How do you deal with tax exempt?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I meant Church/Non Profit Org..
I have had a couple of those over the years - non-profits that is as I do not charge the churches in town. They have always given me a certificate of non-profit for me to copy and put in my files if I need it as proof.
gillumhouse said:
They have always given me a certificate of non-profit for me to copy and put in my files if I need it as proof.
Where I live, lots of non-profits are subject to sales tax. It's a certificate from the state declaring them tax-exempt that matters. Of course, this only comes into play if the state sales tax folks audit you, but if they do, you better have a copy of that tax exempt certificate, not a non-profit corp. certificate.
Tax Dept certificate is what I was talking about. Nothing else counts - anyone can make a corp certificate.

We occasionally get Fed. Tax Exempt employees here. They all provide me with a form, provided by the gov. agency, that includes their name and exempt #.
Most state agencies here are not tax exempt. Exemption of state agencies do not travel across state lines.
Tax Exemption for Fed. employees are only for business travel.
Ministers are not exempt from paying taxes, but if the CHURCH pays for the stay - church issued card or check, it can choose to pay or not pay taxes.

We occasionally get Fed. Tax Exempt employees here. They all provide me with a form, provided by the gov. agency, that includes their name and exempt #.
Most state agencies here are not tax exempt. Exemption of state agencies do not travel across state lines.
Tax Exemption for Fed. employees are only for business travel.
Ministers are not exempt from paying taxes, but if the CHURCH pays for the stay - church issued card or check, it can choose to pay or not pay taxes..
copperhead said:
Ministers are not exempt from paying taxes, but if the CHURCH pays for the stay - church issued card or check, it can choose to pay or not pay taxes.
That is what I mean. That is what I am saying, when they hire someone to visit as a guest speaker or whatever event and pay for the room.
Not a minister as a profession who happens to be on vacation or takes his wife to an inn for the weekend on an anniversary.

You can go to the website for your State for whatever entity covers tax revenue and you can find the guidelines. Most guests who were tax exempt phoned me to let me know so that they would have the amount if they had to get a check for their stay from whomever. We had several State-wide conferences here for either City or State officials, who are exempt. Some guests were exempt from the State sales tax and some local taxes, but not hotel/motel tax. It can be complicated, which is why it's up to the guest to supply you with the proper forms.
In my State, they must have the tax exempt form filled out & signed to give to you so that you can keep a copy in the event of showing proof to the taxing authorities. You should definitely keep the forms on file.
My reservation software allowed me to entered tax exempt stays and make notes about the particulars.
It took quite awhile before the State university here figured out that they were tax exempt for their "hotel" stays. I just collected and paid the taxes as required unless someone had the forms to tell me that they were exempt. The onus is certainly on them, not you.

In the UK - they pay me full wack then can claim the VAT (Value Added Tax) which is 20% back - however we only have to put out special VAT number on the bill - after that its their problem (its printed on their receipt)
Some do ask for me to work it out - I have a vat calculator on my computer so I put in the gross price and it works out the VAT.

Back