I want to stay 1 night to charge batteries...Oups!

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
What would be monthly electric charge to my bill if a guest charged car batteries here ? Please respond today wed.3/13/13 Thank you.
Just talked with him on the phone , NO CAR. Worded such as it implied a car ...they are traveling from such place to such place ( 2hrs north from here to 2 hrs west of here) and need to charge batteries. NO CAR .
OH .. I am guilty of reading between the lines :( They are staying the night but not charging a car ( not a battery type car but gas car ) Got it all cleared up as I talked to him on the phone. Bless the phone, sometimes the "old phone " makes things clearer.

(Disclosure: I am not a B&B owner - just doing research to become one). Just a suggestion, divide your average monthly electric bill by number of days in the month, by the number of guests staying today, then add 30% surcharge to cover the time it's taking you to determine this fee, convenience fee, and overhead and profit. Just my two cents. If they don't like it they can always go to an AutoParts store and buy or charge a battery - chances are it'll be close to the same cost to them in the end when you factor in gas and time to find and get to the store.

Here's a previous thread on charging stations for electric cars: https://www.innspiring.com/node/11690
My approach -- assume an electric car has a range of 200 miles and gets the equivalent of 40 mpg, so I would charge them the equivalent of 5 gallons of gasoline.... so about $20.

The calculation isn't too difficult. The electric cars use about 16 kWh per 100km (or 60 miles) then multiply that by your electricity rate. The Leaf has a range of 200km, so if you were paying 10c a kWh then a charge is 16 * 2 * .1 = $3.20.
Checking basic residential rates in Va. I get $0.07, so it is in the range of $2.25

But the charging and discharging of batteries is not 100% efficient, so it will actually take something on the order of 20% more than 16kWh of electricity to put that much energy back into the battery...

I have to ask, and I know this is silly, but did they say recharge their batteries or charge their batteries?
whatchutalkingabout_smile.gif

Are you talking an electric car? It's not that expensive but they will have to have an adapter. Here is some info with different pricing depending on where you live:
http://auto.howstuffworks.com/how-much-does-it-cost-to-charge-an-electric-car.htm
I would not add a surcharge for something that is $2-$3. Cost depends on what you pay for electricity. Our rates are probably double the national average and I still wouldn't surcharge.

So he just means recharge AA batteries or similar? That would be free.
Or does he mean recharge his batteries like get a good night's sleep ;-)

Just a thought, why not charge them an even $5.00. There is the convenience of doing it. Do you remember the days of paying for a fax? It was always at least a dollar. Just charging phone, computer, ipod, etc. should be gratis.

Anyway, consider it a great idea for a blog.
Here is one I wrote thanks to you Mary @ Bridgewater, with some photos I took at a state park on two occasions. :)
"Time to charge your batteries" The theme at Shenandoah State Park seems to be relax, refresh and recharge.
What do you think about when you hear charge or recharge batteries? See what one blogger thought about here: http://www.virginiaoutdoors.com/article/more/4273

Just a thought, why not charge them an even $5.00. There is the convenience of doing it. Do you remember the days of paying for a fax? It was always at least a dollar. Just charging phone, computer, ipod, etc. should be gratis..
white pine said:
Just a thought, why not charge them an even $5.00. There is the convenience of doing it. Do you remember the days of paying for a fax? It was always at least a dollar. Just charging phone, computer, ipod, etc. should be gratis.
For something like this, something we may want to encourage, no surcharge. I did not want people faxing back and forth so I did charge for that back in the day.
All the electronics plugged in all day and night costs a lot. Just leaving the charger plugged in costs money.

Wait, she said he HAD NO CAR!
Unless they were staying overnight, the answer to whatever they want to charge for me would be no.
I had a couple pull in a ring my doorbell a couple nights ago and they wanted to know what I would charge for them to just take a shower! The answer is $0, because you're not going to do that here!

Unless they were staying overnight, the answer to whatever they want to charge for me would be no.
I had a couple pull in a ring my doorbell a couple nights ago and they wanted to know what I would charge for them to just take a shower! The answer is $0, because you're not going to do that here!.
Breakfast Diva said:
I had a couple pull in a ring my doorbell a couple nights ago and they wanted to know what I would charge for them to just take a shower! The answer is $0, because you're not going to do that here!
She meant NOT the car

I have to ask, and I know this is silly, but did they say recharge their batteries or charge their batteries?
See above, my update..... but he wrote "charge batteries" no their or recharge and in talking to him english is not his 1st language. I like the phone today !
Off the topic, some guests from Germany were asking about wildlife, I mentioned a cougar sighting, and he was confused. He looked it up on his translator, and looked perplexed " A middle aged woman....

See above, my update..... but he wrote "charge batteries" no their or recharge and in talking to him english is not his 1st language. I like the phone today !
Off the topic, some guests from Germany were asking about wildlife, I mentioned a cougar sighting, and he was confused. He looked it up on his translator, and looked perplexed " A middle aged woman....
Now THAT'S funny!!!

Funny, but you could use the other name for a cougar... a puma :D

white pine said:
THANKS - what a hoot!

I just read this whole thread outloud to Dh and he is laughing at the whole diatribe. It should be an innkeeper's skit at the NEXT conference!
Who's on first
shades_smile.gif

Hey, you got to remember that the first post was edited sometime after the thread began!

Back