If we came back for a week this summer...

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The AirBnB was in Tacoma WA..
You know the awful truth? I would absolutely HATE to stay in a room at someone's home. I hate staying with friends or family too. Yes, I said it. I do. I want to relax.
Things that means I can't relax? Tippytoeing because I don't know what's intended for me. Towels that don't match. Worrying about them coming into the room. Worrying that I may upset them. Worrying that they don't keep a clean home, that the towels haven't really been washed. That they don't know how to prepare food for breakfast. That they may be angry because I used too much soap, shampoo or I came in too early or left too late. That the bed won't be firm enough, that it won't be too firm, etc. etc. etc.
And then there is the other side of it.. the apartment. Then I have another set of worries, like will it be as it was supposed to. Why the heck would I want a kitchen? So I can cook? So much for really getting a taste of the town. And does that mean I have to clean up after myself? Where is everything. Who's used those dishes before me? Will the knife be dull?
I'm on vacation. Someone make my breakfast, make my bed, let me relax and stop worrying! Oh and that coffee you served me today? It's brown water.... do you have anything stronger? (Yes, at hotels we use the two packets to make one cup and we still think it's weak!)
Funny how we are in the people biz and this is how we think.
But you are spot on.
I would feel the same way. What's for me to use? What shouldn't I touch? What if I break something? What if something is already broken, will they blame me? What if they don't mention the 3 cats or the 130 lb dog? What if there's no lock on the door? Am I going to be the next viral video on YouTube? 'Old lady in my shower.'
I don't want to share my relaxation space with strangers. I want to relax. I get this way when I realize the B&B has no guest common space and I'm sharing with the innkeepers. Not comfortable.
Madeleine said:
But you are spot on.
I would feel the same way. What's for me to use? What shouldn't I touch? What if I break something? What if something is already broken, will they blame me? What if they don't mention the 3 cats or the 130 lb dog? What if there's no lock on the door? Am I going to be the next viral video on YouTube? 'Old lady in my shower.'
I don't want to share my relaxation space with strangers. I want to relax. I get this way when I realize the B&B has no guest common space and I'm sharing with the innkeepers. Not comfortable.
her mentality was "we only need a place to sleep" and yet, that was not the case here.
She'll do it until the point of where she will run into the problems, or age will change how she feels about things and then she will never do it again and never bat an eyelash about it.
When I was in my 20s, I stayed in youth hostels, shared room, didn't care about the bed, bunkbed... sure! Offer me that today and I'll look at you like you are clearly nucking futs.
Reminds me of the opaque hotel reservation sites and the bid for a hotel sites. At one time these were offering something exciting and interesting and sometimes you got something great. And then the troubled hotels discovered them. Now they could anonymously sell you their worst room in the house, the hotel in the odd location that no one wants to stay there. The hotel room right under the night club. The place next to the needle exchange. The hotel that you wouldn't even send your mother-in-law to stay in, never mind your ex's mother-in-law.
see that's never been me (a symptom of a BB child?) wouldn't put up with crappy stays and knew what I could get for my money!
see that's never been me (a symptom of a BB child?) wouldn't put up with crappy stays and knew what I could get for my money!
She didn't have a crappy stay. Not sure if you were replying to me or another, but she enjoyed the $55 room. That is the point, she thinks we B&B's will be obsolete. Made me see red! haha
no my comment was connected to Eric saying he would share rooms in youth hostels etc when he was young - Me I was Waaaay to fussy for that!
no my comment was connected to Eric saying he would share rooms in youth hostels etc when he was young - Me I was Waaaay to fussy for that!
Oh right.
Yeahhhh we all did some things we wonder how we did or why we did when we were young... haha

Okay so as I poured my cereal this person wanted to talk...she told me all about airBnB and how B&B's are a thing of the past...
Went on and on about how no one wants a B&B, when they can pay $55 to stay in a beautiful place.
I told her a few things. I disagreed with her. I told her about licensing, insurance, permits, etc. I mentioned for example when the Olympics are in your city they give a special permit to open any and every SOFA for lodging to bring in the $, that is not the way it is normally. And she mentioned NYC and I told her how the hotels with big $ are trying to shut out the licensed, inspected and approved LEGAL B&B's...imagine many of the illegal lodgings like those on Air BnB there.
It doesn't matter. She thinks $55 a night is where it is at. I am not happy. I told here there is overhead to running a nice bed and breakfast...whatever.
angry_smile.gif
Joey Bloggs said:
Okay so as I poured my cereal this person wanted to talk...she told me all about airBnB and how B&B's are a thing of the past...
Went on and on about how no one wants a B&B, when they can pay $55 to stay in a beautiful place.
I told her a few things. I disagreed with her. I told her about licensing, insurance, permits, etc. I mentioned for example when the Olympics are in your city they give a special permit to open any and every SOFA for lodging to bring in the $, that is not the way it is normally. And she mentioned NYC and I told her how the hotels with big $ are trying to shut out the licensed, inspected and approved LEGAL B&B's...imagine many of the illegal lodgings like those on Air BnB there.
It doesn't matter. She thinks $55 a night is where it is at. I am not happy. I told here there is overhead to running a nice bed and breakfast...whatever.
angry_smile.gif
I would not have wasted my breath - they do not understand anything other than what they have made up their minds to believe matters. In this case that she is going to get a quality room (with breakfast?) for $55 per night. I am afraid I would have said, Gee, I am really sorry but I do not KNOW anywhere that is a nice place for $55 per night. Best to you. I have some rooms to get ready for my discerning guests. (OK, I may not have said discerning out loud.)

You know the awful truth? I would absolutely HATE to stay in a room at someone's home. I hate staying with friends or family too. Yes, I said it. I do. I want to relax.
Things that means I can't relax? Tippytoeing because I don't know what's intended for me. Towels that don't match. Worrying about them coming into the room. Worrying that I may upset them. Worrying that they don't keep a clean home, that the towels haven't really been washed. That they don't know how to prepare food for breakfast. That they may be angry because I used too much soap, shampoo or I came in too early or left too late. That the bed won't be firm enough, that it won't be too firm, etc. etc. etc.
And then there is the other side of it.. the apartment. Then I have another set of worries, like will it be as it was supposed to. Why the heck would I want a kitchen? So I can cook? So much for really getting a taste of the town. And does that mean I have to clean up after myself? Where is everything. Who's used those dishes before me? Will the knife be dull?
I'm on vacation. Someone make my breakfast, make my bed, let me relax and stop worrying! Oh and that coffee you served me today? It's brown water.... do you have anything stronger? (Yes, at hotels we use the two packets to make one cup and we still think it's weak!)
But you are spot on.
Madeleine said:
But you are spot on.
her mentality was "we only need a place to sleep" and yet, that was not the case here.
She'll do it until the point of where she will run into the problems, or age will change how she feels about things and then she will never do it again and never bat an eyelash about it.
When I was in my 20s, I stayed in youth hostels, shared room, didn't care about the bed, bunkbed... sure! Offer me that today and I'll look at you like you are clearly nucking futs.
Reminds me of the opaque hotel reservation sites and the bid for a hotel sites. At one time these were offering something exciting and interesting and sometimes you got something great. And then the troubled hotels discovered them. Now they could anonymously sell you their worst room in the house, the hotel in the odd location that no one wants to stay there. The hotel room right under the night club. The place next to the needle exchange. The hotel that you wouldn't even send your mother-in-law to stay in, never mind your ex's mother-in-law.
She didn't have a crappy stay. Not sure if you were replying to me or another, but she enjoyed the $55 room. That is the point, she thinks we B&B's will be obsolete. Made me see red! haha
Oh right.
Yeahhhh we all did some things we wonder how we did or why we did when we were young... haha
Joey Bloggs said:
Oh right.
Sleeping in the car, camping out in a beat up van, driving 20 hours straight from ny to fl. Where does the time go?

But you are spot on.
Madeleine said:
But you are spot on.
Oh right.
Joey Bloggs said:
Oh right.
Sleeping in the car, camping out in a beat up van, driving 20 hours straight from ny to fl. Where does the time go?
Hey, Maddie, we did that from Maine to NW of Chicago because I thought school started the next day. We had 4 kids, DH & me in a 5 passenger Jeep - the final leg of a month-long trip. WHERE WAS MY BRAIN? I WAS OLD ENOUGH TO KNOW BETTER!

angry_smile.gif
Joey Bloggs said:
angry_smile.gif
I would not have wasted my breath - they do not understand anything other than what they have made up their minds to believe matters. In this case that she is going to get a quality room (with breakfast?) for $55 per night. I am afraid I would have said, Gee, I am really sorry but I do not KNOW anywhere that is a nice place for $55 per night. Best to you. I have some rooms to get ready for my discerning guests. (OK, I may not have said discerning out loud.)
of the customers who prefer where they stay has the right fire regs, permits, food hygiene, insurance and pays taxes

angry_smile.gif
This guest was unbelievably rude and definitely not worth renting space in your head, never mind in your house!
angry_smile.gif

She is not your target market. I believe that quality B+Bs will always have a market because young, adventurous, non-discriminating guests like this one inevitably age hopefully turning into older, more aware, more thoughtful guests. Those are our target market. Let the $55 crowd find their $55 accommodations and good luck to them. Me? I'm looking to fill with appreciative, mature adults who want something special, to be pampered a bit and know the difference between a flop house and a B+B!

But you are spot on.
Madeleine said:
But you are spot on.
Oh right.
Joey Bloggs said:
Oh right.
Hey, Maddie, we did that from Maine to NW of Chicago because I thought school started the next day. We had 4 kids, DH & me in a 5 passenger Jeep - the final leg of a month-long trip. WHERE WAS MY BRAIN? I WAS OLD ENOUGH TO KNOW BETTER!
I've done the 12-16 hours of driving stupidity before. From here to the coast. From here to North Carolina. ALONE in a car.

But you are spot on.
Madeleine said:
But you are spot on.
Oh right.
Joey Bloggs said:
Oh right.
I've done the 12-16 hours of driving stupidity before. From here to the coast. From here to North Carolina. ALONE in a car.
Doing it with 4 kids - 2 of whom HATE each other - makes being alone for that drive heaven. I have done the Illinois to WV (which is a 12 hour) alone many times. My worst stupidity was going from the NW burbs to Muncie the morning after an overnight ice storm. (Semis were in ditches.) I had taken a vacation day to go to Ball State to see my little brother play basketball (then College of Steubenville - now Franciscan University). My Mother chickened out so I went anyway. I do not think I went over 30 mph the whole way. The return trip was beautiful. And quite honestly, I remember he played about 2 minutes in the game but I do not remember anything else - not even the stadium!

broken_heart.gif
that is heart breaking ... really. i know how hard you work to give each guest a wonderful stay. it's a rude slap in the face. no other way around it.
if it's all about the $ verses $$ or $$$ then so be it.
she will get what she pays for.
i've been tempted to do the air thing but i'm nervous about going to some random person's house and staying in a room ... could be a nut, could be nice. but no regulations, no license, just an ad and a membership (or do they even have to join something to rent?) going by myself ... it scares the heck out of me.

Back