If you were to give only one PR tip to an innkeeper, what would that be?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Don't nickle and dime people..
So true, charge enough initially that you can appear generous with what you offer.
Exactly. I wanted to add more amenities for our guests but with taxes, utilities and food going up I wasn't taking the hit. So I added $10 a night to each room and now all guests get a plate of truffles and a locally made popcorn treat upon arrival. This increase also covers when I put out smores treats to take out to the fire (which in itself costs time and money as seasoned firewood aint cheap). Free bottled water and soda as well. The place we went a few weeks ago was almost $300 a night and along with the moldly bathroom there was an honor bar where they charged $1.00 for a bottle of water or soda. A bottle of water works out to about $.025, so isn't a soda. Add it in and give it to the guests as it increases their happiness level and experience … it came across as cheap asking us to pay $1.00 for water they paid a quarter for.
I also had to raise my rates for only the second time in twelve years. My food costs have doubled and electricity too. I refuse to downgrade the quality of the food I serve to save money. People do remember.
Amenities such as fresh ice, high grade candy bars, fresh baked cookies and organic sodas in the guest refrigerator are still included. All these things add up.
I do not do bottled water as we are on a mountain spring and my water tops any bottled stuff I have ever tasted. After I tell guests, I am amazed at how many folks continue to consume their expensive bottled water while staying here. I guess you are born with your IQ.
Nickel and dime folks and they will feel abused and angry. That stays with them long after they go home. Charge enough to cover it all and then you can afford to be generous with the little extras.
Well said!
thumbs_up.gif

So true, charge enough initially that you can appear generous with what you offer.
Exactly. I wanted to add more amenities for our guests but with taxes, utilities and food going up I wasn't taking the hit. So I added $10 a night to each room and now all guests get a plate of truffles and a locally made popcorn treat upon arrival. This increase also covers when I put out smores treats to take out to the fire (which in itself costs time and money as seasoned firewood aint cheap). Free bottled water and soda as well. The place we went a few weeks ago was almost $300 a night and along with the moldly bathroom there was an honor bar where they charged $1.00 for a bottle of water or soda. A bottle of water works out to about $.025, so isn't a soda. Add it in and give it to the guests as it increases their happiness level and experience … it came across as cheap asking us to pay $1.00 for water they paid a quarter for.
MtnKeeper said:
Free bottled water and soda as well. The place we went a few weeks ago was almost $300 a night and along with the moldly bathroom there was an honor bar where they charged $1.00 for a bottle of water or soda. A bottle of water works out to about $.025, so isn't a soda. Add it in and give it to the guests as it increases their happiness level and experience … it came across as cheap asking us to pay $1.00 for water they paid a quarter for.
Devil's advocate here (and we don't charge for drinks)...
We won't get bottled water for our guests, a few reasons:
#1 we are not a third world country, so drink our delicious mountain water,
#2 stop using already with the plastic bottles, and caps that get tossed around, and
#3 they take 4 or 5 bottles per person, they take them when they go hike, and even when they leave.
Whose back has to go to the store, shop and put them in the cart, put them on the conveyor, put them in the car, carrying them from out there in here, put them where we stow them, put some in the guest fridge or haul them up to the guest room. All the time. MY BACK. My achin' back, amongst everything else I have to shop for all the time. So they aren't .25 cents a piece, they are closer to $150 a piece or more, no I am not being a smart aleck.
"Add it in and give it to the guests as it increases their happiness level and experience … it came across as cheap asking us to pay $1.00 for water they paid a quarter for." No it doesn't, they take it and don't give a thought about it.
I would PAY YOU $5 to not ask me for bottled water.
We suffered through the dilemma of bottled water...some guests feeling entitled and taking 4/person/day, and complaining about it. We wanted to be accommodating but like you, JB, it was costing us a pretty penny in time and $$. This is how we solved the problem.
Now we put out 2 bottles of water in each room at check-in with a note that says
" (Our B+B) is fortunate to have excellent quality tap water with no need for chlorine or other added chemicals. Nonetheless, we are pleased to prove two initial bottles of spring water as an extra courtesy to our traveling guests who prefer bottled water. Please either refill the bottles with tap water to take on your adventures, or set the empties aside so that we can recycle the plastic. Enjoy!"
That effectively took care of the issues. No one asks for more. Plastic is recycled. I can plan on the amount needed based on reservations and we do not appear to be tight wads. Win-Win
I like this solution! Y'all are scaring me. I close on a B&B this month.... I am not retired yet, but winding down to retirement hoping to tele-commute and simultaneously take over a recently renovated Inn... certainly that is doable....?

MtnKeeper said:
Free bottled water and soda as well. The place we went a few weeks ago was almost $300 a night and along with the moldly bathroom there was an honor bar where they charged $1.00 for a bottle of water or soda. A bottle of water works out to about $.025, so isn't a soda. Add it in and give it to the guests as it increases their happiness level and experience … it came across as cheap asking us to pay $1.00 for water they paid a quarter for.
#2 stop using already with the plastic bottles, and caps that get tossed around, and
#3 they take 4 or 5 bottles per person, they take them when they go hike, and even when they leave.
Whose back has to go to the store, shop and put them in the cart, put them on the conveyor, put them in the car, carrying them from out there in here, put them where we stow them, put some in the guest fridge or haul them up to the guest room. All the time. MY BACK. My achin' back, amongst everything else I have to shop for all the time. So they aren't .25 cents a piece, they are closer to $150 a piece or more, no I am not being a smart aleck.
"Add it in and give it to the guests as it increases their happiness level and experience … it came across as cheap asking us to pay $1.00 for water they paid a quarter for." No it doesn't, they take it and don't give a thought about it.
We suffered through the dilemma of bottled water...some guests feeling entitled and taking 4/person/day, and complaining about it. We wanted to be accommodating but like you, JB, it was costing us a pretty penny in time and $$. This is how we solved the problem.
Now we put out 2 bottles of water in each room at check-in with a note that says
" (Our B+B) is fortunate to have excellent quality tap water with no need for chlorine or other added chemicals. Nonetheless, we are pleased to prove two initial bottles of spring water as an extra courtesy to our traveling guests who prefer bottled water. Please either refill the bottles with tap water to take on your adventures, or set the empties aside so that we can recycle the plastic. Enjoy!"
That effectively took care of the issues. No one asks for more. Plastic is recycled. I can plan on the amount needed based on reservations and we do not appear to be tight wads. Win-Win
I like this solution! Y'all are scaring me. I close on a B&B this month.... I am not retired yet, but winding down to retirement hoping to tele-commute and simultaneously take over a recently renovated Inn... certainly that is doable....?
pcgriff said:
Welcome. Doable? Cannot tell as it depends on how many rooms, how much staff, and how demanding the tele-commute part is. Many of us are involved in other things and organizations besides doing the B & B. Good wishes to you of much success.

MtnKeeper said:
pcgriff said:
Anything is doable. Many of us are doable-ites.
thumbs_up.gif

MtnKeeper said:
no of rooms, staff, occupancy ? those are the key questions

MtnKeeper said:
Welcome and congratulations.
I would outside the home and help at my husband's inn. No days off all summer. But I love it. You will too!

MtnKeeper said:
My aunt works at her own business twice a week and it works. It's harder when we have projects to do or things to fix up but we make it work….

MtnKeeper said:
Welcome!
I am same: original business plan had me retire 7 years ago. Didn't, just as well: extra money made it easier to get going and not stress about start up.
Key is how you manage time, how much work there is and who is available to do it. Here I am morning guy: solo breakfast cook and serve, chat with guests and give travel tips, collect payment, do check outs, clean up -- DW does/manages everything else. So, by 10:00 am I can move to the next job. Average about 15 hours/week by telecommute and web conferences. B&B gives me an excuse to avoid actual business travel - clients know I do B&B and think I am nuts -- I get revenge by telling them what I served for breakfast while they are munching stale bagels in a government conference room. And then I have 5 country acres, small orchard, gardens to manage.
Nobody stays with B&B unless they can do long hours.

MtnKeeper said:
Welcome!
I am same: original business plan had me retire 7 years ago. Didn't, just as well: extra money made it easier to get going and not stress about start up.
Key is how you manage time, how much work there is and who is available to do it. Here I am morning guy: solo breakfast cook and serve, chat with guests and give travel tips, collect payment, do check outs, clean up -- DW does/manages everything else. So, by 10:00 am I can move to the next job. Average about 15 hours/week by telecommute and web conferences. B&B gives me an excuse to avoid actual business travel - clients know I do B&B and think I am nuts -- I get revenge by telling them what I served for breakfast while they are munching stale bagels in a government conference room. And then I have 5 country acres, small orchard, gardens to manage.
Tom said:
Welcome!
thumbs_up.gif
and multi-task…….

MtnKeeper said:
Totally agree on the bottled water thing in that we don't want to provide it and are going to go back to a water cooler cause I'm sick of lugging cases and people taking off with 4 for the road.
Our last one broke so I got the bottled stuff instead because people were asking for it. I also had stupid people pouring their coffee into the little water reservoir that catches overflow water and the cream would smell the next day when I found it. We have a fabulous well and an expensive water softening system to make it even better but many people from the city don't and therefore are used to bottled water and won't drink tap water. It's about our guest, not us. (It's the same mindset as those who only use the Keurig machine when we have excellent locally roasted coffee right beside it - creatures of habit but I have it for the decaf and for those who want coffee in the afternoon or evening when I'm not around). I'm saying that if you charge what we charge and you are going to provide it, then add a couple bucks into the cost of the reservation and give it to people. Asking them to pay $1.00 for water comes across as nickel and diming people and it's better to add it in instead.
If you don't want to do bottled water then that's cool, don't. But if you do find a way to make it part of the cost of the stay. Everything we do should be adding to the guest experience. And asking me to fill in my name on a ledger by the mini refrigerator in the main building so that you can add $1.00 to my bill when I'm paying $289 for a room when you could have charged me $295 and put 2 bottles in there gives a different guest experience and makes you a little more money too.

MtnKeeper said:
Totally agree on the bottled water thing in that we don't want to provide it and are going to go back to a water cooler cause I'm sick of lugging cases and people taking off with 4 for the road.
Our last one broke so I got the bottled stuff instead because people were asking for it. I also had stupid people pouring their coffee into the little water reservoir that catches overflow water and the cream would smell the next day when I found it. We have a fabulous well and an expensive water softening system to make it even better but many people from the city don't and therefore are used to bottled water and won't drink tap water. It's about our guest, not us. (It's the same mindset as those who only use the Keurig machine when we have excellent locally roasted coffee right beside it - creatures of habit but I have it for the decaf and for those who want coffee in the afternoon or evening when I'm not around). I'm saying that if you charge what we charge and you are going to provide it, then add a couple bucks into the cost of the reservation and give it to people. Asking them to pay $1.00 for water comes across as nickel and diming people and it's better to add it in instead.
If you don't want to do bottled water then that's cool, don't. But if you do find a way to make it part of the cost of the stay. Everything we do should be adding to the guest experience. And asking me to fill in my name on a ledger by the mini refrigerator in the main building so that you can add $1.00 to my bill when I'm paying $289 for a room when you could have charged me $295 and put 2 bottles in there gives a different guest experience and makes you a little more money too.
Good point about perception.
We put two bottles in every room (in a mini-fridge.) That way, it is controlled. A cooler in the main room, not bottles. It works for us.

Back