How Long Until I Am Jaded?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, hope I keep the enthusiasm and desire to make for a perfect stay. I can't imagine I will ever stop wanting the place to look its best when they arrive.
I checked an apartment yesterday after the cleaning lady left, making sure it was ready for an arrival today. She left the toilet seat up! And a bottle of Windex was sitting in the middle of the bedroom floor! This won't do. Must create a checklist and insist she really check certain things in each room before leaving.
But I'll still want to check it myself, even if she starts doing it all right!.
Arkansawyer said:
Yes, hope I keep the enthusiasm and desire to make for a perfect stay. I can't imagine I will ever stop wanting the place to look its best when they arrive.
I checked an apartment yesterday after the cleaning lady left, making sure it was ready for an arrival today. She left the toilet seat up! And a bottle of Windex was sitting in the middle of the bedroom floor! This won't do. Must create a checklist and insist she really check certain things in each room before leaving.
But I'll still want to check it myself, even if she starts doing it all right!
I hope you can get yours to follow the checklist. Mine insists she is so why I am finding unvacuumed floors, shades drawn and lights not working? Sigh. Another summer temp.
Madeleine said:
I hope you can get yours to follow the checklist. Mine insists she is so why I am finding unvacuumed floors, shades drawn and lights not working? Sigh. Another summer temp.
I sometimes wonder whether ours can even read. They looked at the checklist, and then put it aside....

But I'll still want to check it myself, even if she starts doing it all right!.
I checked an apartment yesterday after the cleaning lady left, making sure it was ready for an arrival today. She left the toilet seat up! And a bottle of Windex was sitting in the middle of the bedroom floor!
I find myself in that same category. You think a bottle of Windex is bad? I've left a floor steamer in my all tile shower twice in the last 6 weeks. That's after I check and recheck the rooms. There is a saying "Why can't an old woman have a baby? - Because she'd forget where she put it!"
I was showing the new GM of the HGI around here one day and we went into one room that we had completely forgotten to clean. I said, 'Thank goodness I'm showing you around before the guests get here! How embarrassing would this be???'
We've left the vacuum cleaner in the room as well.
If I see something left behind when doing a check-in I say, 'Well, THAT'S where that got off to!'

Speaking of road trips...
Oh you weren't?
Come on fresh face, get on the innteractive inns blog... you know my email address. Send it on over. I KNOW you are a great road trip from a nearby big city...

after 12 years I still get excited...and nervous! Can I suggest you don't google their address or them before hand? It sets up expectations and stereotypes that can drive you nuts. If you have to, look them up after they've left. The only time I do it is if they're a PITA or have that 'holier than thou attitude'. Last one was a couple weeks ago AFTER they left. They bought their house for 1.5 million and he was a physician/psychiatrist. Yup...then it made perfect sense to me. Those are the worst!
Oh yeah, and they had the cheapest, smallest, least amenity room...go figure!
Still, I'm not jaded after all this time. Sometimes disappointed, angry, hurt, euphoric, excited, thrilled. And all of those emotions in just a couple hours!
It makes me smile to see your enthusiasm!

In 17th year and I still YIPEE when taking a rez.. We still look forward to the arrival.of guests.

Online reservations are like prezzies under the tree from Santee Clauz! Wake up and voila there they are waiting for you...
thumbs_up.gif

OK, so tell me how long before I stop notifying every family member and close friend every time a reservation comes in?
Just got a woman from Denver coming in for 3 nights next week! In town to do training for the local hospital. Says she's here once a year and she usually drives daily to the city 45 minutes from here (population 70,000, ten times our size) that has a B&B, but she was so happy to run across me on TA!!!
Glad she checked! I've only been on TA for a couple of weeks! Have only one review, but it's glowing. THANKS, INNKEEP!

Sooooo Happy for you Arkie. Glad you are enjoying your new venture and hope that joy continues for as long as you wish to keep doing what you are doing!
No lies here - there are ups and downs after 15 yrs but overall I still am excited when guests arrive and I too love to see excitement in THEIR eyes when I show them around. The ones that say 'your website does not do justice' is just what I want to hear as well. IMHO you want to exceed their expectations and that is one way to do so. Of course being too humble on your site doesn't get them to your door for the judgement!
Keep that enthusiasm, it makes for a great innkeeper!

OK, so tell me how long before I stop notifying every family member and close friend every time a reservation comes in?
Just got a woman from Denver coming in for 3 nights next week! In town to do training for the local hospital. Says she's here once a year and she usually drives daily to the city 45 minutes from here (population 70,000, ten times our size) that has a B&B, but she was so happy to run across me on TA!!!
Glad she checked! I've only been on TA for a couple of weeks! Have only one review, but it's glowing. THANKS, INNKEEP!.
Its all about getting the first one = I don't think members of the public really understand how to put on new properties as its a bit of a faff so they just let it go. Once you are on it will be easier to get more reviews

I never researched the guests beforehand...no time. But, if they were interesting to talk to and revealed an interesting occupation after staying here, I would look into them then. :)
When you get busier, I imagine you'll stop being so excited over every single reservation.
If you are a perfectionist, you'll never stop obsessing over the details!

Back