I need to blow off some steam...

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Update: He kept his seat. The old fuddy duddies voted him back in. But we do have new blood on council, a younger entrepreneur who offset one of the long time bench warmers. So that is better than nothing!
thumbs_up.gif
You have made progress. A chink in the armor to get ANY new blood. It is a start.

Yes, change takes time, but at least you have a choice. I've seen a few cases, though, where young new blood becomes one of the old gang as soon as they get in office and the others start to talk to them. Hope that doesn't happen with your new one!.
Arks said:
Yes, change takes time, but at least you have a choice. I've seen a few cases, though, where young new blood becomes one of the old gang as soon as they get in office and the others start to talk to them. Hope that doesn't happen with your new one!
Agreed. Hope not!
I posted on facebook "I am supposed to vote for a town council member who is against the Music Venue? Me. Yeah right. I VoTed today."
Really, this is a weird world we live in. The music venue IS IN, so lets do what we can to bring revenue to the town. But that is how it is in small towns, they will have a lifelong feud over something like this, lines have been drawn. You know that!
I am doing all I can to promote this venue, and this town, and this area.

our trouble is - my town is where a lot of people retire to a good chunk of our population is over 65 and they like everything just like it is - trouble is if there is no money it won't be as there won't be money for maintaining it as it is if the 1 in 3 jobs which are tourism related pack up!
this is a perfect example - The Tour De France cycle race is coming not once but twice to Harrogate, we will get world wide coverage on a massive scale and as we are the finish line of stage 2 will get tons of coverage - will bring 1.5 million tourists to Harrogate for the 2 days - and this is what we get!
http://www.harrogateadvertiser.co.uk/news/letters/letter-tour-de-france-2014-not-welcome-in-harrogate-1-6588996
and it has taken us 3 years to get to this with the xmas market! http://www.harrogate-news.co.uk/2014/04/10/harrogate-christmas-market-set-return-third-year-2014/
really pushing the fact it is all done by volunteers and not the council! drives me mad!.
Probably not just your town.
Etape cycle race came to Loc hne ss last Sunday, which meant rolling road closures right round the loch. It was 1000 cyclists this year (1st year) but has the potential to be huge and bring a great deal of tourism to the whole area. Pitlochry's race is now 3,000 cyclists.
Monday morning, articles in the paper with people complaining about the road closures. It's 1 sunday morning a year people.
my special letter writing friend - complained at the Christmas market the carol singers were too loud
those kind of people want to find something or will make something up - ive no time for them.

Yes, change takes time, but at least you have a choice. I've seen a few cases, though, where young new blood becomes one of the old gang as soon as they get in office and the others start to talk to them. Hope that doesn't happen with your new one!.
Arks said:
Yes, change takes time, but at least you have a choice. I've seen a few cases, though, where young new blood becomes one of the old gang as soon as they get in office and the others start to talk to them. Hope that doesn't happen with your new one!
Agreed. Hope not!
I posted on facebook "I am supposed to vote for a town council member who is against the Music Venue? Me. Yeah right. I VoTed today."
Really, this is a weird world we live in. The music venue IS IN, so lets do what we can to bring revenue to the town. But that is how it is in small towns, they will have a lifelong feud over something like this, lines have been drawn. You know that!
I am doing all I can to promote this venue, and this town, and this area.
A few years back our town joined with 2 others to form a new school district. This was mandated so not really a choice.
Now the towns have decided to go their own ways, taxes are outrageous for the 2 more rural towns.
The decision is made. The district is splitting up. Every single meeting about how to do the split graciously has 2 or 3 people who stand up and say we shouldn't be splitting up, why aren't we working to make the original plan viable.
Every single meeting. People! You don't like it then get a referendum to reverse the decision but the people here tonight can only work on the decision that's been made. Not what you want it to be.
It's everywhere.

In the late 80's they took down the train bridge over the river here, but the concrete supports from the bridge are still in the river and on the banks. Yesterday a state senator was in town to announce that the state is giving $100,000 for a feasibility study to build a pedestrian bridge across the river, using the old train bridge supports, to create a 2-mile walking track from the old train depot (now our visitor information center), across the river, and down the old train bed before looping back across the river via the old car bridge that the highway dept. is abandoning, and back to the starting point. A wonderful, unique thing to have right in the middle of our town.
The mayor's first question when the grant was announced? "Who is going to maintain all this and what will maintenance cost?"
Certainly they are valid questions. But the answer should be, whatever it takes, we should do it. Instead, the city's answer will be, let's just not do it.
Thanks, JB, for starting this. A lot of us have pent-up frustrations to get off our chests!

In the late 80's they took down the train bridge over the river here, but the concrete supports from the bridge are still in the river and on the banks. Yesterday a state senator was in town to announce that the state is giving $100,000 for a feasibility study to build a pedestrian bridge across the river, using the old train bridge supports, to create a 2-mile walking track from the old train depot (now our visitor information center), across the river, and down the old train bed before looping back across the river via the old car bridge that the highway dept. is abandoning, and back to the starting point. A wonderful, unique thing to have right in the middle of our town.
The mayor's first question when the grant was announced? "Who is going to maintain all this and what will maintenance cost?"
Certainly they are valid questions. But the answer should be, whatever it takes, we should do it. Instead, the city's answer will be, let's just not do it.
Thanks, JB, for starting this. A lot of us have pent-up frustrations to get off our chests!.
What you have to do is show them the money. Show the Mayor and the resident constipation how much money will be brought in to town to THEIR businesses. You already know what your guesthouse brings to town and what it adds (and vice versa) to your sister's store, the restaurant, etc. Maintenance - IF attended to regularly - should not be huge.

Thanks, JB, for starting this. A lot of us have pent-up frustrations to get off our chests!.
We have a pocket park in the middle of town. It was gifted to the town along with a budget to maintain it. The question now is what to do with it as no one seems to use it but dog walkers.
It's odd but it's a semi scary park. I've been thru it a few times with the dog but wouldn't go by myself. Just a weird vibe thru the whole place.

We have a pocket park in the middle of town. It was gifted to the town along with a budget to maintain it. The question now is what to do with it as no one seems to use it but dog walkers.
It's odd but it's a semi scary park. I've been thru it a few times with the dog but wouldn't go by myself. Just a weird vibe thru the whole place.
Madeleine said:
That would never enter the minds of people here. Our last robbery was...never. Our last mugging was...never. Our last rape, well...never happened in a public place here.

we had this with Royal Horticultural Society Harlow Carr Gardens = this is the northern hq of this organisation which is all about plants and gardens and is an amazing tourist attraction, something like 250 thousand people come every year, however because it is so popular they don't have enough parking so bought more land to build the worlds most tasteful car park however the only access from new carpark to their reception is through council land - council cannot afford to build and maintain a path, RHS said no problem we will rent it from you on a 20 year least , build the path and look after it no problem and everyone wins - them people kicked off as they don't believe in renting council land to private organisations!

we had this with Royal Horticultural Society Harlow Carr Gardens = this is the northern hq of this organisation which is all about plants and gardens and is an amazing tourist attraction, something like 250 thousand people come every year, however because it is so popular they don't have enough parking so bought more land to build the worlds most tasteful car park however the only access from new carpark to their reception is through council land - council cannot afford to build and maintain a path, RHS said no problem we will rent it from you on a 20 year least , build the path and look after it no problem and everyone wins - them people kicked off as they don't believe in renting council land to private organisations!
There's always someone trying to kill off any project no matter how beneficial the outcome, in my experience they are a vocal minority.
There's a bypass round Inverness, but it's never been linked up at this end with the main road on the other side of the Loch/canal. The plans to build that have been going round and round for as long as I can remember, with each new solution comes new objections.

There's always someone trying to kill off any project no matter how beneficial the outcome, in my experience they are a vocal minority.
There's a bypass round Inverness, but it's never been linked up at this end with the main road on the other side of the Loch/canal. The plans to build that have been going round and round for as long as I can remember, with each new solution comes new objections.
i work on the principle that some people just don't have anything better to do - so whine and complain because anyone getting off their bum and actually doing anything makes them look bad - so its easer to do nothing

Madeleine said:
That would never enter the minds of people here. Our last robbery was...never. Our last mugging was...never. Our last rape, well...never happened in a public place here.
Arks said:
Madeleine said:
Ditto here but I'm a city girl. And given that I never see anyone in there but people with dogs, I think other people get the weird vibe as well.

There was a bypass planned for the city where I used to live. It was partway constructed. I moved away from there after 25 years. It's still not finished.

Madeleine said:
haunted?

Madeleine said:
haunted?
TheBeachHouse said:
Madeleine said:
haunted?
Possibly. You ever read 'It'? Reminds me of where the kids found the empty fridge even tho this place is clean and landscaped.

Madeleine said:
haunted?
TheBeachHouse said:
Madeleine said:
haunted?
Possibly. You ever read 'It'? Reminds me of where the kids found the empty fridge even tho this place is clean and landscaped.
Madeleine said:
TheBeachHouse said:
Madeleine said:
haunted?
shudder

Back