I am going to become aloof, I think you may consider joining me

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I find myself thinking that same exact thing, when letting a guest go on and on and on "I will NEVER get this time back". And they will not remember that we had this conversation a year from now. Oh, they'll remember that they had a good time, but they won't remember the details of the conversations we had. I know I won't!

I have had this thought for so long, I think I'm actually going to do something about it. I need an app on my phone that will ring upon demand. Some button on the outside of my phone that I can discreetly push while it's in my pocket, and 30 seconds later, it will ring. Sure, I could just act like it's on vibrate, and pick it up while speaking to someone and answer it and quietly excuse myself. But I'd rather that it actually ring, so the guest would stop talking for just one second while I say "Oh gosh, I'm so sorry...duty calls. Will you excuse me for a moment?" Then slip into my office and have my imaginary conversation (which usually involves telling the dog how lucky she is that she doesn't have to talk to people) while they are hopefully moving along and getting on with their day.

I have about a five minute limit with people and their life history. "Ain't nobody got time for that!".
"they'll remember that they had a good time,"
Yes Banana! That's why we listen. Really one of the most important things we can do for anyone. anytime. anywhere. In a world with so much bombardment, we have a hunger to be listened to, to just be heard. Innkeepers help fill that void. It's one of the things that make me happy.
(confession: I used to be a crisis line counselor, then have held a variety of public service positions, and worked in a high-pressure broadcast environment. Practice does help, and a sympathetic DH is a godsend, though, giggle, he does leave most of the public contact to me)
I think many of my guests just want someone to talk to who at least give a sympathetic appearance of giving a rip what they are saying. I can sit there half listening with a concerned look on my face and they are happy. SOME ONE heard what they were feeling. They were able to vent their troubles. Will I get that time back? No, but I have improved the attitude of that person. Now if they are just perennial bitchers, I have provided a service to their usual whipping post.

I always say "I aim to be the cool aunt" - everyone has one, she is the person you want to visit and always brings excellent presents - that's what I want to be to my customers

I find myself thinking that same exact thing, when letting a guest go on and on and on "I will NEVER get this time back". And they will not remember that we had this conversation a year from now. Oh, they'll remember that they had a good time, but they won't remember the details of the conversations we had. I know I won't!

I have had this thought for so long, I think I'm actually going to do something about it. I need an app on my phone that will ring upon demand. Some button on the outside of my phone that I can discreetly push while it's in my pocket, and 30 seconds later, it will ring. Sure, I could just act like it's on vibrate, and pick it up while speaking to someone and answer it and quietly excuse myself. But I'd rather that it actually ring, so the guest would stop talking for just one second while I say "Oh gosh, I'm so sorry...duty calls. Will you excuse me for a moment?" Then slip into my office and have my imaginary conversation (which usually involves telling the dog how lucky she is that she doesn't have to talk to people) while they are hopefully moving along and getting on with their day.

I have about a five minute limit with people and their life history. "Ain't nobody got time for that!".
"they'll remember that they had a good time,"
Yes Banana! That's why we listen. Really one of the most important things we can do for anyone. anytime. anywhere. In a world with so much bombardment, we have a hunger to be listened to, to just be heard. Innkeepers help fill that void. It's one of the things that make me happy.
(confession: I used to be a crisis line counselor, then have held a variety of public service positions, and worked in a high-pressure broadcast environment. Practice does help, and a sympathetic DH is a godsend, though, giggle, he does leave most of the public contact to me)
I can listen. For a limited amount of time. I simply do not have time to sit down with my guests for an hour, or even 30 minutes and listen to their life history. I am not a trained therapist, or counselor. I also have worked in high pressure, emotionally charged jobs where the "customer" was screaming, or crying, needing/wanting/demanding that someone listen. And I did. That was my job, but unlike this one, I didn't have a gazillion other things pulling me away, demanding my attention. Communication with the guests in this job is limited, due to the behind the scenes demands.

I can generally excuse myself from a dominating person who is demanding my attention with tact and grace. I never give a guest the impression that they weren't important to me. I don't have a sympathetic DH to vent on, or help with the behind the scenes duties, so our situations may be a little different.

I always say "I aim to be the cool aunt" - everyone has one, she is the person you want to visit and always brings excellent presents - that's what I want to be to my customers.
I am to be the cool uncle. Every damn noisy toy... I'm buying. That drum set. That amplifier that your neighbours will hate... it's all on me!

And so... The first time va.org features us on fb I am not home! If people call...if you go to our B&B Facebook pg you will see where iam... I cant post from here... I am on the lawn ata beach at a mtn lk. It is amazing, calm, gentle, warm and I feel like I am wrapped up in a big security blanket...
There is a guy trolling right in front of me, reeling in a few fish...

And so... The first time va.org features us on fb I am not home! If people call...if you go to our B&B Facebook pg you will see where iam... I cant post from here... I am on the lawn ata beach at a mtn lk. It is amazing, calm, gentle, warm and I feel like I am wrapped up in a big security blanket...
There is a guy trolling right in front of me, reeling in a few fish....
I hear about 10 accordions playing theone song I think they all learned - Jealousy!!! My teeth are trying to chatter.

Back