I Wish I Had a Shock Button on My Phone!

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They called here, too... 11:04..
One incoming call on Sat. night at 1:00 am. I didn't answer it but it woke me and kept me awake for an hour or so when I really needed my sleep. On Sat. nights in August, when we are always full, I usually try to remember to turn the ringer volume down. I am always tempted to call the jerks back at 5 am when I get up just to repay the favor of the late call.
Oooohh, that's a great idea!!! I had 5 calls after 9pm last weekend. Everything in town was sold out. We had some empty rooms, but I was not about to go checking people in that late, no way! The last call came in after midnight. I really should have called them all back at 5am. Will do next time *lol*
*67 is your friend
wink_smile.gif

Was reading the topic started to DH - he says (and I am sure we all agree) that we also need a shock system for people who keep pressing the bell when you don't appear instantly! grrr.
If they ring twice I always ask the for the mail. The postman rings twice :)

Do you have a cell phone? I put my cell phone # on my guests' key ring, tell them to reach me at that number, and turn the inn phone off at night. I can't tell you how satisfying it is to look through the caller ID the next morning and see 4 or 5 calls that DIDN'T wake me.

Also, if I'm booked and the phone is driving me crazy with people that wait until the last minute to try and reserve, I put an outgoing message that says "If you are calling for availability for this weekend, I'm sorry, but we are fully booked. If you are calling for reservations for a future date, please leave your name and number and we'll call you back as soon as we're able." This keeps me from listening to the huffs and puffs and irritation because I don't have a room available. As though it's MY fault :).
The B&B phone is the mobile phone.
Yeah, that kind of outgoing message isn't going to work around here.... having to do it in two languages, there just wouldn't be enough time.
Eric Arthur Blair said:
Yeah, that kind of outgoing message isn't going to work around here.... having to do it in two languages, there just wouldn't be enough time.
What about getting one of those throw away phones...pay as you go? That would be the number you give to guests for emergency. Then you can turn off the cell/business phone at night.

Do you have a cell phone? I put my cell phone # on my guests' key ring, tell them to reach me at that number, and turn the inn phone off at night. I can't tell you how satisfying it is to look through the caller ID the next morning and see 4 or 5 calls that DIDN'T wake me.

Also, if I'm booked and the phone is driving me crazy with people that wait until the last minute to try and reserve, I put an outgoing message that says "If you are calling for availability for this weekend, I'm sorry, but we are fully booked. If you are calling for reservations for a future date, please leave your name and number and we'll call you back as soon as we're able." This keeps me from listening to the huffs and puffs and irritation because I don't have a room available. As though it's MY fault :).
Eric Arthur Blair said:
My guesthouse phone number is a free Google Voice number that's forwarded to my mobile phone automatically. I have the mobile phone set to give a unique ring tone when a call comes in forwarded from Google Voice. So I know before I answer the mobile phone if it's a guesthouse incoming call or a personal call.
What you might do is have a free Google Voice number for guests only, as the emergency number they'd call if they need help. When you hear that ring tone, you answer it day or night because it's a guest needing you. If it's not that ring tone, you smile, roll over, and go back to sleep!
Arkansawyer said:
I have the mobile phone set to give a unique ring tone when a call comes in forwarded from Google Voice.
How does the phone know that the incoming call is one that was forwarded?
(what phone are you using, and how did you set this up -- I need to do this!)
Harborfields said:
Arkansawyer said:
I have the mobile phone set to give a unique ring tone when a call comes in forwarded from Google Voice.
iPhone. In contacts I set up a contact named GV Call (for Google Voice Call), entered the phone number of the Google Voice account, and assigned a unique ring tone to that number. When a call comes from that phone number, I hear the unique ring tone and know it's GV calling.
Arkansawyer said:
iPhone. In contacts I set up a contact named GV Call (for Google Voice Call), entered the phone number of the Google Voice account, and assigned a unique ring tone to that number. When a call comes from that phone number, I hear the unique ring tone and know it's GV calling.
We have our land-line forwarded to our cell, but the calls come through with the caller's number, rather than our land-line number. I assumed it would be the same with GV, but maybe not? I'll have to investigate. Thanks!

Eric Arthur Blair said:
My guesthouse phone number is a free Google Voice number that's forwarded to my mobile phone automatically. I have the mobile phone set to give a unique ring tone when a call comes in forwarded from Google Voice. So I know before I answer the mobile phone if it's a guesthouse incoming call or a personal call.
What you might do is have a free Google Voice number for guests only, as the emergency number they'd call if they need help. When you hear that ring tone, you answer it day or night because it's a guest needing you. If it's not that ring tone, you smile, roll over, and go back to sleep!
Arkansawyer said:
Harborfields said:
Arkansawyer said:
Arkansawyer said:
We have our land-line forwarded to our cell, but the calls come through with the caller's number, rather than our land-line number. I assumed it would be the same with GV, but maybe not? I'll have to investigate. Thanks!
Harborfields said:
I assumed it would be the same with GV, but maybe not?
The calls from GV come through as being from your GV phone number.

Back