How much is TOO much?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The problem is manyfold. Are these people going to come back to you, or look for you to put up another deal on that website. They buy them with certain expectations and dates and don't think about the fact that others have the same idea and of course same expectations.
My question is... if you are so willing to get 35c on the dollar, why aren't you advertising using part of that money. If you sell a $200 room for $100, these sites pay your $50 to $65. Seems to me you can sell the room for $100, use $25 to advertise it and still make more money. Sure they have a giant list that they market to... but there are other giant lists out there, some you can buy into. Some places you can spend the money and get the impact.
My winter guests are different than my summer guests and obviously the summer guests are more profitable. The winter guests drink more tea, linger longer and pay less. But not too much less, or what you end with, isn't pretty..
Eric Arthur Blair said:
... Sure they have a giant list that they market to... but there are other giant lists out there, some you can buy into. Some places you can spend the money and get the impact.
My winter guests are different than my summer guests and obviously the summer guests are more profitable. The winter guests drink more tea, linger longer and pay less. But not too much less, or what you end with, isn't pretty.
If you are a member of your Chamber of Commerce or your CVB or any other travel group, they provide email leads. They are "free" with your annual dues. All you have to do is look for them. Then you, Constant Contact and your computer can send out advertisements
IrisoftheWayfarer said:
Eric Arthur Blair said:
... Sure they have a giant list that they market to... but there are other giant lists out there, some you can buy into. Some places you can spend the money and get the impact.
My winter guests are different than my summer guests and obviously the summer guests are more profitable. The winter guests drink more tea, linger longer and pay less. But not too much less, or what you end with, isn't pretty.
If you are a member of your Chamber of Commerce or your CVB or any other travel group, they provide email leads. They are "free" with your annual dues. All you have to do is look for them. Then you, Constant Contact and your computer can send out advertisements
If you read the CC terms of service you CANNOT use group lists obtained by other organizations. Absolutely not. I tried to use one and I had to verify that I had buy-in from every person on the list. ME, not the Chamber. They asked me where I got the list and I told them from the Chamber and CC said the Chamber could use that list but I could not.
You could certainly use it personally to send emails, but not thru CC.
If you get a certain % of your outgoing emails marked as spam they suspend your account. And it's a really small %.
Other emailers may not have the same rules.

The problem is manyfold. Are these people going to come back to you, or look for you to put up another deal on that website. They buy them with certain expectations and dates and don't think about the fact that others have the same idea and of course same expectations.
My question is... if you are so willing to get 35c on the dollar, why aren't you advertising using part of that money. If you sell a $200 room for $100, these sites pay your $50 to $65. Seems to me you can sell the room for $100, use $25 to advertise it and still make more money. Sure they have a giant list that they market to... but there are other giant lists out there, some you can buy into. Some places you can spend the money and get the impact.
My winter guests are different than my summer guests and obviously the summer guests are more profitable. The winter guests drink more tea, linger longer and pay less. But not too much less, or what you end with, isn't pretty..
Eric Arthur Blair said:
IrisoftheWayfarer said:
Our privacy laws make this almost impossible. The law stipulates that information can only be used in the way that the person providing the information expects it to be used. In other words, I can't email a guest a newsletter unless they opt-in. And they would have had to have given the Chamber of Commerce explicit or implied permission for them to give me the address. It certainly has ended my cable company selling my name, address and phone number to everyone for a dime.

Yes, the people that inquire and want information about the area, leave their email addresses in order to get info from lodging. I can even see what exactly they have been searching. So, if someone want the chain lodging, I. Am going to send them something, if they are looking at places with something I just don't have, I don't . After all, I don't want to jam heir mailboxes with things I don't think they are interested in.
Please also remember, we are a very small market. All of the voices are heard and needed to work together.

To me Groupon smells of desperation - we have a property nearby who has either taken on a new leaseholder or been bought we can't get to the bottom of which - as a fellow accommodation provider I have tried to extend the hand of friendship but have never received the curtisy of even a reply - they are doing groupon and frankly are being slammed all over the internet - but what baffles me is they are doing nothing about it
(1) their own facebook page ie has complete control - really bad write up havn't done anything
(2) bad write ups on trip adviser - nothing done
(3) we have a sort of local facebook called neighbours united - totally slammed - done nothing
I can understand if people are new and finding their feet and struggling for money - however to do nothing in the face of this seems like suicide? Plus they are really doing nothing to help themselves - no online booking at all you have to email as no one answers the phone - and hope someone gets back to you - sorry they will have booked somewhere else.

To me Groupon smells of desperation - we have a property nearby who has either taken on a new leaseholder or been bought we can't get to the bottom of which - as a fellow accommodation provider I have tried to extend the hand of friendship but have never received the curtisy of even a reply - they are doing groupon and frankly are being slammed all over the internet - but what baffles me is they are doing nothing about it
(1) their own facebook page ie has complete control - really bad write up havn't done anything
(2) bad write ups on trip adviser - nothing done
(3) we have a sort of local facebook called neighbours united - totally slammed - done nothing
I can understand if people are new and finding their feet and struggling for money - however to do nothing in the face of this seems like suicide? Plus they are really doing nothing to help themselves - no online booking at all you have to email as no one answers the phone - and hope someone gets back to you - sorry they will have booked somewhere else..
Are you talking about the hotel that still has "Seasonal Offers 2009" on their website?

Here's the latest review for the place that I mentioned in the original post:
"I can't argue much with what other travelers have said. Yes, the dog would be an annoyance if you don't like dogs. Yes some of the wallpaper looks ratty. Yes, the steps squeak. Yes, the male innkeeper and his girlfriend are a little more intrusive that most B&B folks.
The rooms get almost uncomfortably cold at night, but that's what the spare blankets are for.
Yes, the breakfasts are copious, but I can do a better job of cooking and presenting. And I realize that it's difficult to have food hot and fresh during a full hour for breakfast. I'm sorry folks, but there's something lacking when eight bottles of syrup are just dumped on the table.

Was it a nice place? Yes. Was it a great stay? Not particularly. Would I stay there again? Don't think so."
This was from a senior reviewer who has stayed at other B&B's. I find it kind of interesting that he says that the place was 'nice'. This particular B&B is ruining it for the rest of us, locally speaking, anyway. GRRR!!! I just hope he crashes and burns soon so as to minimize collateral damage to the rest of us trying to do a good job. He bragged that he had 90% occupancy one month lately. Well, it's hardly worth it if you're only getting $35/room. No wonder he can't pay for heat!
angry_smile.gif

Oh, and the innkeeper has not responded to one review!

Back