How important is location?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, it was great to read some of the gems in the various replies. While we may say things differently or take different questions to mean different things, I was struck by the similarities of the way many of us think that have led to success. Some of those gems......
  • So we fashion our inn to attract those type of people.
  • Customer service is the selling point for me!
  • do what we do best, but do less of it"
  • We are in an area where luxury lodging with scenic views and personal attention is very limited at our price point.
  • Location alone is NOT enough to make a sustainable business in the hospitality realm.
  • I'm pretty sure I'd press to excel even if I had people lined up for a room regardless
  • Isn't it about the overall "value proposition?" Location and price are two components, but not the only components
  • I've really been working hard to establish solid partnering
  • But I also refuse to compete.
You can take my word on it that the place we stayed has location. Service? Not so much. Food? We do better. Marketing? They have a website and belong to a couple of directories. Cross promotion? They have a list of things to do and will show you how to get there.
For them, location is everything. If they were 2 blocks over they'd have to work harder but they still might not break a sweat.
They have a lifestyle to envy. Prime location, walk to everything, family nearby, time to belong to community organizations, volunteer at school & scouts.
But stay there again? Nope. For that kind of money I expect a lot more innovation in the food, better housekeeping, upscale amenities, more style in the decorating, etc.
Mort- you've hit on something that has been lurking in the back of my mind, up to now, without focus.
it seems we all have this price-point comparison thing in our heads. We all have an idea of what we expect at a certain price and location. I recently read scads of reviews with variations of: 'expected more at this price' or 'exceeded my expectations at this price'.
This past summer we had more guests than ever before. I was just getting a bit on the pride side about number of bookings and happy reviews, then realized after our trip that there are darned few B&Bs out there in our general area at our price point. One lesson, we're not so special after all - just less expensive!
First reaction - definitely raise prices!
Second reaction - yes raise prices but also figure out what else is setting us apart - and put more focus-and marketing - on that.
Although we all have that mental list of what we expect for price paid - the trick is to know in general what the commonality is amongst travelers regarding what is on that list - then determine how your place can best meet or beat those expectations.
perhaps longevity in business helps reveal those things. Since our 'wow' factor is most often about the food, I find myself spending more time on that aspect.
After our recent trip, I've made a few changes to other things too. We now have a dedicated room for B&B supplies. Previous to just a few weeks ago, various supplies were kept in five different places, sheets, towels, amenities, ironing - all in different rooms. Now most everything is in one room. Hopefully this will lessen the exhaustion factor and fre up more energy for service - where we also typically get high marks.
I can hardly wait to post before and after pictures of our smallest room - and what we're going to do about that - but I have to get it done first! The changes will contribute to the price rise - and also the value aspect for that room.
This post is too long and somewhat unfocused so I'll stop now!
Anon Inn said:
it seems we all have this price-point comparison thing in our heads. We all have an idea of what we expect at a certain price and location. I recently read scads of reviews with variations of: 'expected more at this price' or 'exceeded my expectations at this price'.
Just a slightly different spin on this from a, "be a big fish in a small pond" way of thinking. A compelling value proposition can help remove your inn from the pack. We rarely see these comments in our reviews and I think that is because we offer a compelling reason to stay with us and than we deliver the associated value.
Now I have to stop before I confuse myself anymore about what I'm trying to say.

Well, it was great to read some of the gems in the various replies. While we may say things differently or take different questions to mean different things, I was struck by the similarities of the way many of us think that have led to success. Some of those gems......
  • We are in an area where luxury lodging with scenic views and personal attention is very limited at our price point.
  • Location alone is NOT enough to make a sustainable business in the hospitality realm.
  • I'm pretty sure I'd press to excel even if I had people lined up for a room regardless
  • Isn't it about the overall "value proposition?" Location and price are two components, but not the only components
You can take my word on it that the place we stayed has location. Service? Not so much. Food? We do better. Marketing? They have a website and belong to a couple of directories. Cross promotion? They have a list of things to do and will show you how to get there.
For them, location is everything. If they were 2 blocks over they'd have to work harder but they still might not break a sweat.
They have a lifestyle to envy. Prime location, walk to everything, family nearby, time to belong to community organizations, volunteer at school & scouts.
But stay there again? Nope. For that kind of money I expect a lot more innovation in the food, better housekeeping, upscale amenities, more style in the decorating, etc.
Mort- you've hit on something that has been lurking in the back of my mind, up to now, without focus.
This past summer we had more guests than ever before. I was just getting a bit on the pride side about number of bookings and happy reviews, then realized after our trip that there are darned few B&Bs out there in our general area at our price point. One lesson, we're not so special after all - just less expensive!
Second reaction - yes raise prices but also figure out what else is setting us apart - and put more focus-and marketing - on that.
Although we all have that mental list of what we expect for price paid - the trick is to know in general what the commonality is amongst travelers regarding what is on that list - then determine how your place can best meet or beat those expectations.
perhaps longevity in business helps reveal those things. Since our 'wow' factor is most often about the food, I find myself spending more time on that aspect.
After our recent trip, I've made a few changes to other things too. We now have a dedicated room for B&B supplies. Previous to just a few weeks ago, various supplies were kept in five different places, sheets, towels, amenities, ironing - all in different rooms. Now most everything is in one room. Hopefully this will lessen the exhaustion factor and fre up more energy for service - where we also typically get high marks.
I can hardly wait to post before and after pictures of our smallest room - and what we're going to do about that - but I have to get it done first! The changes will contribute to the price rise - and also the value aspect for that room.
I think travel to other places opens our eyes to a lot of things. How something we thought was not quite good enough, someone else thinks is way over the top!
I based my expectations on what I see in my town at a price point under what I paid - individual coffee machines in each room, bathrobes in every room, locally grown amenities, 3 course breakfast that is beyond what we do (we're more diner-type food), or cooked to order breakfast.
Plus I 'know' around 30 innkeepers here who are constantly checking and upping their game.
That was the point of my original question - if you have a prime location can you let that do most of the work for you?

I think travel to other places opens our eyes to a lot of things. How something we thought was not quite good enough, someone else thinks is way over the top!
I based my expectations on what I see in my town at a price point under what I paid - individual coffee machines in each room, bathrobes in every room, locally grown amenities, 3 course breakfast that is beyond what we do (we're more diner-type food), or cooked to order breakfast.
Plus I 'know' around 30 innkeepers here who are constantly checking and upping their game.
That was the point of my original question - if you have a prime location can you let that do most of the work for you?
Some people will... but it's a recipe for disaster.
We have a few hotels in town. The owners decided that their hotel was a cash cow, so they put nothing back into the hotel. Now those hotels were sold at bottom dollar to become University dorms. Too expensive to fix into modern hotel rooms.

I have said it before and will say it again, in the south you can fry a turd and people will eat it.
The same goes for location.
(Confused? Trying to figure that statement out, good my job is done here)

I have another analogy for those who didn't get my last one...
A singer songwriter said to me that those who don't have an incredible voice have to work harder at writing better songs.
Example: Neil Young.

Back