Housekeeper bonus

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I might have missed the answer to this question, but how old is she?
Does she have to drive to work or does she walk?

As far as tips go, one of the places I worked put ALL tip money from rooms into an envelope and at the end of the month divvied up the money based on hours worked. But it was a larger staffed inn: laundry girl, kitchen help, housekeepers, and outdoor beautifier. It worked in that situation, but might not work in every one's.

and END OF SEASON bonus.
A TIP ENVELOPE is a great bonus.
thumbs_up.gif

I am happy for ours to show up, and she has a great attitude. Cleaning DEEP is not happening. I have a quilt I had to SHOUT out today, and spiderwebs and more. She has put two quilts on a bed, on top of a blanket. I could go on but I won't bore you. She shows up! THAT is half the battle!.
Joey Bloggs said:
and END OF SEASON bonus.
thumbs_up.gif

I am happy for ours to show up, and she has a great attitude. Cleaning DEEP is not happening. I have a quilt I had to SHOUT out today, and spiderwebs and more. She has put two quilts on a bed, on top of a blanket. I could go on but I won't bore you. She shows up! THAT is half the battle!
My hubby wanted to put out tip envelopes and I said they were tacky. Am I wrong? We don't see too many tips.
You are wrong. We bought a box of envelopes from the dollar store. We designed a nice front for them with the house logo. They say "For Housekeeping" and they are in each room. Some people leave nothing and some leave very nice tips. A few have handed us, as innkeepers, tips right to our hands or sometimes they have given us gifts.
When asked what the usual tip is, we say that we leave it up to the individual, but the standard is about $3 a day. Often guests will leave their "silver" which around here can easily be a few dollars.
We did, at one time, have to tell guests not to leave pennies, but that isn't a problem any more. Some guests didn't realize that leaving pennies in a tip has a meaning around here.
My mom works as a housekeeper still and was occasionally getting pennies, even from guests that she had nice conversations with and for those rooms she had worked hard on. She's a very detailed, thorough housekeeper! It made her curious though and she looked it up online. Apparently some people leave Housekeepers pennies as a way to say "sorry, can't afford a tip but thank you anyway!"
Anyone else heard of this? I know in restaurants, it's sort-of a slap in the face to leave a server a penny.
Doesn't matter if it's face up or face down around here, it's considered an insult, even if it's just part of the tip.

As far as tips go, one of the places I worked put ALL tip money from rooms into an envelope and at the end of the month divvied up the money based on hours worked. But it was a larger staffed inn: laundry girl, kitchen help, housekeepers, and outdoor beautifier. It worked in that situation, but might not work in every one's..
College kid, she drives.

and END OF SEASON bonus.
thumbs_up.gif

I am happy for ours to show up, and she has a great attitude. Cleaning DEEP is not happening. I have a quilt I had to SHOUT out today, and spiderwebs and more. She has put two quilts on a bed, on top of a blanket. I could go on but I won't bore you. She shows up! THAT is half the battle!.
Joey Bloggs said:
and END OF SEASON bonus.
thumbs_up.gif

I am happy for ours to show up, and she has a great attitude. Cleaning DEEP is not happening. I have a quilt I had to SHOUT out today, and spiderwebs and more. She has put two quilts on a bed, on top of a blanket. I could go on but I won't bore you. She shows up! THAT is half the battle!
My hubby wanted to put out tip envelopes and I said they were tacky. Am I wrong? We don't see too many tips.
You are wrong. We bought a box of envelopes from the dollar store. We designed a nice front for them with the house logo. They say "For Housekeeping" and they are in each room. Some people leave nothing and some leave very nice tips. A few have handed us, as innkeepers, tips right to our hands or sometimes they have given us gifts.
When asked what the usual tip is, we say that we leave it up to the individual, but the standard is about $3 a day. Often guests will leave their "silver" which around here can easily be a few dollars.
We did, at one time, have to tell guests not to leave pennies, but that isn't a problem any more. Some guests didn't realize that leaving pennies in a tip has a meaning around here.
My mom works as a housekeeper still and was occasionally getting pennies, even from guests that she had nice conversations with and for those rooms she had worked hard on. She's a very detailed, thorough housekeeper! It made her curious though and she looked it up online. Apparently some people leave Housekeepers pennies as a way to say "sorry, can't afford a tip but thank you anyway!"
Anyone else heard of this? I know in restaurants, it's sort-of a slap in the face to leave a server a penny.
From my years in the restaurant business, a penny heads up is a thank you for great service. heads down the other. don't know if it's still the case or not.
Riki
Face up or face down, if it's sitting on top of a $20 that's a heck of a big difference than just a penny left behind.

I am not the one for experienced advice but:
Consider offering a end of the month bonus for doing things you feel they are going above and beyond the norm. This will be an incentive rather than a given such as a raise..
Copperhead said:
I am not the one for experienced advice but:
Consider offering a end of the month bonus for doing things you feel they are going above and beyond the norm. This will be an incentive rather than a given such as a raise.
Above and beyond.
Now if they did that the answer would be easy!
Incentive to show up, incentive to do the job. It is a pretty bad place we live in if we have to do this, bonus for showing up. But it is nothing new under the sun, a hired person will never do the job of someone with skin in the game.

There is only ONE BONUS a housekeeper would love, MONEY. Being nice, giving her/him things is all well and good, show me the money! They need it, give them money.
Everything else is just nice. Perks.

There is only ONE BONUS a housekeeper would love, MONEY. Being nice, giving her/him things is all well and good, show me the money! They need it, give them money.
Everything else is just nice. Perks..
Reminds me of my parents, who used to have Thursdays as pay day... and then wonder why Friday was the day with the highest absentee level. I moved pay day to Friday.
The problem with cash is that it doesn't feel like "something" you got for free, it's just more cash in your wallet. But it's also the thought that counts... http://blogs.hbr.org/2013/03/forget-about-that-cash-bonus/

and END OF SEASON bonus.
thumbs_up.gif

Joey Bloggs said:
and END OF SEASON bonus.
thumbs_up.gif

"Sorry, can't afford a tip" is BS. What's a tip for housekeeping? $2? If you're that broke go camping.
It's an insult is what it is.
Madeleine said:
"Sorry, can't afford a tip" is BS. What's a tip for housekeeping? $2? If you're that broke go camping.
It's an insult is what it is.
We know, and I will say it again, like a broken record. It is the hard working people who leave the biggest tips, every time. Those who have a credit limit up the wazzo and drive hundred thousand dollar vehicles will leave nothing, or $2.
Had it happen this weekend, again. A one nighter left $20, working class people, and the rich and famous who reviewed places in Malibu among others, left nada. Oh but they left a mess. Does that count? The working class people made their bed and left the room super tidy.
Then, the housekeeper said when she saw the other people didn't leave a tip, and that our youngest helped with the room "I will split my other tip with her, that is only fair"
See what I mean! That is awesome.
In other news, she asked if she could bring hubby by as he was off, I said of course. She showed him around, pride. I was super pleased.

Reminds me of my parents, who used to have Thursdays as pay day... and then wonder why Friday was the day with the highest absentee level. I moved pay day to Friday.
The problem with cash is that it doesn't feel like "something" you got for free, it's just more cash in your wallet. But it's also the thought that counts... http://blogs.hbr.org/2013/03/forget-about-that-cash-bonus/
Jon Sable said:
Its the difference between having the power cut off or passing inspection on your car buying new tires. For chambermaids, cash is best.

Jon Sable said:
Its the difference between having the power cut off or passing inspection on your car buying new tires. For chambermaids, cash is best.
When they get random amounts as tips, I don't think they really appreciate the cash. The tip envelope is Las Vegas. But that's my opinion.

and END OF SEASON bonus.
thumbs_up.gif

Joey Bloggs said:
and END OF SEASON bonus.
thumbs_up.gif

sorry, I spent so much on my room, wine, dinner and show, beach access and flight, I can't afford a tip. BS

Dang. Gift cards don't count?

Dang. Gift cards don't count?
Honestly, I think they do, but not if they are run of the mill for stuff they would normally buy. So a gift card for gas or groceries might not. But for an indulgence they should. (And I already showed you where to get gift cards for a discount, so they have more bang for the buck.)

I would recommend that you write her a really nice note telling her how much you appreciate what she's done so far, and then give her a gift card for gas, groceries, ITunes, or the movies.

As far as tips go, one of the places I worked put ALL tip money from rooms into an envelope and at the end of the month divvied up the money based on hours worked. But it was a larger staffed inn: laundry girl, kitchen help, housekeepers, and outdoor beautifier. It worked in that situation, but might not work in every one's..
College kid, she drives.
I vote gas card. Massage etc might be nice but maybe she # 1 - does not have time to use it #2 - is one who does NOT LIKE a massage (surprise but some people do not). Cash will get mixed in with tip money and fo who knows where, but when she goes to the gas station with that card, it will feel great to keep her wallet in her pocket. She will remember she got a bonus.

College kid, she drives.
I vote gas card. Massage etc might be nice but maybe she # 1 - does not have time to use it #2 - is one who does NOT LIKE a massage (surprise but some people do not). Cash will get mixed in with tip money and fo who knows where, but when she goes to the gas station with that card, it will feel great to keep her wallet in her pocket. She will remember she got a bonus.
Great idea - gas prices are killing everyone. When I went out tonight I cringed when my gas tank warning light beeped at me - another $75 out the window. I'm sure it's even worse for someone only making housekeeper wages.

College kid, she drives.
Great idea - gas prices are killing everyone. When I went out tonight I cringed when my gas tank warning light beeped at me - another $75 out the window. I'm sure it's even worse for someone only making housekeeper wages.
MtnKeeper said:
I almost agreed with this then gave it some thought over breakfast... I made $1.10/hour while working summers in college. I was paying $1/gallon for gas. My car got 15 miles/gallon.
Housekeeper is making $11/ hour + tips. Paying $3.80/gal for gas. Driving a car that gets 25 miles/gal.
Who had it worse? ;-)

College kid, she drives.
MtnKeeper said:
I almost agreed with this then gave it some thought over breakfast... I made $1.10/hour while working summers in college. I was paying $1/gallon for gas. My car got 15 miles/gallon.
Housekeeper is making $11/ hour + tips. Paying $3.80/gal for gas. Driving a car that gets 25 miles/gal.
Who had it worse? ;-)
Madeleine said:
MtnKeeper said:
Who had it worse? ;-)
Was you tuition the same price as hers? Also the tax rate on $1.10 per hour was less than the bite on the $11. One has to look at the whole picture to compare - rent, food costs, insurance costs.. I love it when I get a gas gift card.

College kid, she drives.
MtnKeeper said:
Who had it worse? ;-)
Madeleine said:
MtnKeeper said:
Who had it worse? ;-)
Was you tuition the same price as hers? Also the tax rate on $1.10 per hour was less than the bite on the $11. One has to look at the whole picture to compare - rent, food costs, insurance costs.. I love it when I get a gas gift card.
Wasn't planning on going thru the whole thing because we were just talking about the price of gas and how it's so much worse now relative to what someone earns. But it really isn't worse now relative to what someone earns. And what kind of mileage a car gets.

Back