I say children and babies are people too.

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Being near a ski area, we get families that want to stay with us. We're OK with that, but I will agree that as a pet-friendly B&B, we have fewer problem dogs than toddlers.
When we bought the place, kids were discouraged by the previous owners but not prohibited. Kids older than 12 were charged as adults, 12 and younger were free.
After 2 years, we've adjusted our policies somewhat.
1) Children under the age of 12 are no longer allowed in the Main House rooms. I can't risk having kids fall down the main staircase, and the walls are thinner, so romantic guests are more likely to be disturbed by small kids. Our suites in the Carriage and River Houses are more insulated, and more conducive to families.
2) Kids cost money. More cleaning, and they eat sometimes as much and more than adults. They certainly tear the tar out of our snack table. We've dropped our paying age to 6. If you're 6 and above, you're an extra person and we charge you an extra $20 a day. As mentioned above, it does weed out those looking for a free ride for their kids.
3) Outside seating in the summer. When we spot really disruptive kids, we give parents the great idea that sitting outside in our gazebo is the PERFECT way to enjoy a breakfast at the Phineas Swann. Usually most of them take us up on it, leading to a much quieter dining room.
Aside from that, I would say 90-95 percent of the guests who stay with us and have children are wonderful. We've hosted some absolutely charming young men and women who at age 11-12 have a level of politeness and respect that gives us great hope for the future. So we'll stay positive

Being near a ski area, we get families that want to stay with us. We're OK with that, but I will agree that as a pet-friendly B&B, we have fewer problem dogs than toddlers.
When we bought the place, kids were discouraged by the previous owners but not prohibited. Kids older than 12 were charged as adults, 12 and younger were free.
After 2 years, we've adjusted our policies somewhat.
1) Children under the age of 12 are no longer allowed in the Main House rooms. I can't risk having kids fall down the main staircase, and the walls are thinner, so romantic guests are more likely to be disturbed by small kids. Our suites in the Carriage and River Houses are more insulated, and more conducive to families.
2) Kids cost money. More cleaning, and they eat sometimes as much and more than adults. They certainly tear the tar out of our snack table. We've dropped our paying age to 6. If you're 6 and above, you're an extra person and we charge you an extra $20 a day. As mentioned above, it does weed out those looking for a free ride for their kids.
3) Outside seating in the summer. When we spot really disruptive kids, we give parents the great idea that sitting outside in our gazebo is the PERFECT way to enjoy a breakfast at the Phineas Swann. Usually most of them take us up on it, leading to a much quieter dining room.
Aside from that, I would say 90-95 percent of the guests who stay with us and have children are wonderful. We've hosted some absolutely charming young men and women who at age 11-12 have a level of politeness and respect that gives us great hope for the future. So we'll stay positive.
I think you've incorporated a great compromise. I look at it this way. Not only am I protecting our other guests by not allowing young children in the main house, but it's also a much better experience for the child to be in a separate structure and to be able to play, jump, cry, etc., without having guests or 'mean' innkeepers trying to shush them.

I think we need to flag this thread as it is possibly politically driven by the far right or moral majority.
No I am not joking, I am totally serious. "I say children and babies are people too." I agree. So we better take this one down too.

'A person's a person, no matter how small.' -Dr. Seuss.
Temp Innsanity said:
'A person's a person, no matter how small.' -Dr. Seuss
thumbs_up.gif
Yes! No matter how small!

Back