Hospitality & Travel Management Lodging Operations Certificate -- Helpful? Worth it?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a BS degree in Hospitality Management from the highly ranked UMass program, and a BS in Psychology... I seem to use my Psych degree more these days running the Inn!
sad_smile.gif
Fellow Umie!
Me too...BS in Chemistry with minor in Education. At that time they did not accept women into the School of Engineering!
But Momma and Beachie you are just kids. Our class all saved their beanies...class of '69, Knowlton. Our freshman year women still had curfews! We blazed quite a trail for you into the '70's :)
You sure did. When I was there, almost all the dorms were coed. Including the bathrooms.
We invented the co-ed bathroom. The guys were supposed to go down and use the second floor, while we gals had the third. Never happened. AND we just happened to have a ton of guys tall enough to easily peer over the shower stalls! Was all in fun though, we all got along well and there are several other couples who met on 3JFK that are still together today. Yes, Silverspoon, the 60s must have been an amazing experience there during those years. We get lots of UMass kids who love our early 70s stories, and can't believe many of them.

I have a BS degree in Hospitality Management from the highly ranked UMass program, and a BS in Psychology... I seem to use my Psych degree more these days running the Inn!
sad_smile.gif
Fellow Umie!
Me too...BS in Chemistry with minor in Education. At that time they did not accept women into the School of Engineering!
But Momma and Beachie you are just kids. Our class all saved their beanies...class of '69, Knowlton. Our freshman year women still had curfews! We blazed quite a trail for you into the '70's :)
You sure did. When I was there, almost all the dorms were coed. Including the bathrooms.
We invented the co-ed bathroom. The guys were supposed to go down and use the second floor, while we gals had the third. Never happened. AND we just happened to have a ton of guys tall enough to easily peer over the shower stalls! Was all in fun though, we all got along well and there are several other couples who met on 3JFK that are still together today. Yes, Silverspoon, the 60s must have been an amazing experience there during those years. We get lots of UMass kids who love our early 70s stories, and can't believe many of them.
There were pretty much no rules back then. Remember the Blue Wall?

sad_smile.gif
Fellow Umie!
Yes... drinking age turned 18 when we arrived. Blue Wall was always a haze of grassy smoke and the floors squished with beer. Spring 73 Concert in the stadium: the 4th back-up group to It's A Beautiful Day, was some guy named Springsteen
omg_smile.gif
! And little Ricky Pitino in his short shorts ran up and down the bouncy wood floors of the Cage playing point guard.
We could paint our dorm rooms a myriad of psychedelic colors and all of the doors had random artistry, if you didn't like the room door you inherited, you just switched it (along with the key) with someone else. I inherited Spider Man who ended up across the hall.
Ever go tunneling through the storm drains?

sad_smile.gif
Fellow Umie!
Yes... drinking age turned 18 when we arrived. Blue Wall was always a haze of grassy smoke and the floors squished with beer. Spring 73 Concert in the stadium: the 4th back-up group to It's A Beautiful Day, was some guy named Springsteen
omg_smile.gif
! And little Ricky Pitino in his short shorts ran up and down the bouncy wood floors of the Cage playing point guard.
We could paint our dorm rooms a myriad of psychedelic colors and all of the doors had random artistry, if you didn't like the room door you inherited, you just switched it (along with the key) with someone else. I inherited Spider Man who ended up across the hall.
Ever go tunneling through the storm drains?
No I never went through storm drains. Lol. My sister was the first female bouncer at the blue wall. Because she refused to wear the Danskin uniform the waitresses had to wear.
Its now a coffee shop.
I saw saw the great full dead at spring concert.

I went to help at a B&B for three months, assistant innkeeper quit and the head innkeeper ended up in the hospital.... I had worked one year at a retreat as a maid prior. I kept the place going by common sense, being honest with the guests on the situation, and lots of guessing.
I would try this.... http://www.innpartners.com/attend-a-seminar/ and/or this... https://bbteam.com/resources/need-and-want-ads/

Welcome! To be honest here. No amount of books and classroom settings will prepare you for the real world of being an Innkeeper. You would get more out of searching this site and diving in head first than you would get from a professor who thinks they know what they are talking about.

Welcome! To be honest here. No amount of books and classroom settings will prepare you for the real world of being an Innkeeper. You would get more out of searching this site and diving in head first than you would get from a professor who thinks they know what they are talking about..
Yep

Back