How to respond?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
TEXT them.
I think, Mort, you said you don't use or own a smart phone? But this is how it is.
I have co workers, friends and family that are inundated with email. One employer rarely checks his email, and he gets 100's a week. Email him? Good luck getting an answer. I have people complain they didn't know about whatever ... even though I'm sending out emails like crazy.
But I can reach them via text.
Always. Or nearly always. And most have it set so a little ping goes off when a text comes in.
They always have their cell phones handy.
I resisted keeping mine at my side but it's become the 'I've fallen and I can't get up' thing ... elder friends' kids ask that they keep their cell phones with them. My own kids say 'Mom - we texted you - where WERE you?'
I would offer that TEXT option, you'll need their number of course. (I'd send the email as well)
Make up a simple text to use all the time - Your reservation at xyz is confirmed for ........... check in is from 3 to 7. Directions are here (link) See you then.
They probably have software that will do it for you I don't know.
Up until this summer I never gave guests our mobile number. They could email or dial up the land line where we have a machine taking messages if we are not available.
After texting one returning-guests couple I soon regretted it! It seems a text is just too easy to send...they must have used it 20 times for a variety of niggling things. So no more texting guests for us!
Silverspoon said:
After texting one returning-guests couple I soon regretted it! It seems a text is just too easy to send...they must have used it 20 times for a variety of niggling things. So no more texting guests for us!
Because this is a big concern for me (no down time and immediate response expected) I'm not sure how I could handle texts.
If someone can very easily text at 1am would they not expect an immediate response? Rather than saying to themselves, 'this can wait until morning if I have get out of bed to ring the bell for help'.
Everyone is different ... I realize that.
I am not an immediate responder ... not to phone calls, messages left, emails or texts
I just look at a text as like a quick email and respond in my own time. Unless it's someone I am trying to connect with like family who is on the way or I'm doing my 4am drive to them and they're watching for me. Sometimes my cell phone won't connect or the voice fades in and out, but a text will go through. So I pull over and send one. Family knows I'm not going to pick up the phone while I'm driving.
I don't have my phone sent to alert me audibly 24 hours a day and if I get multiple texts from the same person, they all show up in a row under their name, like in this thread, and I answer when it suits me just as with any other way of communicating.
I send texts to whomever when I think of it ... I am not expecting an answer right away. That's not how I use texting. It's a different mind set. I just grab my phone and type a line or two and send it. It's so easy. And I've embraced it.
Personally, I am sick of my emails going to SPAM or social or whatever file my email program decides in its weird calculations to move. I don't want to spend a lot of time searching for them.
Anyway ... I was just trying to give a different perspective and option to those who are sending email confirmations to .. with Reservation Confirmed for ... in the subject line and it's not working. That's all.
Morticia said:
Silverspoon said:
Because this is a big concern for me (no down time and immediate response expected) I'm not sure how I could handle texts.
If someone can very easily text at 1am would they not expect an immediate response? Rather than saying to themselves, 'this can wait until morning if I have get out of bed to ring the bell for help'.

They did not want our breakfast, they wanted continental. They did not want to eat during regular hours, they needed eat early. Then they disappeared for two hours.

Well, I did give that text from the computer thing a try. Here are the steps:
  • Create a new template for info to send each time
  • Access guest record to pull phone number
  • No mobile phone number
  • Move to next guest
  • Copy phone number, search for carrier
  • Look up correct format for SMS by carrier
  • Open email
  • Type in address based on above info
  • Copy in template
  • Realize there's too damn much info that has be entered: arrival date, departure date, arrival time, allergies, etc
  • Give up
Using a cell phone I cut out having to look up the carrier and the correct format but geez Louise it's still a lot of typing to get the info across.
I think I might try sending the text directly from the reservation program. Or, as someone else mentioned a text that says check your email for arrival info.

• No mobile phone number
  • Move to next guest
  • Open email
  • Copy in template
  • Realize there's too damn much info that has be entered: arrival date, departure date, arrival time, allergies, etc
  • Give up
Using a cell phone I cut out having to look up the carrier and the correct format but geez Louise it's still a lot of typing to get the info across.
I think I might try sending the text directly from the reservation program. Or, as someone else mentioned a text that says check your email for arrival info..
Even with a smart phone I don't type/text well, short and sweet
What about a text that says check this email address for confirmation email of your visit
Of course if they don't read English or their device is not compatible with the email program I guess nothing helps.

• No mobile phone number
  • Move to next guest
  • Open email
  • Copy in template
  • Give up
I think I might try sending the text directly from the reservation program. Or, as someone else mentioned a text that says check your email for arrival info..
Even with a smart phone I don't type/text well, short and sweet
What about a text that says check this email address for confirmation email of your visit
Of course if they don't read English or their device is not compatible with the email program I guess nothing helps.
I use MySMS so that we can type on our PC and send. Can cut and paste stuff too.

Back