Hotel Impossible new season

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBloggs

Reaction score
New season began last night for Hotel Impossible. If you had a chance to watch, or future episodes please share your comments with us. (You can view some past episodes online here) and follow on FB here.
Yesterday there was a rerun on and something Anthony Melchiorri said made me pause. There was a bad guest who left a review at this lodge and Anthony basically said that he has had decades of bad guests and you can't reply in part to them on reviews online. It is that simple. It is what we want to do, but as professionals it is not what we should do. It only makes you look like the fool, not them. He said being right is not enough.
I then got this today and it speaks about customer POV and how a customer "perceives" their experience:
Design Your Customer Experience to be Frictionless

Frictionless. Something my experience with a certain unnamed company has not been. A typical call starts off with the first voice prompt asking me if I want to make a payment and then explaining how to do so. Then give my account number. Then wade thru more prompts making sure I really don't want to make a payment. Then the hold time. Up to 6 HOURS. (I have a speakerphone) Then, when I get someone having them ask me for my account number all over again. Or, routing me to the wrong office because I got snippy with them.
Or, like yesterday...4 minutes of voice prompts only to be told that the office closes at 5. You couldn't START with that?
OTOH, frictionless...called Constant Contact because one of my emails went out looking like crap. It didn't look like that when I wrote it and reviewed it (but it was my mistake). Customer service guy said, 'Send out another email saying your email service screwed up. Say it was all our fault." I said, 'You just threw yourself under the bus.' And he replied, 'I can take it.'

So, not sure which part of the post to reply to, but in a quick read, I think this is definitely one of those articles that would best be translated into our industry to be relevant in a meaningful way. There were several points that are too general, and without clarification, would be not so great advice.

So, not sure which part of the post to reply to, but in a quick read, I think this is definitely one of those articles that would best be translated into our industry to be relevant in a meaningful way. There were several points that are too general, and without clarification, would be not so great advice..
happykeeper said:
So, not sure which part of the post to reply to, but in a quick read, I think this is definitely one of those articles that would best be translated into our industry to be relevant in a meaningful way. There were several points that are too general, and without clarification, would be not so great advice.
That is correct there are no experts who actually write things that we find useful. Isn't that funny. Not funny ha ha, either.
whatchutalkingabout_smile.gif
There's your in, Haps. I remember when I first began the journey and read those "How to be an innkeeper" type books and looking back on them now they were so far off the mark. Mary White's is the best out there, the rest aren't worth the paper they are printed on.
I think the one point that made an impact in that H.I. episode I mentioned was that the owner who wrote the TA replies had zero hospitality training or experience and felt he could just wing it. So we have to be super careful. When one of our innmates comes on here in a rage over a negative review and spends days writing why the guest was a drop kick and how they need to set them straight...well we cannot reason with them, they are angry and hurt. But then they eventually simmer down and write something a little more stable.
No matter how awful the reviewer was we need to always approach with our hospitality hats on, we cannot set people straight, like this dude did on the show.
I since googled that show and the place in question said a pack of horrible things about the H.I. experience. It is interesting to watch though.
Rambling rose...signing off. Back to work. :)

So, not sure which part of the post to reply to, but in a quick read, I think this is definitely one of those articles that would best be translated into our industry to be relevant in a meaningful way. There were several points that are too general, and without clarification, would be not so great advice..
happykeeper said:
That is correct there are no experts who actually write things that we find useful. Isn't that funny. Not funny ha ha, either.
There's your in, Haps. I remember when I first began the journey and read those "How to be an innkeeper" type books and looking back on them now they were so far off the mark. Mary White's is the best out there, the rest aren't worth the paper they are printed on.
I think the one point that made an impact in that H.I. episode I mentioned was that the owner who wrote the TA replies had zero hospitality training or experience and felt he could just wing it. So we have to be super careful. When one of our innmates comes on here in a rage over a negative review and spends days writing why the guest was a drop kick and how they need to set them straight...well we cannot reason with them, they are angry and hurt. But then they eventually simmer down and write something a little more stable.
No matter how awful the reviewer was we need to always approach with our hospitality hats on, we cannot set people straight, like this dude did on the show.
I since googled that show and the place in question said a pack of horrible things about the H.I. experience. It is interesting to watch though.
Joey Bloggs said:
THAT is what to remember - I am going to put up a little sign to remember this for next time...

happykeeper said:
Joey Bloggs said:
Sometimes a -ve point calls into question the professionalism of the innkeep and then I absolutely will set them straight.

They must be close to the places you want to see. You can also fix your budget, and a range of first trying to find a suitable Nobu Sushi Fort Lauderdale hotel. Even if you plan to stay in hotel services, you must ensure that there is fair and reasonable. Many ways by which you can find the best hotel.

Back