How was August?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's our secondary season and we aren't open all the time. We were closed 8 nights and August broke all it's revenue records..
happykeeper said:
It's our secondary season and we aren't open all the time. We were closed 8 nights and August broke all it's revenue records.
That is awesome!!!!!
We have already surpassed our annual projections and we have the fall and holidays to go. We're pretty pleased.
Congratulations! Really, truly great to hear about success. Have you had a chance to analyze what is making the difference?
happykeeper said:
Congratulations! Really, truly great to hear about success. Have you had a chance to analyze what is making the difference?
One is b oo king dot com. PO wasn't on it. We get a lot of action there. She also wasn't in the chamber of commerce listing of accommadations. duh. Also, Trip A. We asked for reviews and the volume put us up to #1 (from #5 of 7 when we started.)
We somehow got into two articles in the City paper about places to visit close to the city.
Have you had a chance to run any numbers on boo king? Do you feel the commission is worth the gain? Love that you popped up to #1- that has made a huge difference for us.
happykeeper said:
Have you had a chance to run any numbers on boo king? Do you feel the commission is worth the gain? Love that you popped up to #1- that has made a huge difference for us.
I love the commission because you only pay for what you get. So, yes, we feel it's worth it. We did recently pay for premium service from them so that our website is on their site. We advertise, book direct for 10% off. Less than the commission and direct is better.
you have to watch them with this as if a guest sees you on B then goes to your site to book and uses their book now button it is still classed as the 15%

It's our secondary season and we aren't open all the time. We were closed 8 nights and August broke all it's revenue records..
happykeeper said:
It's our secondary season and we aren't open all the time. We were closed 8 nights and August broke all it's revenue records.
That is awesome!!!!!
We have already surpassed our annual projections and we have the fall and holidays to go. We're pretty pleased.
happykeeper said:
One is b oo king dot com. PO wasn't on it. We get a lot of action there. She also wasn't in the chamber of commerce listing of accommadations. duh. Also, Trip A. We asked for reviews and the volume put us up to #1 (from #5 of 7 when we started.)
We somehow got into two articles in the City paper about places to visit close to the city.
happykeeper said:
I love the commission because you only pay for what you get. So, yes, we feel it's worth it. We did recently pay for premium service from them so that our website is on their site. We advertise, book direct for 10% off. Less than the commission and direct is better.
you have to watch them with this as if a guest sees you on B then goes to your site to book and uses their book now button it is still classed as the 15%
Joey Camb said:
If they book thorugh Bdc, then that's fine with us. If they book through us, better. Heads in beds. We only pay for what we get.

They must be staying with you then because I'm closed right now and on vacation because it was so slow..
Really? That's weird, we are always at 98% occupancy this week. Next week is the beginning of the slooooowness here. Can't wait!
Momma Smurf said:
Really? That's weird, we are always at 98% occupancy this week. Next week is the beginning of the slooooowness here. Can't wait!
I checked before we left and there were still 12 or so rooms open among the other inns each day. Yes, this is usually the busier week and I could have filled tonight had I wanted to check guests in after me being in the car for 8 hours!
Zero phone calls for 2 days, then a ton when we were still 2 hours from home.
I'd rather sleep in tomorrow!
Next week is probably 50% occ. It's been an off summer here.

They must be staying with you then because I'm closed right now and on vacation because it was so slow..
Momma Smurf said:
I checked before we left and there were still 12 or so rooms open among the other inns each day. Yes, this is usually the busier week and I could have filled tonight had I wanted to check guests in after me being in the car for 8 hours!
Perhaps it was the cooler than lately normal temps that kept people away. I haven't seen the final number of visitors coming to our area but it sure feels like there were the usual number. More traffic jams and accidents than usual, but that is probably more from the beach congestion and inattention of the drivers than from more total cars.
I've been full for all the days I was open and got rather used to turning people away. It was much easier than I thought it would be.
shades_smile.gif

Momma Smurf said:
Perhaps it was the cooler than lately normal temps that kept people away. I haven't seen the final number of visitors coming to our area but it sure feels like there were the usual number. More traffic jams and accidents than usual, but that is probably more from the beach congestion and inattention of the drivers than from more total cars.
I've been full for all the days I was open and got rather used to turning people away. It was much easier than I thought it would be.
shades_smile.gif

Except the hotels are full. I am getting midnight calls from them looking for rooms for walk ins.
If it was just us I'd be looking at what to change but we're at the top tier as far as b&b occ.

Momma Smurf said:
shades_smile.gif

Except the hotels are full. I am getting midnight calls from them looking for rooms for walk ins.
If it was just us I'd be looking at what to change but we're at the top tier as far as b&b occ.
Don't you think it might be the changing demographic of the visitors coming to your area? Maybe what you are getting is a younger, shopping crowd who are surfing all the 3rd party sites looking for a last minute deal. TA takes them to the hotels first and they may never even see a B+B listing on TA if they don't specifically choose to see the B+B reviews.
I know that we are very lucky here because there is a moratorium on new hotels and motels so we really only have one big hotel in town. Since it has a pool it really appeals to families with kids. Folks who come to this area of the "island" generally know that if they want upscale lodging they have to choose a B+B or go to another town to find an upscale, very expensive resort. I would love to know how the big megabuck resorts to our south did this year. I have a feeling they did very well indeed.

Momma Smurf said:
shades_smile.gif

Don't you think it might be the changing demographic of the visitors coming to your area? Maybe what you are getting is a younger, shopping crowd who are surfing all the 3rd party sites looking for a last minute deal. TA takes them to the hotels first and they may never even see a B+B listing on TA if they don't specifically choose to see the B+B reviews.
I know that we are very lucky here because there is a moratorium on new hotels and motels so we really only have one big hotel in town. Since it has a pool it really appeals to families with kids. Folks who come to this area of the "island" generally know that if they want upscale lodging they have to choose a B+B or go to another town to find an upscale, very expensive resort. I would love to know how the big megabuck resorts to our south did this year. I have a feeling they did very well indeed.
Could be. We got on booking so we could capture some of that crowd. Turns out we still get geezers that way!

Momma Smurf said:
shades_smile.gif

We have seen Vacancy signs on the BIG inns/resorts here all summer long. Still think tis the cooler weather.

We have 8 rooms - rented 87 so far this month (36%). That's 32 more rooms than last year. Our numbers are way up, but still not where our goal is. But, we're not into season yet either. October is peak and leaves are starting to change slightly already. We expect September to be a blow out as well. We almost doubled last year's July and May was more than double. Great year so far!

Mine was a wee bit slower. A major seaweed issue on the Gulf Coast this year contributed to a smaller beach going crowd :(

Back