I didn't. She can't see 'tonight' on my calendar, she saw the availability for the next night, blah.
I swear that people think of the days they will be here and not the nights they will be staying when they book. If they want to come in late tonight and have a fun day tomorrow they get their dates mixed up and include tomorrow's date in their reservation inquiry, even though they will not be staying tomorrow night. That is why we always make our bookings with the dates for the nights they are staying but also include the number of nights and the departure date and day on their confirmation.
For those of you who use booking on line, you probably do not run into this since the whole process is automatic. But for small fries like us who still speak to every guest it is an important detail. Otherwise, I end up losing nights because some guests include their departure date in the inquiry for the nights they want to reserve. Oiy!
yes, "... arriving the afternoon of (day of week), (month) (date), staying X nights, and departing the morning of (day of week), (month) (date)."

Silverspoon said:
I never know if they mean to stay that last night or not. I always email back to clarify or ask how many nights they are staying if they're on the phone.
Our new confirmation lists the arr & dep dates and the number of nights. And, we reiterate that when they arrive, "I see you're with us for 3 nights..."

It is all in my Confirmation Letter I e-mail. Room, # in party, day/date of arrival and departing day/date at rate per night which includes (or Package name and list what is in the package). I recently screwed up on the days of week and the guest e-mailed to set me straight - I had the dates right but days wrong. They are delightful repeats so all is well.

Back