I was very happy to learn about this forum

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Welcome JerseyBoy. I pop in here now and again. Not on here as much as I used to be because I'm in the middle of my very first 7 month respite after 16 years of innkeeping.
Whatever you do don't let any of us scare you away. We're just trying to 'keep it real'.
omg_smile.gif
Breakfast Diva said:
Not on here as much as I used to be because I'm in the middle of my very first 7 month respite after 16 years of innkeeping.
Diva, what are your thoughts on going back to the grind after 7 months off? Looking forward? Dreading? Haven't given it a thought?
It's great that your innsitter has worked out so well! A lot of that is due to the great job you did in building the business and setting it up to run smoothly,.

Oh boy, another voice! Welcome!
Are you indeed in Jersey? Tell us a little about your place so we can put your comments into context..
Yes I am in NJ. I was born here and lived most of my life here but have also had the privilege of living in the beautiful states of West Virginia and Virginia. I spent many summers growing up in North Carolina and spent nearly a year in Houston, TX.
I purchased my B&B in 2003 and started with 8 rooms. Over the years I took on a partner who is a very good friend and we expanded with a second building and now have 17 rooms. When we finish all of our renovations we will end up with 20 rooms. We are very close to the Southern NJ shore (that's beaches to you folks who are not from around here). In addition we own an ice cream store and a small cafe. I used to be fairly active in the PAII forums but they kind of disappeared so I was happy to learn about this site.
JerseyBoy said:
I used to be fairly active in the PAII forums but they kind of disappeared so I was happy to learn about this site.
Well now you have found the redheaded step-child.
omg_smile.gif

Actually there are all sorts on this forum, from presidents of associations, tech gurus, hired innkeepers, hoteliers, ex-innkeepers, young, old and funny, some are more fun and funnier than others, some are curmudgeony downers. I won't say which I am, you can come to your own conclusions. But the fellowship of the innmates is grand.
"You can check in but you can never check out" The Eagles stole that from an innkeeper...
JBloggs said:
JerseyBoy said:
I used to be fairly active in the PAII forums but they kind of disappeared so I was happy to learn about this site.
omg_smile.gif
And WHAT a FIND it is.... redheads and all! LOL

Welcome JerseyBoy. I pop in here now and again. Not on here as much as I used to be because I'm in the middle of my very first 7 month respite after 16 years of innkeeping.
Whatever you do don't let any of us scare you away. We're just trying to 'keep it real'.
omg_smile.gif
Breakfast Diva said:
Not on here as much as I used to be because I'm in the middle of my very first 7 month respite after 16 years of innkeeping.
Diva, what are your thoughts on going back to the grind after 7 months off? Looking forward? Dreading? Haven't given it a thought?
It's great that your innsitter has worked out so well! A lot of that is due to the great job you did in building the business and setting it up to run smoothly,.
I think it's going to be pretty difficult to get back into it. We'll have to hit the ground running because we won't have the stamina that we usually get from slower to busy season. So physically it'll be tough. Mentally, I'm not sure yet! I think it will really depend on whether our assistant will again be available and willing to do the same arrangement next year. If she does (I hope, I hope, I hope), then it will be easier for me to work like a dog for 5 months.
One of the things I'm learning is to give up control and not to micro manage so much! That's a really tough one for me. I know she feels like my presence is always around and I think that's a good thing. Like with most people, she thinks she knows more than she actually does. She's doing an excellent job, but still there are some issues.
We're loving our new laid back lifestyle and taking advantage of it by traveling. FL, China and in March we'll spend a month in the UK. I'm thankful every day that we're able to have this lifestyle even if this is our only time.
DSCF3539%20%28800x605%29.jpg

DSCF4483%20%28744x800%29.jpg

Oh boy, another voice! Welcome!
Are you indeed in Jersey? Tell us a little about your place so we can put your comments into context..
Yes I am in NJ. I was born here and lived most of my life here but have also had the privilege of living in the beautiful states of West Virginia and Virginia. I spent many summers growing up in North Carolina and spent nearly a year in Houston, TX.
I purchased my B&B in 2003 and started with 8 rooms. Over the years I took on a partner who is a very good friend and we expanded with a second building and now have 17 rooms. When we finish all of our renovations we will end up with 20 rooms. We are very close to the Southern NJ shore (that's beaches to you folks who are not from around here). In addition we own an ice cream store and a small cafe. I used to be fairly active in the PAII forums but they kind of disappeared so I was happy to learn about this site.
JerseyBoy said:
omg_smile.gif

Actually there are all sorts on this forum, from presidents of associations, tech gurus, hired innkeepers, hoteliers, ex-innkeepers, young, old and funny, some are more fun and funnier than others, some are curmudgeony downers. I won't say which I am, you can come to your own conclusions. But the fellowship of the innmates is grand.
"You can check in but you can never check out" The Eagles stole that from an innkeeper...
I thought that was "you can check out anytime you like, but you can never leave ..."
Anyrate, welcome. Lots of opinions here, advice is worth what you pay for it
wink_smile.gif

Back