How to make Fifi legal....

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There have been lots of discussion on this topic both here and on the FB forum.

Many have stated that B&B's with 5 or less rooms that are owner occupied are not subject to the ADA regs. regarding service animals.
Since that would apply to me, I have attempted to call them to verify this. Each time I was on hold for over 45 minutes before hanging up. During the hold period the recording kept stating that the information shared is just that - it is not legal advice..
I think those ADA regs apply to things such as ramps etc...more with the physical aspects of the building. Service dogs must be accepted everywhere.

Many have stated that B&B's with 5 or less rooms that are owner occupied are not subject to the ADA regs. regarding service animals.
Since that would apply to me, I have attempted to call them to verify this. Each time I was on hold for over 45 minutes before hanging up. During the hold period the recording kept stating that the information shared is just that - it is not legal advice..
Didn't ADA go into effect in the early 90's? I was thinking it was not long after we arrived at the motel and from memory some rules didn't seem to apply to properties with 5 rooms or less, but again from memory thinking that these referenced required physical changes to the property. Since accepting a service animal does not require physical changes I would question it being excluded even on a smaller property.
Laws regarding service animals at least seeing eye dogs were in effect much earlier. One of our managers at a theatre where I worked refused a person with a dog back in the 70's, they were gracious about our error, maybe times were simpler, but did follow up by providing information on the law and our error educating us for the future.

I have only one room for dogs, Cottage and if its occupied they have to go elsewhere. Have had this happen......
You have to allow them into any room - you have to accommodate them, it's not the same as allowing a pet. That's the law and you can wind up getting sued so be careful. Just because you've done it before, doesn't mean the next person won't sue you.

Didn't ADA go into effect in the early 90's? I was thinking it was not long after we arrived at the motel and from memory some rules didn't seem to apply to properties with 5 rooms or less, but again from memory thinking that these referenced required physical changes to the property. Since accepting a service animal does not require physical changes I would question it being excluded even on a smaller property.
Laws regarding service animals at least seeing eye dogs were in effect much earlier. One of our managers at a theatre where I worked refused a person with a dog back in the 70's, they were gracious about our error, maybe times were simpler, but did follow up by providing information on the law and our error educating us for the future.
https://www.ada.gov/regs2010/service_animal_qa.pdf

EmptyNest said:
I find the answer to Q34 very interesting.

Copperhead said:

I can assure that it's NOT true. The ADA applies to all businesses, regardless of size.

Copperhead said:

I can assure that it's NOT true. The ADA applies to all businesses, regardless of size.
PhineasSwann said:
Copperhead said:

That is what I thought believe as well.

Back