How To Word a Reservation Rejection

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Update: They called :( I had to explain to them my reasoning behind my decision. I wasn't going to lie, knowing full well that they would watch the availability calendar.

They apologized profusely, said it would not happen again, and would I please reconsider? I told them no. What I did not mention in my first posting was that they had done this the year prior also - but only *I* saw the last minute of it, and no other guests were in the house at the time. So this was done TWICE - I have every right to deny them. Not sure if I will get a bad review out of this, but not really concerned about it either.

Thanks again for the input..
You handled that call perfectly! I know how hard that was for you because I've had to do it myself. At least now you know that they will no longer contact you or try to reserve a room again. Take comfort in that.
As far as a review? I seriously doubt they'll do one. They won't risk that you'll reveal their bad behavior.
Thanks BD! Even after twelve long years of doing this, I have such a hard time with guest confrontation. I am blessed that it rarely happens. Even these guests were neat, tidy, quiet, not needy, wanted nothing special...except apparently to have a pool with complete privacy.

Update: They called :( I had to explain to them my reasoning behind my decision. I wasn't going to lie, knowing full well that they would watch the availability calendar.

They apologized profusely, said it would not happen again, and would I please reconsider? I told them no. What I did not mention in my first posting was that they had done this the year prior also - but only *I* saw the last minute of it, and no other guests were in the house at the time. So this was done TWICE - I have every right to deny them. Not sure if I will get a bad review out of this, but not really concerned about it either.

Good for you!

You did us all a favor by talking frankly with them. Although it was difficult for you, you should feel proud that you did not cave in and then resent that they had taken advantage of you. They will be less likely to exhibit their bad behavior in another B+B and should be lucky that innkeepers don't have a TA where we can review our guests!

You did us all a favor by talking frankly with them. Although it was difficult for you, you should feel proud that you did not cave in and then resent that they had taken advantage of you. They will be less likely to exhibit their bad behavior in another B+B and should be lucky that innkeepers don't have a TA where we can review our guests!
Silverspoon said:
. They will be less likely to exhibit their bad behavior in another B+B and should be lucky that innkeepers don't have a TA where we can review our guests!
GuestChek.

Sorry you had to address this but good for you for standing your ground. They needed to know that their behavior was inappropriate. Hope they learned from this.

Congratulations. You have moved your B & B up a notch (and the innkeeper) with drawing the line and not backing down.
I imagine everyone here grew up with Daddy who said, "My house, my rules." You are carrying on the tradition.

Silverspoon said:
. They will be less likely to exhibit their bad behavior in another B+B and should be lucky that innkeepers don't have a TA where we can review our guests!
GuestChek.
Never knew about this. Anybody you know use it?

Silverspoon said:
GuestChek.
Silverspoon said:
I think a couple of people here do use it. I've not tried it.

Silverspoon said:
GuestChek.
Silverspoon said:
I use it. You can check someone based on name or last 5 digits of their phone number. You set a red flag for guests that are a problem including those who put up fake reviews. You use the alert system when it's something that others need to know. For example, a particular type of scam that was tried with CC with me.
So if you have a guest who tries a chargeback because they don't want to pay the cancellation, that's a red flag with payment.

Silverspoon said:
GuestChek.
Silverspoon said:
I use it. You can check someone based on name or last 5 digits of their phone number. You set a red flag for guests that are a problem including those who put up fake reviews. You use the alert system when it's something that others need to know. For example, a particular type of scam that was tried with CC with me.
So if you have a guest who tries a chargeback because they don't want to pay the cancellation, that's a red flag with payment.
Ah, very useful! We have been very very lucky the last few years. But I still remember a few guests from way back who would haver merited a red flag....bad check, room damage that sort of thing. I guess I'll just bookmark that site and hope I never feel the need to use it!
lightbulb.gif
Thanks for sharing.

Back