How much is too much?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We've always added a $20 premium for Weekends: Fri-Sat. This year it's up to $30 additional on most weekends. I adjust up and down as the week and bookings flow or ebb..
Momma Smurf said:
We've always added a $20 premium for Weekends: Fri-Sat. This year it's up to $30 additional on most weekends. I adjust up and down as the week and bookings flow or ebb.
$30! Wow! And you're busy, too. It's slow as can be here. Maybe I'll think about that for next year.
We had the best ever May in 10 years to compensate for what we lost this winter. June, meh, not so much comparatively. 'Tis always hope for the second half... am concerned about our new tourism honcho...
Momma Smurf said:
We had the best ever May in 10 years to compensate for what we lost this winter. June, meh, not so much comparatively. 'Tis always hope for the second half... am concerned about our new tourism honcho...
Worst. May. Ever. New owners are asking me if this is the way it always is. They are scared to death.
Quite possibly the airbnb effect.
Uber is wiping out the value and number of taxi medallion sales.
I expect a lot of closures of b&bs over the next 10 years.

We've always added a $20 premium for Weekends: Fri-Sat. This year it's up to $30 additional on most weekends. I adjust up and down as the week and bookings flow or ebb..
Momma Smurf said:
We've always added a $20 premium for Weekends: Fri-Sat. This year it's up to $30 additional on most weekends. I adjust up and down as the week and bookings flow or ebb.
$30! Wow! And you're busy, too. It's slow as can be here. Maybe I'll think about that for next year.
Momma Smurf said:
Worst. May. Ever. New owners are asking me if this is the way it always is. They are scared to death.
Well with that kind of attitude..why are you even considering opening one ?

Momma Smurf said:
Momma Smurf said:
It is not an attitude, but grim truth. Based on the competition from illegal hosts and governmental reactions, B&Bs are rapidly closing in places like NYC and Raleigh (where they all closed).
That is why I say repeatedly that I do not plan just a bed and breakfast, but other services. I am seeking to make it more of a destination.
I side with the boy who said the king was naked, rather than sing along with everyone how wonderful his clothes are.

Momma Smurf said:
Momma Smurf said:
You are making a LOT of assumptions. Lots of illegal Air up here (though when caught they aren't so happy to see the fines and tax man). But I've had more reservations and higher prices this summer so far.... Try calling a place on AirBnB to check if there is a room at the last minute.... or to see if you can get an answer, they can take hours or days to respond.

Momma Smurf said:
Momma Smurf said:
It is not an attitude, but grim truth. Based on the competition from illegal hosts and governmental reactions, B&Bs are rapidly closing in places like NYC and Raleigh (where they all closed).
That is why I say repeatedly that I do not plan just a bed and breakfast, but other services. I am seeking to make it more of a destination.
I side with the boy who said the king was naked, rather than sing along with everyone how wonderful his clothes are.
All I am going to say on this is - if you diversify too much, you will not be excellent at anything.

Momma Smurf said:
Momma Smurf said:
You are running off with some of the most negative posts we get here and drawing a general picture that is not very accurate.
One thing that is true: Creating an experience, developing a brand, and becoming a destination are all important for future success.

Momma Smurf said:
Momma Smurf said:
You are running off with some of the most negative posts we get here and drawing a general picture that is not very accurate.
One thing that is true: Creating an experience, developing a brand, and becoming a destination are all important for future success.
I promise you, I would not have stayed in this business if it was a depressing business. The world comes to ME - and pays me to do it. We have had some of the most interesting people and some who are famous in their world. One of my favorites was a lady who cleaned offices. She said she determined how much she wanted to do something by how many toilets she was going to have to clean to do.get it. And she chose to come for our inn-to-inn trail package.
It is a challenge to make this puddle called Shinnston (pop. about 2300 maybe) a destination. In less than a month, we begin year #20. And between my Tesla charger and my PR guy - we will get it on the map finally.

Momma Smurf said:
Momma Smurf said:
I promise you, I would not have stayed in this business if it was a depressing business. The world comes to ME - and pays me to do it. We have had some of the most interesting people and some who are famous in their world. One of my favorites was a lady who cleaned offices. She said she determined how much she wanted to do something by how many toilets she was going to have to clean to do.get it. And she chose to come for our inn-to-inn trail package.
It is a challenge to make this puddle called Shinnston (pop. about 2300 maybe) a destination. In less than a month, we begin year #20. And between my Tesla charger and my PR guy - we will get it on the map finally.
gillumhouse said:
thumbs_up.gif

Momma Smurf said:
Momma Smurf said:
undersea said:
It's very easy to point a finger at Air or OTAs as being the evil empire. One thing I've seen over the years in this business is that things change. Innkeepers are not folks that like a lot of change. Instead of being obsessed or be so negative by these new entities it's better to figure out how to use them (or not) to your advantage. All those b&bs that are closing just may be weeding out the chaff from the wheat.
Focus on the positive. It's tough enough for anyone to go through life with all it throws at you. Be realistic, but positive.

Momma Smurf said:
Momma Smurf said:
I have a friend who just opened a B&B and gets nearly all her clientele through Air. NO issues with that because she is running a legit biz. They gave her a platform she would not have had so she could hit the ground running.
I am leery of Air rentals, but I also know they provide a res engine that works.

Momma Smurf said:
Momma Smurf said:
I have a friend who just opened a B&B and gets nearly all her clientele through Air. NO issues with that because she is running a legit biz. They gave her a platform she would not have had so she could hit the ground running.
I am leery of Air rentals, but I also know they provide a res engine that works.
In other words, "If you can't beat 'em, join 'em!" :)

Momma Smurf said:
Why wait to next year? I did away with all rate charts on our website and simply put the seasonal range of prices under each room. When folks go to check specific availability they see the rates, which I move up and down on sometimes a daily basis, depending upon business trends and demand. I have a notice on our policy page that unconfirmed reservation rates are subject to change.

Momma Smurf said:
Momma Smurf said:
Exactly K- You have worked hard to create a destination and make your area relevant to travelers.

Momma Smurf said:
Momma Smurf said:
undersea said:
It's very easy to point a finger at Air or OTAs as being the evil empire. One thing I've seen over the years in this business is that things change. Innkeepers are not folks that like a lot of change. Instead of being obsessed or be so negative by these new entities it's better to figure out how to use them (or not) to your advantage. All those b&bs that are closing just may be weeding out the chaff from the wheat.
Focus on the positive. It's tough enough for anyone to go through life with all it throws at you. Be realistic, but positive.
abSOlutely!
Am I scared about these big changes we are getting ready to do with SM. Definitely. Yet, I feel we have to get out in front of the challenge of losing a lot of our SEO value and I am betting on a long term lower cost SM strategy to do it. I have gone from highly resistant to highly motivated and I am excited for it to get going.

Momma Smurf said:
Why wait to next year? I did away with all rate charts on our website and simply put the seasonal range of prices under each room. When folks go to check specific availability they see the rates, which I move up and down on sometimes a daily basis, depending upon business trends and demand. I have a notice on our policy page that unconfirmed reservation rates are subject to change.
Momma Smurf said:
I do change the prices when we start to fill up and it is a range on the website. But, July isn't filling up at all right now so this might not be the best time for an across-the-board rate hike.

Momma Smurf said:
Momma Smurf said:
TheBeachHouse said:
We just got our second rental. No one has stayed yet so we're waiting to see. From what I've seen, our price is on the high side for the area (whole houses going for less), so I was really just using it as a test.

You should definitely be raising rates for the high times. We raise our rates over the summer each month and then when we get to foliage the rate is $60 more than the regular year-round rate. Foliage is like travelling on an airline at Thanksgiving - you always pay more. And many innkeepers in foliage areas have to make as much money then as they can because there are other times of the year when there just aren't any guests. Don't feel bad about joining the rest of the hospitality and airline industry that charges based on demand.

You should definitely be raising rates for the high times. We raise our rates over the summer each month and then when we get to foliage the rate is $60 more than the regular year-round rate. Foliage is like travelling on an airline at Thanksgiving - you always pay more. And many innkeepers in foliage areas have to make as much money then as they can because there are other times of the year when there just aren't any guests. Don't feel bad about joining the rest of the hospitality and airline industry that charges based on demand..
MtnKeeper said:
You should definitely be raising rates for the high times. We raise our rates over the summer each month and then when we get to foliage the rate is $60 more than the regular year-round rate. Foliage is like travelling on an airline at Thanksgiving - you always pay more. And many innkeepers in foliage areas have to make as much money then as they can because there are other times of the year when there just aren't any guests. Don't feel bad about joining the rest of the hospitality and airline industry that charges based on demand.
We change rates based on season, but not day of the week and not individual holidays. We have decided that the hassel of keeping track of changing rates is more than we are willing to expend.
Instead, we went with seasons. June through September is summer (high season). January through March is winter (off season) and the rest of the months are in between. Of course we are even examining that as we were very busy last October.

Latest posts

Back