How does wasting my time endear me to your product?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We had so many robo calls and marketers this winter on our 800 number. Even in the middle of the night! Grrrr. After reading instructions from our phone book, after each call if I hung up for a few seconds to disconnect them and then picked up the receiver to get a dial tone, and then punched in #01# and hung up, that number would be blocked for 30 days. Had to do that lots over the winter but have not had any calls for the last couple of months. Don't know if other phone companies offer this but worth checking out the phone book. I think there is always a way to block calls weather 800 numbers or personal numbers. Just a thought.! Still being the luddite that I am I was unable to log in for a few months.. Finally got the daughter-in-law to help the luddite. You might wish I was still a luddite!!!.
What phone company uses that code to block calls? Curious as we had those 800# calls constantly.
Ours is *60#01# to the same thing.

We had so many robo calls and marketers this winter on our 800 number. Even in the middle of the night! Grrrr. After reading instructions from our phone book, after each call if I hung up for a few seconds to disconnect them and then picked up the receiver to get a dial tone, and then punched in #01# and hung up, that number would be blocked for 30 days. Had to do that lots over the winter but have not had any calls for the last couple of months. Don't know if other phone companies offer this but worth checking out the phone book. I think there is always a way to block calls weather 800 numbers or personal numbers. Just a thought.! Still being the luddite that I am I was unable to log in for a few months.. Finally got the daughter-in-law to help the luddite. You might wish I was still a luddite!!!.
charlie may said:
We had so many robo calls and marketers this winter on our 800 number. Even in the middle of the night! Grrrr. After reading instructions from our phone book, after each call if I hung up for a few seconds to disconnect them and then picked up the receiver to get a dial tone, and then punched in #01# and hung up, that number would be blocked for 30 days. Had to do that lots over the winter but have not had any calls for the last couple of months. Don't know if other phone companies offer this but worth checking out the phone book. I think there is always a way to block calls weather 800 numbers or personal numbers. Just a thought.! Still being the luddite that I am I was unable to log in for a few months.. Finally got the daughter-in-law to help the luddite. You might wish I was still a luddite!!!
What's a phone book????
Seriously, get rid of the 800 number. Every innkeeper I know has the same problem with theirs, as I once did. I got rid of mine about 3 years ago. No negatives and I get to sleep through the night. We have to keep our phone active over night because of lack of cell service...it's the only way our guests or their families can call us in case of an emergency

charlie may said:
robo calls
Ha-Ha. Love it.
I get these all the time, the Scottish Government is offering grants to people to upgrade their windows and boilers to more energy efficient ones. Every day I get the robo calls "We are calling to let you know... blah blah blah, press 2 if interested, press 9 to be taken off the list".
I used to press 9, they still keep coming.
Then I started pressing 2 and when they called back I told them to take me off the list and stop calling because this is a TPS registered number.
I still press 2 every time, they've just given up calling me back. Ha.

Thank god that in my line of work it isn't telemarking that interrupts my day (the people trying to sell to me are overseas) it unfortunate is a combination of Spam and unsolicited green coffee samples. I simply throw the samples into the trash and email the exporter a "not so nice" email asking them to stop. Works pretty well most of the time. BTW chicken for lunch sounds great :)

The harpist sent me all her information, working on a youtube thing and has no website, so an email full of contact info and references. I asked her to share our info on her facebook page and recommend us. THEN I will share her info, I am sure it won't happen.
The hands keep grabbing...

The harpist sent me all her information, working on a youtube thing and has no website, so an email full of contact info and references. I asked her to share our info on her facebook page and recommend us. THEN I will share her info, I am sure it won't happen.
The hands keep grabbing....
Yup, no matter where you turn, they're grabbing. I was asked to comment on an issue in our community by an online local news source. They did use it. Now guess what, they want me to advertise on their news blog...only $50 a month. Yeah....sure.....

I am answering the phone this afternoon. On the fourth waste of my time I get:
A young man just called from a local company to say they offer "social media and web development." I asked him if he has seen our social media marketing online? Uh no. So you are offering me something you know nothing about? Uh no, we are calling from a list from the chamber.
I said "Buddy if you want to make any sales you may consider GOOGLING the business first and then you can discuss their needs."
I am sure he won't take my advice. Why would WE have social media marketing, a B&B? doh. I am here all week, don't forget to tip your waitress!

A young man just called from a local company to say they offer "social media and web development." I asked him if he has seen our social media marketing online? Uh no. So you are offering me something you know nothing about? Uh no, we are calling from a list from the chamber.
I said "Buddy if you want to make any sales you may consider GOOGLING the business first and then you can discuss their needs."
I am sure he won't take my advice. Why would WE have social media marketing, a B&B? doh. I am here all week, don't forget to tip your waitress!.
I get letters all the time from a company called United Kapital offering to lend my business money.
They send so many that I used to put them in the bin, but I'm so fed up with them that now I keep them.
One day I'm going to put "Unknown at this address - return to sender" stickers on them and every time I past the post box I'll send one back.
I currently have 10.

I am sure he won't take my advice. Why would WE have social media marketing, a B&B? doh. I am here all week, don't forget to tip your waitress!.
I get letters all the time from a company called United Kapital offering to lend my business money.
They send so many that I used to put them in the bin, but I'm so fed up with them that now I keep them.
One day I'm going to put "Unknown at this address - return to sender" stickers on them and every time I past the post box I'll send one back.
I currently have 10.
We have done that with the pre-addressed envelopes that are postage paid. Only we send Company Y Company B's blank forms and give Company J the stuff from Company Y, etc

Back